You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Lucas will be a fixture in the team for the next five years.

I wouldn't be so sure. There was a lot of talk about possibly selling him in the summer, and I don't mean from Brendan. I think Lucas is worth his shirt at the moment, but it remains to be seen whether Kenny fancies him long term.

Had we signed someone like Martinez or Banega no-one would give a shit about Lucas.

Don't agree with you in the slightest Jairzinho. We haven't had long enough to see how Adam and Henderson work out yet, and they could well prove to be better. Meireles was linking up nicely with other players with a bit of give and go though, and therefore would have been a good player to bridge the transition we're making as a team. Pining is going a bit far too I reckon. Perhaps the tiniest bit wistful is all. Unless we're talking about Code72 or Red Nick of course.

I'm only speaking from a general impression of other fans I've spoken to, and read the views of on here. Meireles' perceived quality improved the moment it was felt his replacement was Adam.

I don't think whether or not Adam or Henderson works out is the point really. I'm talking about the impression people had when the transfers went through, and up until now. Its possible to think Meireles is a better player than Henderson and Adam, but think long term it might work out.

I guess my view is different in that I don't really rate Meireles or Adam. But I think regardless, Adam and Meireles probably couldn't have been at the club at the same time. Neither were going to play holding midfield, that will be Lucas. Neither were going to take Gerrard's position when he's fit, and now as we seem to be playing with just two central midfielders, you couldn't play both even when Gerrard isn't playing.

Provided it's true, we are going to win fuck all for the next five years.

Let it sink in.

Embrace it.

Its probably worth pointing out that I wasn't making an entirely serious point. Nor do I have any idea how long Lucas will stay at the club. But really, its fucking sad that you think if he plays it means we won't win a trophy.

In your opinion, is he the weakest player in the squad? In the team even?

When we sign the archetypal French holding midfielder will we start to crush all before us?

Its probably worth pointing out that I wasn't making an entirely serious point. Nor do I have any idea how long Lucas will stay at the club. But really, its fucking sad that you think if he plays it means we won't win a trophy.

In your opinion, is he the weakest player in the squad? In the team even?

When we sign the archetypal French holding midfielder will we start to crush all before us?

I don't know what an "archetypal French holding midfielder is" but I'd like us to buy a good one, yes.

I don't think winning trophies is dependent on whether Lucas is here or not.

Me neither. I think he does an important, yet quite simple role. Its certainly not a position in this league that is likely to determine success. Which is why I find it so odd that some fans place such significance on his selection.

Despite critics of him, and our defence, our main problem is scoring goals.

We used to have the best midfield in the world or so we sang but now we have a midfield of plodders, none of them stand out in any way all nice players but nothing that will win us a trophy. We need a quality central midfielder that can control a game and enforce some strength, drive and personality onto the pitch and we still need a right and a left winger and a striker that can score actually goals

I rated Raul and classed him as the one decent bit of business Hodgson did. He is a proper footballer, technically brilliant with a cracking engine, and very intelligent. However, despite all of that I also recognise that he still wasn't going to be definite starter and so even though I'd have personally liked to have kept him, I don't think he was indispensable. With his age and the chance to make our money back on him, I can understand the club considering his sale when he's not ever going to be one of the first names on the team sheet. But in an ideal world, I'd still like him to be here.

Just out of interest, what are people's memories of Raul's start to last season? He hd a good spell when he'd settled.

Adam brings set pieces. A massive part of the modern game.

but his set pieces have been no better or worse than anyone elses, we haven't exactly scored lots of goals from corners

I rated Raul and classed him as the one decent bit of business Hodgson did. He is a proper footballer, technically brilliant with a cracking engine, and very intelligent. However, despite all of that I also recognise that he still wasn't going to be definite starter and so even though I'd have personally liked to have kept him, I don't think he was indispensable. With his age and the chance to make our money back on him, I can understand the club considering his sale when he's not ever going to be one of the first names on the team sheet. But in an ideal world, I'd still like him to be here.

Lots of sense there mate.

As for Lucas, well my two penny worth is that he's a half decent/tidy player at what he does and looks much better against the top sides when there is less expectation on him and he doesn't need to contribute going forward (although he has improved on this) as much.

Can I see that he's improved, of course I can. Do I say he's shit, no, because he isn't and when we come to sell we'll probably double our money. Would I like us to improve on him with a physically aggressive, quick and mobile midfielder that offers more going forward, fuck yes.

But that will cost, hence my opinion on no more squad players. We should only be buying a single player for around £20m in January that will walk in to the team with ease or wait till the summer and buy him then.

The next 3 transfer windows I don't want to see more than 4 players coming in but those players would probably cost around the £100m mark.

Charlie Adams technique is amongst the best in our squad. On the ball the lads brilliant, can pick out a 40 yard pass, can ping in a cracking cross and is a serious goal threat from 25 yards. Off the ball he's not so great and needs to improve massively, mainly his positioning imo as opponents often seem to easily glide past him. I must be in a select few who actually think he is an upgrade to Raul at the moment

Adam has had far more of an impact for us than Meireles did.

Dunno about far more of an impact.

I'd agree Adam has been better all round but far from head and shoulders above Raul.

For all the talk of his set pieces and long range passing ability. Neither has stood out for me, but in fairness maybe hes just not getting the chance to show that.

What he has done well lately though is get himself into good positions going forward and link play up well. Hes been atrocious at times defensively often letting men just drift past him, but I think hes been slowly improving week by week and improving that part of his game which is a very good sign.

I think Raul was alot more dynamic and bit more of a threat than Adam but Raul had plenty of flaws himself. I think all in all Adam has been slowly getting better so I get the impression theres alot more to come from him. Whereas with Raul, he was very good at times but sometimes he was fucking dire too.