You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Is the Times Newspaper a credible source of information?

StevieH

Another Royal Family made up "fact". You do this a lot. Can you not see that bending the truth is really unhelpful when you're talking about scaremongering and inncurate reporting?

Hmm - not having that. So which bit of Tony Evans saying that Chelsea had been led to believe that they will sign Torres for £25m because of our financial situation is "made-up"? And who else has mentioned the £25m sum other than Tony Evans this summer?

Or is 'made-up fact' in fact simply a reference to something you yourself choose to disregard or disbelieve, Hammy? Like Keane going back to Spurs, i seem to distantly recall...

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will raise you a Rhone Group, Joe Cole, Hodgson, Rafa Off, The debt and refinance. All broken by the same fella.

I'm just saying every journo gets things wrong, they should be judged on every article individually.

I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt over this CIC/Huang business at the moment, just seeing where it goes.

If they get it wrong, fine, that's another black mark against them, but if they get it right, then credit to them.

I'm just saying every journo gets things wrong, they should be judged on every article individually.

I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt over this CIC/Huang business at the moment, just seeing where it goes.

If they get it wrong, fine, that's another black mark against them, but if they get it right, then credit to them.

There is so much going on that I dont think they know whats rumour, fact or just plain shit.

Thats why since that Liverpool FC statement, whatever I read from the media about the takeover, I read it with a pinch of salt.

Dont believe any of it unless confirmed from multiple sources.

I will raise you a Rhone Group, Joe Cole, Hodgson, Rafa Off, The debt and refinance. All broken by the same fella.

Well, maybe that is because the same fella is currently getting his information from the same fella!

You know, the one we should all 'Wait and see' about! Lets not kid ourselves, Bascombe is being used just as much as anyone else, if there was a relevant piece of information that they did not want in the public domain, then he wouldn't know about that.

Bascombe knows this information because it has landed in his lap, because somebody wanted him to have it! Somebody who doesn't want other journalists to have it, other journalists who didn't share his dislike of a certain person! That same person who Bascombe disliked, who cut him out of the loop too favour others, who are now out of the loop, whilst Bascombe is in the loop!

There is nothing wrong with this, nothing at all.

But lets not pretend there is anything more to it than that!

Edited by Whelan

And verily did the war between the Evangelists and the Bascomites pass into its third month...

If someone could explain what it is all about I might understand. I thought with Rafa gone we might, just might all get on together a bit more.

Silly old me.

Hmm - not having that. So which bit of Tony Evans saying that Chelsea had been led to believe that they will sign Torres for £25m because of our financial situation is "made-up"? And who else has mentioned the £25m sum other than Tony Evans this summer?

Or is 'made-up fact' in fact simply a reference to something you yourself choose to disregard or disbelieve, Hammy? Like Keane going back to Spurs, i seem to distantly recall...

He suggested Chelsea thought they might be able to get him for as little as £25m due to our financial situation. If you can find the bit where he said Liverpool had led them to believe that might be a goer (or were in any way willing to deal at £25M) then I'll concede. I don't think you will.

Very different than what you are suggesting he said.

If someone could explain what it is all about I might understand. I thought with Rafa gone we might, just might all get on together a bit more.

Silly old me.

I find it crazy that anyone thought things would change significantly without a change in the ownership situation.

The manager was, and still is, a mere side issue.

HODGSON IN LINE FOR £40M KITTY | News Of The World

Atleast they write something they've actually heard instead of some fictional shite.

All the while there were supporters trying to raise awareness of the clubs dire situation, without any real platform to work from.

Let's face it, for far too long most journalists close to the club have failed in reporting the situation properly and consistently, all too concerned in covering their own ends.

I find it crazy that anyone thought things would change significantly without a change in the ownership situation.

The owners have and always will be the biggest cancer in our club, I have never in any post said anything different, or implied anything different.

I meant something entirely different. My bad.

I find it amazing that people don't realize that whoppers are whoppers regardless of the owners and manager.

I think the times still has it's reputation in tact, but tbh Tony Evans tantrums this summer isn't doing them any favours, I'm not trying to get at him but he's letting his emotions get the better of him, the carry on on talksport (gerrard torres leaving after benitez went) and even today he was at it again with the torres is going in January unless "Broughton" sells the club, it's not helpful and it's not accurate, I respect Tony Barret for coming on here this morning and notice he hasn't got to involved in the haung talk, I will say one thing that headline on the 4th of August is one that's never likely to be forgotten 1 way or another

John, whatever you think of Tony Evans you've got a good mate who can tell you the way newspapers work and he'll tell you the football editor doesn't decide which story goes on the front page. The fact that Tony was on holiday when that story appeared will tell you he had no input in any editorial decisions about that either. That story came from the business desk and he only got involved cos he'd broken the initial Huang story.
Firstly Tony, thanks for getting involved in this thread. You'd have been well within your rights to steer clear, as that Times front page didn't carry your name.

I don't think this is really a Times issue as such, but more a case of people putting to much trust or wanting to believe one of the people who's name went with the headline "China buys Liverpool" Tony Evans. I must admit until the day that issue went out, I'd never heard of Sue whatshername. BTW is she fit ?

I'd bet that until yourself or Tony Evans started working for The Times, the vast majority of people on this forum, or Liverpool fans in general, never went near it. I also think that had Tony Evans not been involved with that piece, it wouldn't have been given the importance it was granted by the editor. Or are we to believe he lent his name to it, to give the piece more credibility ?

Tony Evans might well have been on holiday when that issue hit the shelves, but lets be honest, he'd have been well aware of what was on the front page well before it went to print. He chose to put his name to that piece because he thought he had the LFC scoop of the year. Who knows, he may well still be proved right.

As you know, I was sceptic of Huang from day one. He was making far to much noise for my liking and lets face it, some of the people doing his PR left a lot to be desired. If I'm honest, I did start to doubt my own judgement, when I saw that front page. You know I'm no fan of Evans, but The Times is one of the most reputable papers throughout the world, and I don't think they'd have gone all out the way they did if they hadn't had assurances from someone, somewhere.

I think in order to get the exclusive, the people involved were to trigger happy, when in hindsight, it may well have been better to wait for the phone call to say, 'the deal is done and dusted' rather than, 'we have the money'

People had waited a very long time to read that headline. They trusted the paper because they trusted the journalist. People thought we'd eventually come to the end of a very long dark tunnel. So, to have to then go through another two weeks of uncertainty, to eventually hear, Huang's 'got better things to do' was just to much, hence all the anger and finger pointing.

For what it's worth. Part of me thinks we haven't heard the last of Kenny Huang.

Chinese on the verge of walking out on Liverpool takeover deal

Kenny Huang delivered a take-it-or-leave-it message to Martin Broughton, the Liverpool chairman

Kenny Huang delivered a take-it-or-leave-it message to Martin Broughton, the Liverpool chairman Ng Han Guan/AP

Tony Evans, Football Editor; Helen Power, Business Correspondent

Last updated August 18 2010 10:58PM

The Liverpool takeover saga was plunged into crisis last night when Kenny Huang delivered a take-it-or-leave it message to Martin Broughton.

Huang, the Hong Kong-based businessman, has grown frustrated at what he believes are delaying tactics by the Liverpool chairman and will walk away unless the Chinese bid is accepted.

Despite Liverpool’s assertions that there are other bidders, Huang believes that his offer is the only viable one on the table. Senior members of the hierarchy at Liverpool have also expressed concern at the pace of the sales process.

After the Chinese interest was revealed in these pages two weeks ago, Broughton said that he expected the club to be sold by the end of last week. However, the deadline passed with Anfield sources claiming that there were still as many as five bids on the table. Huang — who has China Investment Corporation, one of the world’s biggest sovereign wealth funds, among his backers — believes that this is a ploy to push up the price.

Liverpool have suggested that Huang has not offered proof of funds but The Times understands that the Chinese bid has supplied all the necessary documentation required by the memorandum of sale, a legal framework for potential buyers.

A source close to Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS) — which is owed £237 million by Tom Hicks and George Gillett Jr, Liverpool’s owners — said last night that Huang was “there or thereabouts” on providing proof of funding to Barclays Capital, the investment bank brokering the deal. The Chinese offer would make the club debt-free and also bring large-scale investment in players and infrastructure as part of a total outlay of about £800 million.

Huang is eager to complete the deal before the transfer window closes. The Chinese are concerned that without investment in the squad Liverpool could finish outside the top four this season and want to be in place to provide funds for Roy Hodgson, the manager, as quickly as possible.

Huang has a transfer war chest and has put aside cash to build a new stadium. The Chinese will not dip into these budgets to increase their offer and benefit Hicks and Gillett at the expense of investment in Anfield.

Huang’s stance will heap pressure on Broughton. The chairman of British Airways was brought into the club in April to oversee the sale, and the 63-year-old arrived with impeccable credentials in the City. However, Broughton has struggled to fulfil his role at Anfield.

His biggest impact at the club so far came when he dismissed Rafael Benítez as manager in June, after initially saying that football decisions were outside his remit, and he is in danger of damaging his reputation.

Some blert was saying it was Tony Barret in the other thread. I suspect you know as much as him. If you are going to make accusations about people you had better know your facts are right.

How do you think you know this?

I'd buzz off that if the situation wasn't so serious - for the club, not me.

How do you see it playing out now Tony? Are there any serious players in town?

Honest to God mate, I only wish I knew. I hope there is someone out there who's just biding their time and using the hoo-ha to quietly go about their business before putting the kind of offer in that would be perfect for our club but all the indications are that this isn't the case.

My argument is that this whole process should be transparent. Take the speculation, the newspapers, the journalists, the ITKs and everyone else out of the equation and lets see those who want to buy the club subjected to genuine scrutiny. If prospective buyers aren't prepared to let the people who support the club examine their motives, background and finances then that has to be a concern. What have any of them (that's if there is anyone left in the race of course) got to hide?