You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

hashimwars

Guest PurpleNose
I think it's more a concern over what some people will want if we are off the pace for the top four after ten or fifteen games. Some of the criticism seems excessive after what were always going to be two very difficult games, and I get the distinct impression of knives already being sharpened.

I fully expected, and still expect, us to have a shit season.

We did ok against Arsenal. Real backs to the wall stuff. Was impressed with the attitude of the players.

City was fucking abysmal, and most of the blame should be placed on the manager for setting the team up so poorly.

Ultimately he'll be judged at the end of the season, or should be anyway.

But he's going to get criticism, he should be expecting it.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't say I was thrilled by the team either, but I also shouted "what are you doing?" to the players more than I ever have.

Some of their judgement calls were atrocious and that never helped. Selection wasn't helped by Mascherano and Cole.

Plus the other team aren't bad.

Bad night all round.

Guest PurpleNose
Criticism is fine. Hateful, bitter shite is not. Never was.

True, but its also to be expected.

He at least has the advantage of being English, and a reputation within the media for being a nice fella. That will prevent him from getting some of the horrible shite Houllier and Benitez got.

Do you not think at least a hint of bitterness is to be expected from some fans?

Especially those who were big fans of the last manager.

We should of course admit that there was a marked difference in the reaction to Rafa's appointment than there was in July to Roy's. That will have an effect on the reaction to every defeat this term.

I think the line most used and abused on this and other forums is "hope to be proved wrong, like". Some quite clearly seem delighted they aren't after two whole games against two teams we'd beaten 1 in 7 beforehand.

EDIT; actually, won 1 in 9 sorry.

It's actually 3 in last 15!!!

Do you not think at least a hint of bitterness is to be expected from some fans?

I was a big fan of his for a long time, but I never turned personal on him when he lost his grip and then stopped trying to do his job properly.

I would expect people to show at least a modicum of respect to any Liverpool manager. It's how we roll.

I don't hate Roy, I pity the fool.

Saving mine for Purslow, did you see him sat near Kenny, the body language was telling, he was straining to be proved right about his little project, oh and by the way Roy resign my friend, do it quickly and you may just leave with your reputation and dignity intact, who knows you may even get the England job at some point but you are not and were never good enough for LFC. Refuse to do so as I expect then pull us down with you and never manage a big team again. It's your choice.

Very good point. I think it's also responsible for some of the contempt, at times sneering, the lesser, and usually British, managers get on here.

Obviously it be silly to generalise, as one mans version of something is not the same as anothers, but the regression to conservative/defensive football ultimately destroyed our season. It happened in Houllier's last season, too. The manager retreats into a safety first philosophy - which always starts out as " steadying the ship" because of a few goals being conceded - and becomes unable/unwilling to fathom or adopt more attacking football.

I see this bit slightly differently, it wasn't regression to conservative football that cost us. The regression was because Benitez threw the dice on the final transition to his expansive game, with flying wingbacks, isolated center backs, high line, positional rotation et al and which all just fell to poo because it was beyond the players he had available, so in order to save his job, back to conservative football it was. Unfortunately the players he was left with weren't suited to that game. So he had no nice safe gameplan to fall back on. Hodgson needs to make sure he doesn't repeat that mistake.

We were at our most effective in the past twenty years towards the end of the 08/09 season - had Mascherano been fit for the CL first leg and had we not pawed at Hull etc, we'd have been looking at an incredible season - which is the blueprint for how any manager should try and set us up. I do wonder if you've already clocked that Hodgson isn't that type of manager and have tailored your hopes accordingly?

We're agreed on the last paragraph.

Well I don't think you'll ever see us play like that 08/09 season. That was the ultimate expression of a certain philosophy that he does not share. Benitez aspired to that AC Milan philosophy, Hodgson IMO aspires to the way Manure play.

Tailored hopes, for sure, no money, unbalanced squad, a 442 mindset with a 4231 playing staff, decent players disappearing, etc etc. BUT he's only been brought in to plug some breaches, as long as he realizes this and doesn't go off and try and build a team in his image a la Benitez, he's good enough for what we need right now, which is top 4.

Motivate the players, setup the back 4 so the strengths complement the weaknesses. Balance the midfield and don't fuck with Torres. That's well within his reach.

True, but its also to be expected.

He at least has the advantage of being English, and a reputation within the media for being a nice fella. That will prevent him from getting some of the horrible shite Houllier and Benitez got.

Don't know about you but I'm a fan of the team,not the manager.

The managers are just the custodians for a while.

I would expect people to show at least a modicum of respect to any Liverpool manager. It's how we roll.

Exactly Zigackly!

We should of course admit that there was a marked difference in the reaction to Rafa's appointment than there was in July to Roy's. That will have an effect on the reaction to every defeat this term.

Yep, that is the danger, but I think the petulance has always been there. I can remember coming back from Middlesborough away in 99' and Briane Deane had scored the winner, and sitting the car as we left the smog riddled shithole behind listening to twat after twat, phone up and demand he was dismissed!

This petulance is not new, the only difference now is that the Idiots have moved beyond boring the pub and are using a variety of media to let us know just what needs to be done!

Apparently we need less shit players!

But again Zig's made the point that such action will be judged on the circumstances.

Rafa won 7 of his first 17 league games, despite having a reasonable budget though nothing extraordinary. Hodgson has no CL camouflage and we all know how cack-handed things are behijnd the scenes.

If he is to be judged to a higher standard than Rafa 04 and Liverpool fans make their displeasure so obvious and so soon, they will be judged accordingly and negatively.

And rightly so.

Again I agree.

But then had we appointed Manuel Pellegrini and the same thing happened, do you think the media would be as quick to jump to his defence?

Somehow I think not.

And in Rafa's first season did we not have the worst away performance in 40 years?

English good, Foreign bad?

And in Rafa's first season did we not have the worst away performance in 40 years?

I think for shit journalists nationality is always the first and easiest target eg Capello when he began to struggle.

Trust me, they'll find something else for Hodgson.

Southampton 2005; Hansen said it was the worst he'd seen in 14 years (the cock) and the press moved it up to worst team in 40 years.

I think for shit journalists nationality is always the first and easiest target eg Capello when he began to struggle.

Trust me, they'll find something else for Hodgson.

Southampton 2005; Hansen said it was the worst he'd seen in 14 years (the cock) and the press moved it up to worst team in 40 years.

The press don't need a reason to turn into hypocritical twats over night.

I don't remember too much support for Roy Evans!

The irony being he was in charge of a team that was challenging and producing attractive football yet he was never put forward for England!

I think you are right to a certain degree, the English journalistic style of contacts and insiders, means that Foreign managers who don't play those games, or don't have those contacts, will always be more susceptible to criticism from the Media.

I fully expected, and still expect, us to have a shit season.

We did ok against Arsenal. Real backs to the wall stuff. Was impressed with the attitude of the players.

We have been pretty dire since our first pre-season game to be honest.

The first half against as arsenal was as poor as anything, our fullbacks had all the spaceand the time in the world to move forward but they did not, we passed the ball sideways at the back just for either Carra or Skrtel to hoof it forward to either a Arsenal defender or midfielder, our midfielders did not exploit the space left open to them and to be honest it was pretty shambolic.

The second half was a different thing, but not really a match where you could judge anything about how we will shape up or how our results will go later in the season.

We did a good job, could have got a second one and was really unlucky to concede and it felt like a loss when the game finished.

The other game where we have played good football was against Rabotnicki at home, but again you have to ask the question if its possible to use our performance in that game as evidence of anything or if our opponent was just pure shite and gave us every space in the world to let us play the good attacking football we did on the day?

I was worried before we strated the season, I`m still worried because nothing I have seen so far apart from the two occasions described above which I find it difficult to analyse anything from I have seen nothing to suggest we will have a stormer this season, but I still have the hope.

Hodgson is going to be faced with the same problems Benitez was. He will come up short like Benitez did. No manager will succeed at Liverpool, especially in its current state. Sacking Benitez was ridiculous for that reason alone.

Hodgson doesn't stand a chance. It's not his fault either. I fear the fans will turn on him very quickly and it will be very messy. Much more so than it was with Rafa. Benitez took all sorts of stick, but that was largely tempered by a begruding respect for what he'd achieved. Hodgson doesn't have that luxury. Good luck, Roy, and take out the flack jacket, the bullets are already flying.

This.

The LMA manager of the year and all round media darling got our worst result at City in 70 odd years with the biggest tactical naivety display ever seen , how can you not love him/want to give him a chance, etc

I still think he'll be gone by xmas but for the sake of the club I hope he succeeds

Guest davelfc
Don't know about you but I'm a fan of the team,not the manager.

The managers are just the custodians for a while.

And that's why we have the Rush and Fowler suites and the Keegan Gates and the Dalglish statue.

The LMA manager of the year and all round media darling got our worst result at City in 70 odd years with the biggest tactical naivety display ever seen , how can you not love him/want to give him a chance, etc

I still think he'll be gone by xmas but for the sake of the club I hope he succeeds

You really don't, do you?

Shankly lost his first home game 4-0.