You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Masch Gone - fee agreed but not yet disclosed

Slimbo

I think Gerrard is better further forward and Cole isn't as good as Gerrard so should be played wide.

Agreed.

Think we'll probably see some Cole/Torres games just to prove it ain't as good, but Torres often looks forlorn without Gerrard near him, they're almost like an old married couple now.

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed.

Think we'll probably see some Cole/Torres games just to prove it ain't as good, but Torres often looks forlorn without Gerrard near him, they're almost like an old married couple now.

Was thinking the same thing lately. It will probably take a few games but eventually Gerrard will end up moving back in behind Torres and Joe will be shifted over to the left.

The thought of Lucas and Poulsen playing as our two central midfielders is horrific though. We have to try and bring in somebody creative.

We are crying out for a proper centre midfielder as if Gerrard is out we have no one to suit that position to play alongside a DM as yesterday we had no creativity whatsoever in midfield with out 3 DM always passing sideways. The only other real option we had was Aquilani but we put him out on loan ffs.

The Beeb are saying the fee is around £17.25m:

Liverpool have sold midfielder Javier Mascherano to Barcelona for about £17.25m, BBC Sport understands.

The deal is subject to the 26-year-old Argentina captain passing a medical with the Catalan giants.

Barcelona confirmed on their website: "The clubs have reached an agreement in principle for the transfer of Mascherano for the next four seasons."

"Barcelona will report the details once the player passes the medical and the transfer is concluded."

And the Barca statement continued: "The deal was closed after intensive efforts made by the club in the final hours and through the player himself in the negotiations.

"It is hoped Javier Mascherano will arrive in Barcelona this weekend."

Liverpool had been keen to recoup the £18m they paid for former River Plate midfielder Mascherano when he arrived from West Ham.

The Anfield outfit had rejected an initial bid of £16m from Barcelona seven days ago but he subsequently missed Monday's defeat by Manchester City and Thursday's trip to Trabzonspor, where Liverpool secured a place in the group stages of the Europa League with a 3-1 aggregate win.

Mascherano joined Liverpool from West Ham in 2007, initially on a loan deal that was turned into a four-year contract in 2008.

Barcelona failed in an attempt to lure him to Spain last summer but on his return from the World Cup in July, Mascherano made it clear he wanted to leave Anfield, saying his wife could not settle in England.

Since taking charge of Liverpool in July, manager Roy Hodgson had been eager to end the uncertainty surrounding Mascherano's future.

"I am seriously hoping that in the next couple of days it will be sorted out one way or another," stated Hodgson on Thursday. "Although I have no idea which way that will be."

Liverpool have also received a bid for Mascherano from Inter Milan, now coached by Hodgson's Reds predecessor Rafael Benitez.

But former Fulham boss Hodgson dismissed the offer from the Italian side saying: "We received a fax about Mascherano [from Inter], but it was a joke fax."

Meanwhile, Inter have also been linked with a move for Liverpool forward Dirk Kuyt.

However, following the victory over Trabzonspor the Dutch World Cup finalist committed his future to Anfield.

"I have had a great time here so far and hope my future here will be great as well and that I can win trophies with Liverpool," said Kuyt.

Was thinking the same thing lately. It will probably take a few games but eventually Gerrard will end up moving back in behind Torres and Joe will be shifted over to the left.

The thought of Lucas and Poulsen playing as our two central midfielders is horrific though. We have to try and bring in somebody creative.

At his peak 08/09, I'm not sure Rafa's selection of Masch and Xabi was as creative as all that. In terms of keeping the ball moving towards other players - even then Riera and Kuyt weren't exactly Callaghan and Thompson - they excelled.

I know this will sound shite but in terms of work-rate, closing down and being there for team-mates I'd put Kuyt in the centre and Johnson on the wing, with Kelly behind. Cole left side, so you have genuine threats on either flanks to support G&T.

Keep central midfield for the workers, the Everton side in 85 was a good example of that and we kind of copied them in 87 (although Whelan and McMahon and Barnes tower over anyone we can pick nowadays).

From March 08 to May 09, Torres and Gerrard worked. Be silly to disrupt it because Lucas and Poulsen aren't trusted.

Midtable or below at best if that happens......

People must stop thinking about what Gerrard did in that position when Alonso was here.... Last year it did not work as the ball arrived to late, so he needs to play in central midfield to dictate the game...

Lucas/Poulsen in midfield is probably one of the worst central midfields in the PL so that is simply not an option...

Given who else is available to play in CM, we're now in a position where we lose more by pushing Gerrard forward.

Unless we manage to magic up a creative, intelligent ball player for the middle (preferably with pace, power and bite in the tackle), Gerrard should play there.

If you look to United! (sorry but you have to), Fergie often changes formation and positions depending on the opposition. When Ronaldo was there, you could see him play traditional winger in 442, out wide in 451, or off Rooney in 451.

Against West Brom, Gerrard and Poulson, with Kuyt (although I would love to see Daniel) and Nando, against Birmingham maybe Gerrard off Toress with Poulsen and Lucas. Regarding signings, Toivenan can play off the front as well, and Arfa will offer pace that we don't have.

I don't think we can put an argument for one particular formation or style, I would like to see the players become a bit more adaptable.

Surely you've got one too many players in your team there, goatboy?

Reina

Kelly Carragher Agger Konchevsky

Johnson Kuyt Poulson Cole

Gerrard

Torres

Obvious flaws, so maybe some Masch money to be spent. Certain weaker opposition, put Johnson back and try Babel on right for a change.

Reina

Gerrard

Torres

Obvious flaws, so maybe some Masch money to be spent. Certain weaker opposition, put Johnson back and try Babel on right for a change.

I see! I've never really thought of Kuyt in that role myself but it's an interesting suggestion.

Reina

Gerrard

Torres

Kuyt CM? if we're going to go anything like that I'd prefer

------------Reina

Kelly----Carra----Agger----Konchesky

Johnson--Gerrard--Poulson--Cole

-----------Kuyt

-------------Nando

I agree with the Johnson on the right wing stuff though. I'd love to see that tryed out at least. A winger of Johnson's potential would cost a fortune.

I think every suggestion is gonna look a mess to be honest, but he's got Poulsen now and unless we got a late bid for Lucas to bring in Defour we have to make do.

But Johnson and Cole on the wings would be far better than Kuyt and Jovanovic, though maybe we're a bit rusty as far as attack as a form of defence is concerned - ten years rusty!

Hate getting into chessboard management usually because the players should at least have some say. I'm afraid Gerrard may be where he is in the team because, despite evidence to the contrary, that's where he feels he should be. As for Johnson he'd selfishly consider the complete lack of threat for his England place as opposed to trying to barge past Lennon and Walcott.

Kuyt CM? if we're going to go anything like that I'd prefer

------------Reina

Kelly----Carra----Agger----Konchesky

Johnson--Gerrard--Poulson--Cole

-----------Kuyt

-------------Nando

I agree with the Johnson on the right wing stuff though. I'd love to see that tryed out at least. A winger of Johnson's potential would cost a fortune.

That's not bad either, though as I say there's a hint of moodiness about Torres when his little playmate is further than 10 yards away.

Maybe the Cole thing will work and all this academic.

This is a fucking disgrace, we sell to a club who has sold a player in the same position for more when they are getting the better player.

Roy chatted shit saying we would not sell for anything less then what hes worth, this is one of the worst pieces of buisness I have seen the club do, 25m should have been the minimum.

I am raging right now we have got fucked up the arse and took it, roys shit enough in the transfer market but this has took the piss and I dont have confidence in him using the money well.

Now we have shown we are willing to be walked over I can see many teams and clubs fucking us over in the future.

This is a fucking disgrace, we sell to a club who has sold a player in the same position for more when they are getting the better player.

Roy chatted shit saying we would not sell for anything less then what hes worth, this is one of the worst pieces of buisness I have seen the club do, 25m should have been the minimum.

I am raging right now we have got fucked up the arse and took it, roys shit enough in the transfer market but this has took the piss and I dont have confidence in him using the money well.

Now we have shown we are willing to be walked over I can see many teams and clubs fucking us over in the future.

Why are you giving Roy criticism?

As far as I'm concerned this was out of his hands and it's also the only way he can bring in any more players.

Save your vitriol for the wankers that are currently running our club.

200px-Moe_Szyslak.png

I don't think it was Roy.............

Reina

Gerrard

Torres

I'd like to see Johnson playing alongside Poulsen, he's at his best when running from deep and has a decent shot on him, it could work. I also think Kelly is better at right back than him.