You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Taken from my blog (address in profile, for those of you who are interested):

-----------------

It's a story as old as Alex Ferguson's haircut.

The flames are finally beginning to dwindle in Rafa's long-distance love affair with our Argentinian ankle-biter, Javier Mascherano. After trying to share his affections between two equally exotic mistresses, one Italian, one Spanish, Mascherano has quickly found himself jilted by both and forced to cozy up in the marital doghouse while he tries to repair relations (perhaps literally, if you believe reports that his wife is desperate to leave Merseyside).

Whilst Mascherano cuts an increasingly lonely figure though, Rafa is already moving on, ready to take solace in the arms of an old flame; an energetic, bubbly blonde that he's always had a weak spot for.

Yep. It's Dirk Kuyt.

Derided by many as unproductive or simply workmanlike, Kuyt was nevertheless one of a few ever-presents in Benitez's notoriously revolving lineups. Rafa has always seen the marauding Dutchman through rose-tinted glasses and, if today's stories are to be believed, then it hasn't taken long for Rafa to pick up the phone and begin wooing his former protege once more.

Reports of Interflora (an ingenious front, perhaps?) delivering a large bouquet of tulips to the Kuyt residence are still to be confirmed.

It's clear that Dirk Kuyt has great affection for Liverpool Football Club and the frankness of the statement made by Kuyt's agent, Rob Jansen, is a testament to his character (Jansen also made tantalizing mention of a "player" being included in the deal. Which of last-year's outgrown jodphurs could this be - Mancini? Sulley Muntari? - I can hardly contain my excitement).

In my previous post, I said that playing for Liverpool will almost always mean more to a British player. When adding the "almost", Kuyt was one of the players I had in mind.

Whilst he isn't always the most graceful or flashy of players, I would be extremely sad to see Dirk Kuyt leave Liverpool. He's a player you can always rely on to give 100% in a game (10% short of what many managers desire, but good enough for me). In American Football, coaches often talk about a player's "intangibles", the things a player brings to a team that can't be measured by any statistics; this is an area in which Dirk Kuyt is peerless.

Sorry Obama, but when I think of windmills and energy, I think of Dirk Kuyt.

More importantly though, I think Kuyt's measurable contributions are often overlooked.

Dirk Kuyt's goal scoring record for Liverpool works out to about a goal every four games (every 3.94 games, if you'd like me to be precise). Not a great ratio for a striker, but impressive when you consider most of Kuyt's games for Liverpool have been on the right-side of midfield; even more so when you take into consideration that 27 of those games were as a substitute.

Over the past two seasons, in the Premier League alone, Kuyt contributed 21 goals and 13 assists.

Combine these contributions with Kuyt's other attributes and he's a player who would be difficult to replace. Actually, this is my main concern about the whole story.

Having turned thirty about a month ago, Kuyt wouldn't command a premium transfer fee. At least what Liverpool paid for him, certainly, but I'm not convinced this would be enough to sign a decent replacement, especially if some of the money is siphoned off into strengthening other positions, such as the left-back slot.

At the moment, Liverpool's only other right-midfielder is Maxi Rodriguez; an adequate back-up, but not someone I'd be keen to see pressed into a regular starting position.

With less than two weeks before the transfer window slams shut (why the powers-that-be can never close it gently, I have no idea), finding someone who could immediately match Kuyt's impact on a game would be almost impossible.

So with renewed enthusiasm for all that is Dirk, I'll quietly hope that our blue-collar Cruyff, our right-sided Rembrandt, our Netherlandic Neuron-bomb (okay, too far) will glance across the freshly mown Melwood training pitches to the cautionary tale of Ol' Mascherano, and see that the grass is, in fact, not always greener on the other side; I'll hope that Rafa's whispered sweet nothings of Chianti, Canneloni and Cambiasso are not quiet enough to tempt Dirk into straying.

I'll hope that all our crows of under-appreciation don't finally come home to roost.

Don't leave us Dirk, it'll never happen again.

We promise.

Although Moratti is not quite as definitive as HOdgson.

Hodgson: 'Moratti won't buy Kuyt'

Saturday 21 August, 2010

Roy Hodgson claims Massimo Moratti told him he wouldn’t be signing Liverpool players, but a different story emerges from the Inter patron.

The Treble winners have been linked with Dirk Kuyt and Javier Mascherano over the summer.

"I spoke to Massimo Moratti about the fact they are not going to buy Liverpool players," said Hodgson.

"I believe they were only interested in two of our players and they are not going to buy them. Moratti said they are not going to do that.”

Hodgson is friends with Moratti due to his two spells on the Inter bench, but a different story is emerging from the Italian media.

President Moratti did declare the £25m price-tag for Mascherano was excessive, but confirmed interest in Rafa Benitez favourite Kuyt.

“Will Kuyt arrive? In terms of necessity I’d say no, as the team kept its winning players,” he told the Gazzetta dello Sport.

“However, there is an issue of tactical completion on behalf of the Coach and so for Kuyt we’ll see. You never know.

“It is anything but an easy operation, but it’s likely we’ll include an Inter player in the deal.”

Liverpool already took the first step by leaving Kuyt in the stands for their Europa League play-off this week, ensuring he was not cup-tied.

It’s reported that Sulley Ali Muntari will be sent to Anfield as part of the exchange with an additional €6m.

The word from Italy has been that the Inter hierarchy are skeptical of both deals, and one for Schweinsteiger, because they feel there are better players already at Inter, which is fair enough, and the fans want some Itallian talent.

The word from Italy has been that the Inter hierarchy are skeptical of both deals, and one for Schweinsteiger, because they feel there are better players already at Inter, which is fair enough, and the fans want some Itallian talent.

How on earth do they fancy they can buy Schweinsteiger, Bayern would be mad to sell, are rolling in cash, and why the hell would he leave?

Rafa Benitez is ready to make a £15million bid to wrest Holland striker Dirk Kuyt from his former club Liverpool.

Benitez, now at Inter Milan, sees Kuyt as just one of the Anfield charges who he wants to join him in his new job.

Liverpool remain firm that Kuyt is not for sale. Their new manager Roy Hodgson, also a former Inter boss, is satisfied after a conversation with the Italian club's owner, Massimo Moratti, that the European champions will not attempt to take either Kuyt or Javier Mascherano from Anfield.

But Kuyt says he has been told that Inter faxed an offer to Liverpool and he now believes he has the luxury of choosing between two of Europe's top clubs.

The Dutchman is expecting to play in Liverpool's highly-charged Premier League clash at Manchester City tomorrow night but is likely to be rested if talks between Inter and Anfield resume.

He was reported to have told a newspaper in Holland yesterday: 'On Thursday night, during the Europa League game against Trabzonspor, the board of Liverpool informed me officially that they have received a fax from Inter. You can call this a luxury situation for me now.'

Inter are understood to have offered a cash-plus-player exchange deal for Kuyt which has been rejected, The Italian champions would have to come up with a cash-only deal for it to be considered by the Liverpool board.

Meanwhile, Alberto Aquilani, who arrived at Anfield last season as the midfield replacement for Xabi Alonso, is heading back to Italy for a season's loan at Juventus after his disappointing and injury-ravaged season.

In what is likely to be a busy last 10 days before the transfer window shuts, Liverpool have also been linked with PSV Eindhoven's Sweden striker Ola Toivonen. PSV manager Fred Rutten yesterday said: 'I can't block the transfer.'

Read more: Liverpool striker Kuyt ponders £15m move to Inter despite Hodgson's plea to Italian club | Mail Online

It all comes back to the same simple point though doesnt it. If we can replace him with somebody better with the money then fair enough.

But Roy will probably see fuck all of the money and even if he does get the money could we really tie up a deal for somebody better by the end of the transfer window.

Because we just don't know how much of the money generated from sales is going to be allocated to player spending it's impossible to gauge whether selling is a 'good' deal. We can always say when an offer is too low, but in these circumstances it's impossible to say whether an amount is 'enough'.

Sure, we can say 'anything over X amount' when it comes to selling a player, but whether that's adequate compensation for a player depends completely on whether 25%, 50% or 100% of the money is given to Roy. Just another example of how much the bollocksy shite at our club prevents us discussing football properly. But that's for other threads.

On the topic itself though, if I assume Dirk's wages are allocated to New Player and the transfer fee is 100% allocated, then I'd be in favour of selling when the offer gets to £12m. Although he annoys the hell out of me when the ball just bounces off him instead of sticking, what he gives us in the tricker games will be hard to replace.

Well thats certainly the exact opposite impression than I've gotten. Morrati was asked last night after the Super Coppa win and he said, when asked about the fact that Sneidjer wants Kuyt there, that those two would have to wait because it was a complicated situation. He was then asked about the meeting with HOdgson and how Hodgson claimed there was no bid and he said that HOdgson could say whatever he wanted. Who is he stringing along us or his own fans? Who knows?

As for better players, no chance, in pre-season only Obinna (left), Coutinho (AM) and Mariga (DM) have done well and neither play that role. They are using Pandev there and its obvious that is not his role.

There are a bunch of people saying forget Mascherano, we have Mariga, but everyone else can see they have a bunch of center forwards and no wide forwards.

There's definitely more going on here than Hodgson is letting on.

Well thats certainly the exact opposite impression than I've gotten. Morrati was asked last night after the Super Coppa win and he said, when asked about the fact that Sneidjer wants Kuyt there, that those two would have to wait because it was a complicated situation. He was then asked about the meeting with HOdgson and how Hodgson claimed there was no bid and he said that HOdgson could say whatever he wanted. Who is he stringing along us or his own fans? Who knows?

As for better players, no chance, in pre-season only Obinna (left), Coutinho (AM) and Mariga (DM) have done well and neither play that role. They are using Pandev there and its obvious that is not his role.

There are a bunch of people saying forget Mascherano, we have Mariga, but everyone else can see they have a bunch of center forwards and no wide forwards.

There's definitely more going on here than Hodgson is letting on.

If the Super Coppa final against Roma is any indication of the way Benitez plans to set Inter up, then the current crop of DM's with the possible exception of Motta, will be found wanting I think. They played much higher up than they did with Maureen, Chivu and Zanetti will struggle.

But I really rate Mariga, think he'll be a star for them.

Was surprised that Coutinho didn't get a run out at the end though.

Kuyt would be a definite upgrade on Pandev.

If the Super Coppa final against Roma is any indication of the way Benitez plans to set Inter up, then the current crop of DM's with the possible exception of Motta, will be found wanting I think. They played much higher up than they did with Maureen, Chivu and Zanetti will struggle.

But I really rate Mariga, think he'll be a star for them.

Was surprised that Coutinho didn't get a run out at the end though.

Kuyt would be a definite upgrade on Pandev.

Agree they will struggle with that high line. The defence will struggle too, Lucio and Samuel are no spring chickens. Apparently Mourinho tried a high line and then "parked the bus". It'll be interesting to see how it pans out.

Yep was a shame about Coutinho, I watched him against Man City and within 10 minutes he worked out how to befuddle Micah Richards and played Obinna in time and time again. Its not often you'll see an 18 year old do that.

Did you also smile fondly at the sight of Riise diving in on the half way line and taking himself out of the play?

Kuyt's agent saying that Kuyt has asked for a move. Roy pissed at Rafa.

Roy Hodgson accuses Internazionale of breaking word over Dirk Kuyt | Football | The Guardian

Roy Hodgson has accused Rafael Benítez of reneging on an agreement not to sign Liverpool players after Dirk Kuyt's agent claimed the Holland international wants to leave for Internazionale.

The Liverpool manager received an assurance last week from Massimo Moratti, the Inter president, that the European champions had ended their interest in Kuyt and Javier Mascherano, who has since become a target for Barcelona. Kuyt's future is now in doubt ahead of the transfer deadline after his agent, Rob Jansen, claimed negotiations are continuing with Inter despite the pledge.

"The two clubs continue to talk, but things are moving slowly," said Jansen. "The difference between demand and offer is important. It is something between the clubs but Dirk told Liverpool he no longer wants to be involved as this is something that regards his career and life. It doesn't mean he wants to leave at all costs, but when a club like Inter comes along it's normal to look into the situation further."

That drew a scornful response from Hodgson in Turkey, where he is preparing for tomorrow night's Europa League play-off second leg against Trabzonspor without Fernando Torres, Steven Gerrard, Daniel Agger, Milan Jovanovic and Maxi Rodríguez. "Dirk Kuyt has not told me he wants to go and we have not received an offer from any club for him," he said. "There is obviously something going on behind the scenes, possibly involving the agent of Dirk Kuyt and the manager of Inter.

"At this late stage in the transfer window it would be remarkably unusual for us to accept an offer for a player we don't want to leave for money we don't need. I need the player. I don't need the money. I would suggest, with all due respect, that if the agent had a serious plan to move him [Kuyt] from the club he should have been working on it four or five weeks ago, not with a few days of the window remaining, because it is very unlikely that we would receive an offer from any club that we would entertain now.

"When Benítez left the club he signed an agreement he would not poach players from Liverpool and I think that still applies. As far as I'm concerned, the agreement with Moratti still stands."

The Liverpool manager, however, confirmed he is keen on signing the Fulham left-back Paul Konchesky despite earlier declaring that he would not pursue players from his former club. Konchesky's move to Anfield took a step closer last night when Fulham agreed a deal for the left-back Carlos Salcido from PSV Eindhoven.

Talks between Liverpool and Barcelona are continuing over Mascherano, although the two clubs remain poles apart over a transfer fee. Barcelona's Lionel Messi last night asked Liverpool to be humane about the transfer. "Javier won't play for the club again. Javier's family are unhappy and the pressure of seeing that is making him depressed and Liverpool must act humanely and let him go," Messi said, according to the Daily Express.

Meanwhile, Alberto Aquilani has completed his season-long loan move to Juventus and Krisztian Nemeth has signed a three-year contract with Olympiakos. "Liverpool told us that it is not a question of quality but a financial decision. As it is with others this season," said Nemeth's agent, Tibor Pataky.

Kuyt's agent saying that Kuyt has asked for a move. Roy pissed at Rafa.

Roy Hodgson accuses Internazionale of breaking word over Dirk Kuyt | Football | The Guardian

Roy Hodgson has accused Rafael Benítez of reneging on an agreement not to sign Liverpool players after Dirk Kuyt's agent claimed the Holland international wants to leave for Internazionale.

Branco came out this morning and said they've sent in a bid for Mascherano that is very close to Liverpool's price.

Kuyt has not asked for a move at all. He told a certain player yesterday that If the club accept an offer for him then he sees that as the club saying you can leave. He is very happy at Liverpool and would never ask for a transfer,or go in and rock the boat.

If we turn down the offer then he is more than happy to stay at Liverpool.

Personally £15m I'd snap there hands off.

I can actually believe Dirk here. If the club accepts a bid then it would be sending him a strong message and he would be stupid to ignore it. Oh and I would take 15m for him in a flash providing the manger gets to see it all.

Dirk has told Liverpool he no longer wants to be involved"

Author: Ben Moss

Posted on:26 August 2010 - 09:55

Category:Football

Comments: 5 Go...

Liverpool striker Dirk Kuyt has reportedly told the club he no longer wants to be considered for first team action, in a bid to force through his move to Inter Milan, according to his agent Rob Jansen.

The s## quote Kuyt’s agent, who suggests the Dutchman wants to hear Inter Milan’s proposal even though Roy Hodgson has claimed the Premier League side have no intention of selling the 30-year-old.

Reports in the S#n newspaper suggest Inter Milan boss Rafa Benitez is endeavouring to land his former player for £13 million even though, according to Roy Hodgson at least, the Spaniard agreed not to raid Anfield for any of his playing staff when he left the club in June.

Kuyt’s agent told the S#n: “The clubs continue to talk but Dirk has told Liverpool he no longer wants to be involved as this is something that regards his career and life.

As usual, the ### stirring the melting pot p.s apologies for posting

The Sun quote Kuyt’s agent [...] Reports in the Sun newspaper [...] Kuyt’s agent told the Sun

Any need? Please don't post that shit on here.

EDIT: putting "#" characters in it doesn't alter the fact that you're posting reports from the scum on a Liverpool website.

Edited by zigackly

You'd do well remembering who the LFC manager is and fucking up about the inter milan one. A disgusting corrupt club to boot.

You'd do well to remember that I would despair if we signed Paul Konchesky. Also if we get £15 million for Kuyt that's a pretty decent deal.

One manager (of Inter) wants to give us a lot of money for a 30 year old we can afford to part ways with.

One wants to sign Paul Konchesky with what little money we have and move on the younger more promising Insua.