You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I think Meireles part in the pass and move football we were playing in the latter half of last season is vastly underrated by many. He was a key player for me in tying it all together, and I was not so worried about his defensive weaknesses because of that. I would have liked to keep him at least as a squad player because there is no doubt we have suffered a bit through trying to integrate too many players into the team at once, even if it was only for a season. However, he wanted a pay rise at the end of last season, probably had his head turned by Villas Boas at Chelsea, and it seems Kenny didn't value him all that highly so we are where we are. It certainly was not the end of the world to lose him.

I thought he did very very well when he was here, but I could also see the logic behind letting him go.

With regards to whether we miss him or not; I don't think so. He'd probably have made more of an impact than Henderson, but I don't think there's a vast chasm between them in terms of ability, and Henderson has time on his side.

The only thing I have a slight regret over is that I think we could have been using him with Gerrard out so far this season.

Same here

In what way?

Adam brings more to the team than meireles

In the way they both have a knack of arriving late in the box but with good timing. This is why it's six and half, raul and Adam both bring different qualities to the table, Certain games will suit one more than the other but on the whole I would rather have Adam as I feel his qualities and ability will serve us better both now and down the line.

I still think we're a weaker side without him in it, as zig said he seemed a key part in our excellent results and general play towards the end of last year, and even at the start of this year we'd probably have drawn against 10 man Arsenal if he hadn't have come on.

I think it's a bigger loss to us, than gain to Chelsea though, they didn't really need him in all honesty and seem to be playing him a bit out of position from the admittedly little I've seen of them this year.

Meh, he's alright, hardly a goalscoring genius or anything and stands out at nothing, cant say im bothered he's gone though wouldnt have been disappointed if he stays, he's just one of them types.

Looked very shit in quite a few of the Chelsea games ive seen like QPR, Genk away and Man Utd. They seem to think he's some physical, defensive guru. His typical shithouse style costing them a goal v Arsenal was pretty amusing aswell.

He's a better player than Adam he has good technique, good movement and shows intelligence out on the pitch oh! and he scores goals too. Our style of play would suit him better than the chavs and last year he linked up well with Suarez and Kuyt. We should have kept him and given Adam a miss then we could have played Henderson in the centre where he belongs.

I can understand if Kenny wanted him out to bring players on, but I would have just left it for 1 season given how fragile we are. The difference he made when he came on against Arsenal signalled to me that we should have kept him a while longer.

However, there could have been other issues with squad numbers, wages, personal clashes, etc, that meant he had to go, and so be it, but I would have liked to have had him there as an option

He's a better player than Adam he has good technique, good movement and shows intelligence out on the pitch oh! and he scores goals too. Our style of play would suit him better than the chavs and last year he linked up well with Suarez and Kuyt. We should have kept him and given Adam a miss then we could have played Henderson in the centre where he belongs.

Agree with this. Brings more to the table than Adam and we should have kept him. Hey-ho.

Err... Adam already has several goals... minus that little burst last season Meireles wasn't exactly a constant goal threat.

I think some people never forgave him "for getting Gerrard sent off" against United. Good player, should have kept him. But at the same time, Kenny obviously didn't fancy him in central midfield so then you ask yourself, what would of been the point in keeping him if Kenny wasn't going to use him there? Moving on.

Which knuckle-dragging bellends thought that? Rafael's challenge on Meireles was wild and reckless (he did the same against Lucas at Anfield and was lucky to stay on the pitch) so in that instance, Meireles cannot be blamed for a little self-preservation. It would have been nasty otherwise.

I think we miss him. He didn;t leave a chasm like gap when he left but he's a very good player and we should have as many of them as possible.

Agree with that bit. I liked Meireles' movement off the ball, especially his willingness to break beyond the forward line, so I would certainly have liked him to stay. It was the contract/money situation that meant Kenny deciding to let him go. I think Meireles' agent is one of those that keeps leaking info to the media as well as bombarding his player's club with requests to discuss a new contract, pay rise or other offers.

Err... Adam already has several goals... minus that little burst last season Meireles wasn't exactly a constant goal threat.

If my memory is correct he has scored 3 goals 1 was a penalty 1 was virtually an own goals against Wolves and the other was against an abject Bolton team that are bottom of the league. I think people are right that we wouldn't miss Meireles as much if his replacements didn't make him look so good

Not really. Adam's had a decent start to his Anfield career. I still think we shold have kept Ming. He's a good player.

I don't think your opinion is exactly the norm on this, especially considering your particularly special views on Lucas.

A lot of people think Meireles was replaced with a worse player. Had we signed someone like Martinez or Banega no-one would give a shit about Meireles.

If my memory is correct he has scored 3 goals 1 was a penalty 1 was virtually an own goals against Wolves and the other was against an abject Bolton team that are bottom of the league. I think people are right that we wouldn't miss Meireles as much if his replacements didn't make him look so good

So, Adam has three goals then.

He was rather unfortunate with one great shot that came off the underside of the bar against the Bitters too.

Still, three goals is not a bad start.

I don't think your opinion is exactly the norm on this, especially considering your particularly special views on Lucas.

A lot of people think Meireles was replaced with a worse player. Had we signed someone like Martinez or Banega no-one would give a shit about Meireles.

If we'd signed a player like that they'd be keeping Lucas out of the team, not Adam.

Still, one day.

Don't agree with you in the slightest Jairzinho. We haven't had long enough to see how Adam and Henderson work out yet, and they could well prove to be better. Meireles was linking up nicely with other players with a bit of give and go though, and therefore would have been a good player to bridge the transition we're making as a team. He'd also have been handy with Gerrard out.

Pining is going a bit far too I reckon; perhaps the tiniest bit wistful is all. Unless we're talking about Code72 or Red Nick of course.

A good point either of those 2 would have been fantastic signings instead we bought a poor mans Danny Murphy at least we should get most of our money back on Adam when we sell him to the likes of Aston Villa, Sunderland or Fulham