You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Masch Gone - fee agreed but not yet disclosed

Slimbo

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How did Purslow act incompetently here?

It was evident even preceding the summer that Mascherano wanted to leave. The competent thing to do would have been to get good market value for him.

Instead we foolishly tried to keep hold of him whilst, at the same time, trying to prevent him from moving to Inter and thereby creating the impossibility of a bidding war between Barcelona and another club. This, at the same time, created problems with the player (such as allegedly refusing to play).

The result of these factors was that we ended up getting a fee for him which, in today's market, was a derisory amount to pay for the captain of Argentina.

Not to mention that we have left ourselves with very little time to reinvest it.

Purslow has to take responsibility for some of this because he was the man in charge of negotiations.

It was evident even preceding the summer that Mascherano wanted to leave. The competent thing to do would have been to get good market value for him.

Instead we foolishly tried to keep hold of him whilst, at the same time, trying to prevent him from moving to Inter and thereby creating the impossibility of a bidding war between Barcelona and another club. This, at the same time, created problems with the player (such as allegedly refusing to play).

The result of these factors was that we ended up getting a fee for him which, in today's market, was a derisory amount to pay for the captain of Argentina.

Not to mention that we have left ourselves with very little time to reinvest it.

Purslow has to take responsibility for some of this because he was the man in charge of negotiations.

I'm still wondering was that the whole point. Leave it right till the end so the money can conveniently dissappear, Maschers agent said a few weeks back that if any deal was going to be done it would be done right at the end of the window. Now its most likely that was Barcelonas idea to put pressure on us, but I wouldnt put it past Purslow and Co to deliberately stall the deal for as long as possible so theres no time to reinvest it.

The next 4 days will soon tell. I'm betting maybe one signing worth 4 or 5 million(probably Konchesky) and that will be about it.

It was Rafa's decision to keep him last season! Nothing to do with Smarmy Arse, he for once is blameless.

There is not much money about at the moment, so naturally the fee will not be as high as it would have been in the past.

This is all speculation though. No-one has any idea of the fee involved or of Purslow's role in the negotiations least of all if we had some Inter embargo going on which would make no sense at all.

I don't think it was Roy.............

Roy came out and said he would not be sold for less then hes worth so if he had nothing to do with accepting the bid why did he come out and say this?

Also surely the board would take in to consideration if the manager said this is way below what we should be getting so I think he had something to do with us accepting the fee.

The whole footballing world knows masch is worth more then this, we look like dicks and if roy was happy for the board to control how much we get then he is the yes man we all feared he would be.

Roy came out and said he would not be sold for less then hes worth so if he had nothing to do with accepting the bid why did he come out and say this?

Also surely the board would take in to consideration if the manager said this is way below what we should be getting so I think he had something to do with us accepting the fee.

The whole footballing world knows masch is worth more then this, we look like dicks and if roy was happy for the board to control how much we get then he is the yes man we all feared he would be.

It's called negotiating. Two sides bargain and they meet in the middle.

I think the club have made this "Refusing to play" shit up. I haven't seen any quotes or anything. I think they made it up so they could get rid for the money.

You're right, there 's no proof that Masch refused to play. Hodgson talks a lot, spins a lot, plays politics with the media a lot but on more than one occasion his deliberatley ambiguous comments have proven to be misleading. His comments about Masch were that he did not know where he was and that he was not in the right frame of mind to play. That could mean several things, none of them being that Masch had refused to play.

Hodgson misrepresented the Masch to Barca situation and the Kuyt to Inter situation. He also misrepresented his conversations with Moratti of Inter. He said he had received guarantees that Inter would not be trying to sign LFC players. When Inter proved him a liar a few days later by submitting a written offer for Masch he tried to wriggle out of it by belittling the offer - not even replying to it. He tried to shift attention from himself by spouting off about Rafa's contract, making unfounded accusations of bad faith on Rafa's part. Hodgson is a flapper. And the sad truth is its got nothing to do with him . Purslow is the organ grinder and Hodgson is his monkey.

It's called negotiating. Two sides bargain and they meet in the middle.

Yes it is, so you agree with me that roy was involved in negotiations?

Proper managers get the right fee not meet in the middle, ferguson-ronaldo, benietz-alonso,wenger-fabregas.

If the decision was made by purslow it was poor buisness and if by roy poor management as he has not done what he said and has given in to player power, either way we made a massive fuck up and sold a world class player for a lot less then hes worth.

Proper managers get the right fee not meet in the middle, ferguson-ronaldo, benietz-alonso,wenger-fabregas.

If the decision was made by purslow it was poor buisness and if by roy poor management as he has not done what he said and has given in to player power, either way we made a massive fuck up and sold a world class player for a lot less then hes worth.

I don't know who was involved in negotiations. We got rid of a twat who held us to ransom. He isn't worth anything over £20m anyway. And before you starting chatting about Toure, city over pay for everybody

I don't know who was involved in negotiations. We got rid of a twat who held us to ransom. He isn't worth anything over £20m anyway. And before you starting chatting about Toure, city over pay for everybody

If you think masch is only worth 20m you are wrong, its not only toure look at how much the dms that have gone to top clubs over the past few seasons and you will see we got way under market value.

Gago,Emerson,both Diarras,Melo,Hargreaves,Palacios, ramieres and plenty more, masch is rated as the best dm in the world as I said 25m should have been the absolute minimum.

Earlier in the summer we were in a fight to hold on to our three world class outfield players.

Torres

Gerrard

Mascherano

If you were to take a poll saying one of the three would have to go, it would be pretty close to 100% of reds fans who would say Mascherano.

So, much as the news is bad right now because we have lost a good player, we need to remember that for a while earlier in the summer we thought it would be worse than this.

Mascherano is an excellent player no doubt, especially in his particular role of defensive midfielder. But I would like to suggest that that particular talent is not the main thing that will be needed to win the league. You need options going forward, and goals pouring in, to win this league.

A world class defensive midfielder is obviously going to be vital in a top European game or against the better sides in the Prem, but I would suggest that you will get more points over the course of the Prem season if you are flat track bullies against 14 teams by playing more of an attacking style, rather than keeping it fairly cagey, as we have done for much of the past few years.

If Poulsen steps into Mascherano's role there will be a slight step down, but he is a seasoned pro who knows what he is doing. We have to see him in a red shirt of course, but I think he will do OK for us. If this means the Mascherano fee can be spent by improving our attacking options, then there is a good chance that overall we might even be better for it.

I'm sorry he has gone, but it really could have been much worse in terms of player sales this summer.

Finally, while player movement in/out is a nice distraction, given that we're supposed to be football fans after all, we cannot take our eye off the ball and should not rest until we have proper owners.

G&H out.

This is all speculation though. No-one has any idea of the fee involved or of Purslow's role in the negotiations least of all if we had some Inter embargo going on which would make no sense at all.

No it isn't. Hodgson has said that Benitez signed an agreement not to go after our players, that infers that we wouldn't sell directly to Inter and Purslow is conducting our transfer negotiations as stated numerous times by Hodgson.

Roy is not involved in any negotiations. He can recommend a player to the board (Purslow) but has nothing to do with the little details.

It's not the managers setting the fee, despite how it's often portrayed by the media. As above, a manager can say he doesn't want to sell a player, or he's interested in another player, but the actual fee is what the clubs are willing to pay. The negotiations are with club officials. At European clubs, the president sets the agenda. The most successful in recent times are Costa of Porto, Aulas of Lyon and Del Nido of Sevilla. All great at playing hardball over transfers.

As regards "meeting in the middle" using the examples you've given, ManU were talking about £100m-plus for Ronaldo at one point, purely to make Madrid back off. They knew it wouldn't come to that much. With Alonso we played hardball even though the player had made it clear he wanted out. With Ronaldo and Alonso, Madrid were prepared to push the boat out following a season dominated by Barcelona. With Fabregas, last I checked he was still at Arsenal, who refused to play ball with Barcelona.

Roy has NOT given in to player power. Regarding the player's value, again it comes down to what the market believes he's worth. Of course we would want more, but there exists a possibility that the player doesn't move because no-one is willing to pay the big bucks, and the player ends up staying, sulking and disrupting the squad because he's unhappy. The manager has to consider the needs of the squad over and above the needs of an individual, regardless of how good the individual is. Like it or not, team spirit allows ability to flourish, not the other way round.