You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Three points and a clean sheet. Kuyt looked really impressive on the left. I thought Jovo did quite well, certainly our most dangerous player in the first half. Poulsen is my MoM purely because he was consistently good throughout the 90. The performance suffered massively because the defence STILL holds on to the ball for far too long, it drove me mad when Rafa was here and it still irritates. Game was crying out for Patches, especially when Maxi's inclusion showed that a bit of finnesse on the ball can get the full backs a bit twitchy.

Harsh red for Morrison I thought, a bit like the Cole one, a definite yellow, but not a red it was a bit late and caught him, but he didn't jump in.

I was expecting a performance like this. I didn't think we would be that bad in the 1st half and generally be that slow to start. The 2nd half we moved Jovo and Kuyt around as well as pressing more especially further up the pitch. This gave us a better tempo and the game began to stretch. 1 or 2 scary moments but a satisfactory performance.

A decent performance from Pouslen, a good 2nd half from Kuyt, an energetic performance from Gerrard and good mobility and a fantastic goal from Nando.

A good building block for Birmingham with some new additions coming in and then Cole available for the next game.

I for one see this as a better performance compared to City and look forward to seeing a better performance against Birmingham. Onwards and upwards we go!

Well, level points with City and Spurs after three awful games, two of which came against big rivals. Could be much worse, especially if the new signings (I include Cole) add fluidity .

This is something that we have been missing for along time due to the tactics and players. I think we will have a bit more of it when Cole comes back into contention, Jovo getting a bit more confidence as well as the new boy from Portugal.

Not sure what game a few of you were watching but I thought Poulson looks a very astute signing. He held the fort in a midfield that was constantly being overran and has that Hamann type quality that all great defensive midfielders need of being able to do just enough to make it difficult for an opponent.

He's not the all action type of player that he replaced but his positional sense is much better and he doesn't give away half as many fouls either by the looks of it. I'm well happy with what he offered today and my only worry is he's a bit too adventurous with some of his passing but then he pretty much had to be. Meireles will compliment him perfectly I think.

I like Jova as well but he got lost today, didn't look at all himself and mentally just didn't seem right.

For all those giving out to Roy, he waited till the time was right, made exactly the right change and we won the game with a clean sheet. Is it his fault Torres still isn't 100%? No. Was it his fault Skrtel can't head a ball? No. Give him time for fucks sake! Lucas clearly offered little to nothing and although improved Agger is still no left back.

Maxi should deffo start the next game

I'm actually going stick up for Poulsen, he did a decent job, hardly lost the ball and is still trying to get match sharp (I'm not going dwell on his Midfield partner, I've always been willing to give Lucas a chance but that straw snapped last year and he really can't pass, mind you the team didn't do that good a job today).

Kuyt played well, Jovo not so much, Torres looked good and with fitness he would have put that one in from Gerrard's through ball. I think Woy has realised that the midfield isn't good enough and thus is why we have Meireles arriving. Plus Joe Cole is to return.

I think it was woeful, but 3 points is 3 points and for today and with the players coming back I have hope but that hope is with a hint of worry. Tied with Spurs and City after 3.

Pretty dire performance- too much standing around and too little intensity.

Poulsen, Kuyt, Torres, Carra and Jova did pretty well.

Gerrard tried, Skretl was lucky to get away with it.

Johnson and Agger not good enough along with Lucas.

Maxi with a nice cameo- though was hoping we would sub Lucas and try to get some better possession with Gerrard dropping back a little.

3 points earned, lets hope for the same with a better performance against Birmingham.

The vision of carragher maurrading down the right for about 6 yrds then knocking it forward into 'space' is getting really fucking monotenous.

As is his yelling out our players. Apart from the ugly spectacle it makes it also falsely suggests that he is better, more knowledgeable or more of a LFC custodian than they. His screaming at Kuyt after the final whistle, off the pitch but in full view of the cameras and public, should be met with a heavy club fine and suspension. We all know what his snarling at Arbelo led to.

not the greatest performance obviously, and while i'm not getting too worried too soon I do think that hodgson picked the wrong team again (as well as city game) he should have played todays system against city but it was wrong today. should have had gerrard in midfield (probably with poulsen) with either babel or pacheco (pacheco in my opinion) alongside/just behind torres and maybe maxi instead of jovanovic, who looks very average to me. nothing against him 'cause he clearly giving his all but don't think he going to be good enough. also i thing we should be looking to sign a creative wide midfield player (preferably with pace) rather than a striker (would like both but doubt we can afford that). babel good enough to cover torres in my opinion and should definitely be ahead of ngog in pecking order. then you have got cole, pacheco, kuyt, gerrard (rather he in midfield though) who can all play off the main striker. don't know which wide midfielder we should get but it's not my job to know! lol

I'm actually going stick up for Poulsen, he did a decent job, hardly lost the ball and is still trying to get match sharp

Not sure he needs so much sticking up for, judging by most reactions to today's performance. He did a lot better than I thought he'd do. After Masch and Momo, having a holder, rather than a destroyer is a nice change. Can only hope the rest of the season finds Poulson paired with a few creative folks--either on the wings or in the middle.

Why was Carra having a pop at Kuyt at the end there?

With about a minute to go, Kuyt got the ball under control in midfield. Instead of holding onto it, he tried to release Gerrard with a long pass over the top, giving it straight to Carson.

Just a guess of course, but if I had been a defender, I would have bollocked my team-mate for it as well. Bit rich coming from Carra though, as he does that at least 10 times every game (giving the ball to the opposition I mean)(6). Probably why Kuyt looked less than happy about the message...

Played shit but won. Another 4-5-1 formation, another poor performance.

Positives were good sensible subs at the right times, and at least in the table, we've 4 points, which was more than we had at this stage last year.

Other than that, little to report.

Good to see that some chooses to look at the positives. Not taking the piss, I mean it. Still my honest opinion is that this was an utterly shocking performance. For long periods it looked like the only thing we were capable of was to sit back and defend. Then hope for some magic from Gerrard/Torres on the break. Remember this was West Brom. Probably one of the 3 worst away teams in the league. They could easily have won it, looked the better team for most of the game. Call me a negative bastard, but I really thought this was piss poor.