You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice use of the word 'stultifying'.

I agree that Lucas doesn't add much to us keeping possession but i think Kuyt does, and is also important for us winning the ball back.

Nag, kuyt for all his bluster is just as bad at chasing down opposition possession as he is trying to trap the ball. Watch closely next time he plays - he does a lot of 'chasing' but very rarely puts the opposition player under any real pressure - they usually walk by him, at which point he gives up the ghost, or they lay it off comfortably. His 'all-action' style disguises an almost tragic ineffectiveness.

The other obvious point to make is we wouldn't have to spend so much effort trying to win the ball back if he wasn't playing in the first place.

Nag, kuyt for all his bluster is just as bad at chasing down opposition possession as he is trying to trap the ball. Watch closely next time he plays - he does a lot of 'chasing' but very rarely puts the opposition player under any real pressure - they usually walk by him, at which point he gives up the ghost, or they lay it off comfortably. His 'all-action' style disguises an almost tragic ineffectiveness.

The other obvious point to make is we wouldn't have to spend so much effort trying to win the ball back if he wasn't playing in the first place.

Absolutely spot on cant think of a better way to descibe him

Absolutely spot on cant think of a better way to descibe him

Agree also. All he does is track back after he or Lucas have lost the ball or Carra has hoofed it aimlessly forward. We need players that are comfortable on the ball and can retain possession. If frustrates me how so many of our players can't retain the ball and give a simple pass.

Poulson in the team allows Lucas to do what he does best which is sweet FA. The lad is neither an attacking midfielder or a defensive one. I really don't see what he offers. We have no need for him even as back up if we give Shelvey and Spearing the back up rolls when Stevie/Raul/Poulson are out.

I would have shipped him and Kuyt out and invested in a quality left back and striker. Ideally getting another winger in also instead of Babel if he isn't going to be playing as back up striker or winger

In what way is Lucas better than Poulson? Lucas does nothing well, whereas i can see Poulson has always based his game on closing down play. If he keeps it simple and offloads to a better passer then that is enough for me. Lucas is a dreadful defensive player that just gives away pointless free kicks constantly and offers nothing going forward.

In what way is Lucas better than Poulson? Lucas does nothing well, whereas i can see Poulson has always based his game on closing down play. If he keeps it simple and offloads to a better passer then that is enough for me. Lucas is a dreadful defensive player that just gives away pointless free kicks constantly and offers nothing going forward.

Spot on. Poulsen is also an ok passer, though he looks like Alonso next to Lucas.

Can you rep yourself for me. That is exactly how I see dirk's abilities and impact on our play, and it amazes me that others don't.

The one thing I liked instantly about Poulsen is that his first option is a forward pass and not a spectacular one either,that's fine in my book.

If lucas went then I think it would be starting to look more like Roy's team than Rafas as he would have replaced most of the 'heartbeat' of the team,Masch and Lucas for Poulsen,Raul and Cole.

Another striker is a vital piece in the jigsaw.

How many did he give away against WBA and how many of those were pointless? (Trick question alert, I already know the answer.)

One thing I will say is he has a good attitude and always gives his all.

That is the only good thing I can say and I have fingers crossed he is moved on, Spearing would offer us just as much. Very, very average player.

Would love to see Babel moved on as well but I will not be greedy, Lucas will do.

For me, he's no better than the day he first came to Liverpool, and that's the biggest indictment of him. Indeed some of his best performances - PSV, Inter - were in the earliest days. He simply hasn't progressed and remains ordinary in all aspects of his game (apart from his heading which remains diabolical). I'm sure he'll do well elsewhere in Europe, where the game is slower and his lack of pace and his lack of quick thinking won't matter as much, but he clearly isn't good enough for even a mid-table Premiership club.

I've stood up for him on here a few times ,but he has become such a divisive character for the fans ( Not through his own fault to be fair ) that I think we should sell as long as we get an adequate replacement., as I don't rate Spearing much & think Shelvey is too young to make an impact this season.