You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Is the Times Newspaper a credible source of information?

StevieH

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honest to God mate, I only wish I knew. I hope there is someone out there who's just biding their time and using the hoo-ha to quietly go about their business before putting the kind of offer in that would be perfect for our club but all the indications are that this isn't the case.

My argument is that this whole process should be transparent. Take the speculation, the newspapers, the journalists, the ITKs and everyone else out of the equation and lets see those who want to buy the club subjected to genuine scrutiny. If prospective buyers aren't prepared to let the people who support the club examine their motives, background and finances then that has to be a concern. What have any of them (that's if there is anyone left in the race of course) got to hide?

Tony straight question was Haung really that serious a bidder if he threw the toys out at the 1st sign of a problem, like having to wait a few days, he didn't actually submit a bid until a week ago, if as he said he'd been after us for months and loves fans and city etc he would have waited and negotiated

If the Chinese government wanted to buy us we'd be bought, haung was not backed by them, IMO alot of people have been had here, i'm not criticizing you mate but the times newspaper will forever be remembered by LFC fans for that headline, and tbh Tony Evans tantrums have destroyed the papers credibility.

No doubt Broughton will be made onto the villan by some also

If the Chinese government wanted to buy us we'd be bought, haung was not backed by them

That is exactly how I see it too. I don't know much about Huang so I'm not going to label him an amateur or cowboy but I don't think he was backed by CIC at any point.

My feeling is that Times ran a story, boldly but got it wrong. And it happens. But the way they ran the story means they can't back track quite easily. And that is what Tony E has been doing the last few days - back tracking slowly but at the same time maintaining that Huang is a very serious bidder.

Honest to God mate, I only wish I knew. I hope there is someone out there who's just biding their time and using the hoo-ha to quietly go about their business before putting the kind of offer in that would be perfect for our club but all the indications are that this isn't the case.

My argument is that this whole process should be transparent. Take the speculation, the newspapers, the journalists, the ITKs and everyone else out of the equation and lets see those who want to buy the club subjected to genuine scrutiny. If prospective buyers aren't prepared to let the people who support the club examine their motives, background and finances then that has to be a concern. What have any of them (that's if there is anyone left in the race of course) got to hide?

On the flip side Tony, if they are genuinely serious about putting vast amounts of money into the club and running it properly i'd liek to think any potential new owner wouldn't be worried about what the media and fans think of them. IMO a 'serious' bidder would be confident enough to make their bid discreetly and and await a response. Giving deadlines and throwing toys out of the pram so to speak is no way to go about the process.

Listen to Tony E tonight he seemed a very angry Red as if he knew that Huang was being shafted by the board. Don't forget it was the business editor if I recall that actually ran the front page. TB, we are buggered aren't we?
Or could it be Evans has been shafted by Huang ? As I said yesterday, if this had just been the sole work of the business editor, there's no way the Times had have ran that front page. I suppose someone was going to carry the can though.

Or could it be Evans has been shafted by Huang ? As I said yesterday' date=' if this had just been the sole work of the business editor, there's no way the Times had have ran that front page. I suppose someone was going to carry the can though.[/quote']

But to have a football/business story on the full front of The Times is unheard of. That is why the majority of us fell for it. Just does not add up. But in the last 4 years when has our club made any sense...

That is exactly how I see it too. I don't know much about Huang so I'm not going to label him an amateur or cowboy but I don't think he was backed by CIC at any point.

My feeling is that Times ran a story, boldly but got it wrong. And it happens. But the way they ran the story means they can't back track quite easily. And that is what Tony E has been doing the last few days - back tracking slowly but at the same time maintaining that Huang is a very serious bidder.

They've been backtracking since Sunday when the Sunday times started it, this 30 hours after they were confirming "off the record" to people the deal was done.

Sheikh Mo to the rescue?

re: Haung and the chinese govt - my understanding was they had a budget for club purchase, stadium build and player funds that they did not want to exceed - namely £800m

to say that the Chinese govt would pay what G&H wanted just cos they are who they are is wrong imo - it's ultimately a business deal that they want to make the maximum profit on

they are not going to overpay if they do not believe it is necessary - just as DIC did not want to overpay

Haung was never a serious bidder I would have put money on that ,every thing Evans and Barret have reported on has been wide of the mark, these two make Bascombe look a fucken genius

At least we serve some purpose in life then! You go ahead and list the stuff that's been 'wide of the mark' because I'm absolutely intrigued.

Why are people hanging Evans and Tony Barrett out on this just because it has fell through?

Journalists working for a top broadsheet like the times do not pluck things from thin air and do not have Micky mouse contacts.

We more than anyone should know that Liverpool football club is anything but simple these days. They report what they've been informed. They are both reds and why would they deliberately try and mislead the fans? Just because that information may look inaccurate a few days later doesn't mean it was a lie or bullshit. It's a dynamic situation and people get things wrong, that is the nature of the business.

I'd certainly trust The Times over the Sunday Sun rag.

Chris B will probably be the first to admit he has had stuff wrong in the past like any journalist I am sure even Tony will admit he has gotten things wrong as well but when Chris B breaks stories two consecutive weeks running and they more or less get swept under the carpet because of who he is and his stance on the ex-manager and who he writes for the likes of SOS to ignore that information is unforgiveable. They have a duty to their members to act in the best interest of the club and it's members. They didn't again on this occasion. They ignored solid information that could be vital to what happens to us in the long run because they are too concerned about meeting a mans people who hasn't even bought us.

They were not swept under the carpet. You, for one, spent thousands of words broadcasting them on this and other forums. The Bascombe stories were disregarded by most because they were wrong. His story about the 2.5 million a week added to the club debt was wrong. You are wrong to keep citing it as a revelation. His story about the board preventing G&H from re-financing was wrong. Bascombe not only just reproduces stuff handed to him by people with an agenda - he does not understand what he has been handed. He gets it wrong.

His willingness to make himself a tool for his source is nicely epitomised in his opinion that supporters should "cut them some slack".

Why are people hanging Evans and Tony Barrett out on this just because it has fell through?

Journalists working for a top broadsheet like the times do not pluck things from thin air and do not have Micky mouse contacts.

We more than anyone should know that Liverpool football club is anything but simple these days. They report what they've been informed. They are both reds and why would they deliberately try and mislead the fans? Just because that information may look inaccurate a few days later doesn't mean it was a lie or bullshit. It's a dynamic situation and people get things wrong, that is the nature of the business.

I'm not saying the Times deliberatly misled people, what I'm saying is they've been misled, Tony Barret is not one for scare mongering etc, but Tony Evans has totally let his emotions run away with him this summer, he told everybody Torres and Gerrard were leaving, Torres for £25m at that, he was at it again last night on Talkshite and SSN which is the equivelent of the S** on TV it comes out with so much tripe,Alan Myers and Kirdi for example.

Say what you like about Bascombe fine, but it was he who broke the story of the Rhone group he who broke the story off the £2.5m penalties, and he who all along said Haung had'nt got the backing he claimed.

Back to what Barry Wom was saying a genuine bidder with Soverign backing would not do his talking in the media and run away at the first hurdle he had to cross, and you've gotta agree with this.

I don't think people are hanging them out RM, and certainly not Tony Barrett. As I said earlier in this thread, TB had no need to comment in this thread, as it wasn't him who was involved with the storey that The Times ran. Yet he's been here answering questions, giving his opinions, and attempting to back up his colleague.

Again, as I've already said, a lot of peoples hopes were built up when The Times announced to the world that we were to be bought by China. It wasn't Huang/CIC, Broughton, or Sue Power people put so much trust and faith in, it was Tony Evans with the weight of The Times reputation behind him. I don't for one minute believe Evans deliberately misled the fans. He obviously trusted his lines of information, but IMO was to quick or eager to put it to print.

He called it wrong and people are naturally very disapointed. He's not the first to get it wrong and he certainly wont be the last, but people are looking for answers and as always, someone has to carry the can. We've had a full summer of Tony Evans telling us via Talk Sport, how we'd be losing Gerrard and Torres. Then within a couple of hours of Huang doing a runner, Tony Evans is back on the Talk Sport air waves prophesying yet more doom and gloom for the club, and still telling us Torres will be off in January if the club don't get investment. For me it was one interview to many and to soon. I just think it may have been wise for him to have avoided the Talk Sport mic last night and given himself time to absorb the bad news. He's on air now as I type, and he certainly sounds more relaxed and more up beat. He's even managed a few laughs. He's Still banging the Torres drum, and now our slim 1-0 lead in the euro tie, and if we lose to Man City is being used to add fuel to the fire. Please just give it a fucking rest will you Tony.

As we all know, if there's one station who love nothing better than to give air time to anyone who has bad news to peddle about LFC, it's Talk fucking Sport. Had that have been, Maddock, King, Bascombe or anyone else, they'd have been, hung drawn and quartered. Or should that be, Huang drawn and quartered.

My main objection to today's Times stories would be that Broughton must come out and name bidders (which would upset many interested parties) and give greater transparency. This isn't the Liverpool way and the board should just quietly go about their business.

My main objection to today's Times stories would be that Broughton must come out and name bidders (which would upset many interested parties) and give greater transparency. This isn't the Liverpool way and the board should just quietly go about their business.

Exactly all it is is Tony Evans backtracking, he's been on Talkshite again this morning making a fool of himself saying the same shit about Torres except this time he's added "theres rumblings of discontent with Hodgson", he's finished as a credible journalist in many peoples eyes after his performance this summer,and going on a radio station that loves to slag us off spinning his shit is a desperate measure of a man on the defensive.

Last Friday night the times were telling people "off the record" the deal was done, this along with that headline 2 weeks ago has blown right up in there faces.

Exactly all it is is Tony Evans backtracking, he's been on Talkshite again this morning making a fool of himself saying the same shit about Torres except this time he's added "theres rumblings of discontent with Hodgson", he's finished as a credible journalist in many peoples eyes after his performance this summer,and going on a radio station that loves to slag us off spinning his shit is a desperate measure of a man on the defensive.

Last Friday night the times were telling people "off the record" the deal was done, this along with that headline 2 weeks ago has blown right up in there faces.

Has he really said that?

Good. If they can't stand up to a little public scrutiny then they have no business owning the club.

Just wana correct this bit it was off the mark, as after a brief investigation source has turned out to be wrong, apoligies

At least we serve some purpose in life then! You go ahead and list the stuff that's been 'wide of the mark' because I'm absolutely intrigued.

Where do I start?

Torres is leaving

Gerrard is leaving

Reina is leaving

Kuyt is leaving

Evans also stated that most of the senior players had instructed their agents to get them a move away from Anfield as the end is nigh.

China is buying Liverpool

And today Evans telling the world that we are doomed and then adding that Torres is off in January, even Mickey Quinn told him he is worse than toothache.

Thats a few things to mention.

Where do I start?

Torres is leaving

Gerrard is leaving

Reina is leaving

Kuyt is leaving

Evans also stated that most of the senior players had instructed their agents to get them a move away from Anfield as the end is nigh.

China is buying Liverpool

And today Evans telling the world that we are doomed and then adding that Torres is off in January, even Mickey Quinn told him he is worse than toothache.

Thats a few things to mention.

This may be me splitting hairs - and believe me that's easier said than done for me - but apart from China To Buy Liverpool, which of those stories appeared in The Times newspaper?

This may be me splitting hairs - and believe me that's easier said than done for me - but apart from China To Buy Liverpool, which of those stories appeared in The Times newspaper?

which raises more questions - why TE is prepared to go out on the radio like a big giant baby but clearly doesn't believe his own words as he doesn't even carry them within his own sports pages? It comes across or either agenda driven or deliberate sensationalism with no factual substance, neither which does his newspaper any credit when he is representing them on the radio.

This may be me splitting hairs - and believe me that's easier said than done for me - but apart from China To Buy Liverpool, which of those stories appeared in The Times newspaper?[/quotei

I know the thread is asking is the Times a credible source of information, so technically you have got me there. I agree that some of the stories were the rantings of an individual to a so called sports radio staion that absolutely laps his hype up.

On SKY last night, TE was telling all and sundry that Torres is off in January and the only way the club is going is down. But not a problem as all the decent players will be off anyway.The newsreader on SKY said "you heard it first on SKY.

It remains to be seen if he will carry this crap in the Times on Sunday, being a sadist I will buy it.