You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Masch Gone - fee agreed but not yet disclosed

Slimbo

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MUNDODEPORTIVO.es

Agencies - 01/09/2010 17:31

The FC Barcelona Liverpool paid 24 million euros for the hiring of Javier Mascherano, a figure that has kept secret the last few days at the request of the British bank, but without explaining the reason for it.

The Catalan side argues that the signing of the captain of Argentina was made possible by the 20 million offered by the club and the player 4m was removed from the salary agreed to sign for Barca, although much higher than that perceived in Liverpool.

So he's finally revealed the "truth" behind his exit :whistle:

Javier Mascherano blames Liverpool 'lies' for acrimonious exit | Football | The Guardian

Javier Mascherano's desperation to leave Liverpool led the Argentina captain to take a pay cut to complete his £20m move to Barcelona. The midfielder has claimed broken promises – and not his family's failure to settle on Merseyside – prompted his decision to force a move from Anfield.

The 26-year-old finally joined the Spanish champions on Monday night following a 12-month transfer pursuit plus a bitter end to his Anfield career, amid suggestions he refused to play in Liverpool's 3-0 defeat at Manchester City to secure an exit. Mascherano rejects that allegation and has denied that his main motivation for leaving Liverpool was to be reunited with his wife and young children, who have lived in Buenos Aires for most of his time on Merseyside.

Instead Mascherano, who was refused a move to Barcelona last summer but promised he could leave if Liverpool received an acceptable offer this year, and who was offered a new contract at Anfield last season, has blamed his former club for the split.

"When they started to involve my family and to say things that didn't make sense, I obviously suffered," he said. "They'd promised me something for a whole year and they never fulfilled their promise. And that didn't have anything to do with my family or anything else. When you read or hear lies, you obviously get angry."

In announcing their agreement with Liverpool last week Barcelona praised "the intensive efforts made by the club in the final hours and through the player himself in the negotiations", and it is understood Mascherano accepted less than his £70,000-a-week wage at Anfield to secure a four-year contract at the Camp Nou. The midfielder said today: "I'd also like to thank the club for their efforts. They've spent a lot of money and it was my duty to give way a bit to make this dream come true. When this chance came up I didn't hesitate. I've joined the best club in the world and the best team in the world."

Mascherano expressed his gratitude to the former Liverpool manager Rafael Benítez for rescuing him from a miserable spell at West Ham United in 2007. He said: "Rafa taught me tactics. He's one of the coaches who have taught me the most in my career and I'm very grateful to him. He was fundamental. He gave me the chance to join Liverpool. He had confidence in me at a time when, perhaps, nobody would have dreamed of giving me an opportunity. I'll be grateful to him all my life."

Liverpool's new £3.5m signing Paul Konchesky is to make his debut in Jamie Carragher's testimonial against an Everton XI at Anfield on Saturday.

"When they started to involve my family and to say things that didn't make sense, I obviously suffered," he said. "They'd promised me something for a whole year and they never fulfilled their promise. And that didn't have anything to do with my family or anything else. When you read or hear lies, you obviously get angry."

Is he suggesting we made up the family thing to unsettle our own player?

Is he suggesting we made up the family thing to unsettle our own player?

I think what he's saying is, he was promised that he could leave the club last summer, then once an offer came in for him the board started fannying about and making it difficult for a deal to happen.

That's what i got from this -

In announcing their agreement with Liverpool last week Barcelona praised "the intensive efforts made by the club in the final hours and through the player himself in the negotiations"

I don't think he's suggesting the club circulated rumours to unsettle him, rather more to add a false credence to his eventual sale.

Edited by Coro

TLW Poster in Self-Vindication Assertion "I feel vindicated," says 6ft hunk razor (21) toying with his flowing golden locks

"A piece of my heart will always be in Liverpool. I will miss the city terribly. [Lap it up you English peasants!]"

GUARDIAN: But Mascherano was keen too to rebuild bridges with fans at Liverpool, with whom he spent three seasons. "I hope they get back into the Champions League as soon as possible. I still have a lot of affection for the fans of the club and I always will."

He tried against Arsenal. He's paid 70 grand a week or whatever to do that. He did nothing above and beyond the call of duty. He played ok, no better. He turned up for work for a company paying him a huge salary. A horrible, spoilt, over-paid, ungrateful trecherous rat.

GUARDIAN: It is understood Mascherano accepted less than his £70,000-a-week wage at Anfield to secure a four-year contract at the Camp Nou.

I reckon the 3 million quid "sacrifice" Jim was referring to a wage cut. Not exactly a "dip into the pocket to pay the difference" at all then.

Anfield Road » Mascherano paying the price for happiness

Feeble, utterly feeble (no, not the autoplay).

Interesting to note whoever made this "promise" has not been outed. Plenty of wiggle room for everyone to keep their little wars going.

Another "magnificent servant" ahem 'driven out'.

Thing is Goatie, it's the shit state the club has been in that it's hardly a reach for anyone to think that either Rafa promised Mash a new contract if he stayed for another year cos he'd fucked up with Alonso, that then Purslow refused to give it which annoyed Mascherano, or that someone in the club was dripping the wife is unhappy story because they needed the cash from selling Mascherano but didn't want to be seen selling him outright so tried to slyly lever him out, or that Mascherano is just a bit of a twat who likes Elton John.

You can hardly blame people for speculating on lies and ulterior motives coming out of any level of the club can you? It's all we've been fed for the last two years.

Masch wanted to go LAST summer

it isn't a recent develoment

why people are up in arms about the fee i don't know either

last summer we would've got more and next summer we would've got less

only thing i'm fucked off about is Roy being shafted over the money recouped from transfer fees this window - but again nothing new there

Found this on Rawk

MUNDODEPORTIVO.es

Agencies - 01/09/2010 17:31

The FC Barcelona Liverpool paid 24 million euros for the hiring of Javier Mascherano, a figure that has kept secret the last few days at the request of the British bank, but without explaining the reason for it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my opinion :

24m euros = £20m = H&G alledged payment due by the 1st?

I would think that this would not be allowed though as I can't see them being able to get any hands on the money if we are meant to be in the process of a sale.

doesn't do any harm in negotiations to not let on how much cash you have does it - i think the fee was kept quiet until the end of the transfer window so as not to prejudice our position in buying raul or the aborted carlton cole/pav fiasco.

although i'm not happy with anything the club does at board room level - this is a big improvement on the past. I seem to recall lots of transfers or misses when the price kept going up because we showed our hand to early - a bit like when chelsea or mancity are involved these days