You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Kenny Huang thread - part 2

dave u

• Replies 868
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, and I don't have the quote to hand, Broughton said he HOPED a deal could be concluded within a matter of months. He was clear in his aims for the final solution, but non-committal with regards to time-frame.

Actually, and I DO have the quote to hand, he was asked how long he would be chairman and he said until the club is sold. A matter of months.

Its academic though, he has or will soon have missed every date he's given.

Actually, and I don't have the quote to hand, Broughton said he HOPED a deal could be concluded within a matter of months. He was clear in his aims for the final solution, but non-committal with regards to time-frame.

Nope.

“What I’m asking from Liverpool fans is a little patience,” Broughton, who’s also the chairman of British Airways Plc, said in a telephone interview. “We are talking a maximum of a few months."

Liverpool May Be Sold Before Next Soccer Season, Broughton Says - BusinessWeek

I think the issue, for me at least, is what are you going to achieve ?

Well you might make them uneasy about it at least, and it's far easier to change your bank account than your football club. Protesting against the yanks has achieved the grand sum of fuck all if we are brutally honest, but that's no reason not to have tried.

Nope.

“What I’m asking from Liverpool fans is a little patience,” Broughton, who’s also the chairman of British Airways Plc, said in a telephone interview. “We are talking a maximum of a few months."

3 or 4.

I agree but the issue is how long is a few months to Broughton? More that 3 and less than 12???

I'm still confident we are moving towards a sale. Perhaps not to Kenny Huang, although I don't think we've seen the last of him. It may be naive of me but I don't think Dalglish and Rush would stay at the club to watch the board preside over a sham sale or a sale to a G&H backed consortium. Everyone knows they are bad for the club, how would that sit with Borughton finding the most suitable purchaser for Liverpool with its best interests at heart? Reckon we will here something on the preferred bidder this week and it will be a suprise!

Nope.

Define "a few" months?

3 or 4.

So you'd rather the board jump headfirst into a potential shitstorm just because it meets your given time-frame? However you read into Broughton's telephone quote, he's never said it definitely WILL be done within months. In other articles he's always careful to drop in words like "hopeful", "maybe" or "possible" because he knows a sale is not guaranteed. There are innumerable factors that come into play, many of which rear their heads very late in the process.

Huang's proposal may have been the perfect bid, but then again it may not have. I have no problem if the board take a little extra time making sure the proposed bids are watertight. I don't want them doing what Moores did, by panicking and agreeing to the only offer left at the table ("shitting themselves" in business-speak).

So you'd rather the board jump headfirst into a potential shitstorm just because it meets your given time-frame? However you read into Broughton's telephone quote, he's never said it definitely WILL be done within months. In other articles he's always careful to drop in words like "hopeful", "maybe" or "possible" because he knows a sale is not guaranteed. There are innumerable factors that come into play, many of which rear their heads very late in the process.

Huang's proposal may have been the perfect bid, but then again it may not have. I have no problem if the board take a little extra time making sure the proposed bids are watertight. I don't want them doing what Moores did, by panicking and agreeing to the only offer left at the table ("shitting themselves" in business-speak).

My timeframe? Eh? They're Broughtons words not mine, you cant back it up then dont say it in the first place.

People like you will still be here in 12 months saying "patience, dont want the deal rushed do we?" "Trust in our Marty" etc. It's truly amazing the backing he's got.

I dont think he's evil but then I dont think he's great like a lot seem to either. I'll wait and see, but it's not looking good as it stands. Hopefully that changes.

My timeframe? Eh? They're Broughtons words not mine, you cant back it up then dont say it in the first place.

People like you will still be here in 12 months saying "patience, dont want the deal rushed do we?" "Trust in our Marty" etc. It's truly amazing the backing he's got.

I dont think he's evil but then I dont think he's great like a lot seem to either. I'll wait and see, but it's not looking good as it stands. Hopefully that changes.

I'm not saying Broughton is whiter than white, or that his motives are pure. I'm trying to point out the hysteria "people like you" fall into, because you seem to expect a click of the fingers and all will be solved. You get hung up on somebody's word, and take them to task lest anything be even slightly out of place. THAT is what I, and "people like me", are saying. Dig?

All I'm saying is that we don't know what he meant by "a few months" and things change...

His over all deadline is October it was the fans who wanted before sept. Broughton said he would of wanted that too but, he was hoping that was the case!

I just think the doom and gloom people seem to have found themselves in is premature and uncalled for... Let's just wait and see what happens in septmeber eh

All I'm saying is that we don't know what he meant by "a few months" and things change...

His over all deadline is October it was the fans who wanted before sept. Broughton said he would of wanted that too but, he was hoping that was the case!

I just think the doom and gloom people seem to have found themselves in is premature and uncalled for... Let's just wait and see what happens in septmeber eh

Not a dig at you mate as you seemed to arguing the same point as me. I agree we need to let the matter play out. Anyone who's bought or sold a house knows the pitfalls and delays, and unexpected changes in time-frame.

Not on the box office receipts he couldn't......

Jeffries bid was far messier than Huang's. He said that Kraft was involved in the L4 group when he wasn't. And his PR campaign was conducted through Kraptalk and Oldham. Recently he decided to poke his nose into the current process and had a testy exchange of emails with Purslow after trying to flatter him by congratulating him for sacking Rafa. He then discovered, some 5 or 6 years later, that being associated with Kraptalk aint good for business and credibility. So he dumped KT recently - or the other way around if you believe Oldham.

Purslow once summarised all the so-called bidders at the time of the G&H takover and remarked that L4 had no money.

Jeffries is in no position to lecture Huang.

I agree but the issue is how long is a few months to Broughton? More that 3 and less than 12???

The problem is the goal posts have been moved, Broughton probably thought the yanks wanted to sell at first, now he knows they don't want to sell. I just hope it bollocks about the Yanks refinancing with another bank, i really cant see who would lend them the money, considering the club is losing money.

few   [fyoo] Show IPA adjective, -er, -est, noun, pronoun

–adjective

not many but more than one: Few artists live luxuriously.

–noun

( used with a plural verb ) a small number or amount: Send me a few.

the few, a special, limited number; the minority: That music appeals to the few.

–pronoun

( used with a plural verb ) a small number of persons or things: A dozen people volunteered, but few have shown up.

—Idioms

few and far between, at widely separated intervals; infrequent: In Nevada the towns are few and far between.

quite a few, a fairly large number; many: There were quite a few interesting things to do.

Can we fuckin move on now ?

Any new developments today ?

Time for Broughton to break his silence

Posted on August 21st, 2010 by Jim Boardman

Ever since it became obvious to supporters that Liverpool Football Club was “in the wrong hands” the arguments have raged about exactly whose fault it was.

Raising a glass to Huang's departure?Today, the club is still in the wrong hands. Today, the arguments rage about what kind of owner Kenny Huang might have been. Today, we’re talking in the past tense when discussing the man said to be fronting a bid that had the backing of China’s sovereign wealth fund. Huang pulled out of the sales process last night, clearly frustrated at the way he’d been treated.

This club has been at war with itself for three years. This war means all trust has gone. Not only will any potential bidder be instantly met with suspicion but also at times will anyone seen to have put their trust in that potential bidder.

And so with Huang’s withdrawal we’re all arguing about whether he left the process because he was badly treated or if it was because he never had a serious hope of taking over to start with. We’re arguing about whether he was right to expect Broughton to hurry the process along or if his impatience suggests he was never going to be a good owner.

And as we argued amongst ourselves our club’s owners no doubt raised a glass to each other over the phone, celebrating the fact that if a bidder pulls out it no longer matters how viable their proposal was. The risk he might have a viable bid – probably not to their liking but acceptable to the board – would have been causing them a great deal of panic.

It doesn’t matter to them if he was at the table to start with or not – just as long as he’s not at the table any more. Did anyone else on the board raise a glass at the news he’d withdrawn?

We’re being asked to trust a board that on the whole has done little to earn our trust.

We still aren’t certain how Martin Broughton or Christian Purslow came to be on the club’s board in the first place. We’re told they’re here for the good of the club, not the owners. For various reasons we are, of course, suspicious about that.

We temporarily put our suspicions to one side and suspended our doubts to give them time to get the sales process moving and new owners in place. We put our trust in them.

In return we continue to be treated like our views don’t count. We are constantly reminded that we’re not supporters, we’re customers. We’re not just customers, we’re loyal customers. Mugs even. No matter how hard they knock us down we keep getting back up and taking more.

Is our definition of what’s “best for the club” the same as theirs?

If it was they’d try harder to keep us informed, to ease our fears, to reassure us that they are striving to bring us what’s best for the club.

Ian Ayre said in an interview published by the Daily Post this week that “it’s our website which is the most important tool for the club outside the team itself”.

So why don’t the board use it more often?

If the board are happy that they have acted correctly in their dealings with Kenny Huang then why not tell us? If he’s not a credible bidder, if he’s not proved he has the backing, if he’s a long way short of being the “best” bidder and if his withdrawal was nothing for us to worry about then why not tell us? Why not pop into the club’s own TV studio to record a short interview telling us we don’t need to worry?

The bidding deadline has passed so what harm would it do to go on the record (instead of leaking it off the record) to tell us how many viable bids there are on the table? Is it because there aren’t any viable bids on the table? And were there any on the table yesterday morning?

The club deemed fit to release a statement a week ago. Christian Purslow was happy to go onto the radio to speak to a sympathetic journalist on Sunday. All week we’ve seen suggestions that senior officials at the club are briefing the media – off the record of course.

We know that if Kenny Huang’s offer was only as high as £400m that the owners would do all in their powers to block it. We know that it only takes one of the English members of the board to help them block it.

Last night’s statement from Huang and the lack of any word from the club has reminded many of us of the circumstances in which Martin Broughton arrived at the club.

There were claims that he had been brought in at the request of Hicks and Gillett through an old Hicks associate, Michael Klein. One report said at the time: “Klein goes back a long way with the Liverpool co-owner Tom Hicks and is believed to have been instrumental in persuading RBS not to pull the plug on the club.” And report claimed that Klein had “helped to secure Broughton’s services by approaching him on behalf of Tom Hicks and George Gillett, Liverpool’s owners.”

And these reminders mean that our focus shifts away from how credible Kenny Huang’s bid might have been to questions about how credible the majority of the club’s board actually is.

Huang may well be out of this game – but Broughton isn’t. And it’s time he explained what’s really going on. Time he explained where his priorities and loyalties lie. Time he looked down from that seat in the director’s box and proved he was he man who could get us out of the wrong hands.

Anfield Road » Time for Broughton to break his silence