You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fucking hell, is this argument still going on? I think Aquilani's a fantastic player, and I was disappointed we loaned him out, but the general consensus seems to have switched from 'he wasn't good enough' to 'he's the Italian Alonso'. He's a gifted player who's best suited to staying in Italy. Time's a great healer, eh?

I doubt he could play for us in the central midfield role that he's playing so well for Juventus. He gets more time on the ball, and there's less pressure on him from the opposition. Plus the game is a lot slower and it means he can play to his strengths.

He didn't get a prolonged run in the side under Rafa, but let's not pretend the decision to keep him was so one sided. He struggled in some games for us, and was good in others This was the best move for the player, and at the end of it we'll probably get €16m. Even if we wanted him back, I doubt he'd come back.

He'd probably have done better than most of our other players this season, and I think he'd have played better than he did last season, but it's done now. He's happy, playing well for Juventus and is back in the Italy squad.

Fucking hell, is this argument still going on? I think Aquilani's a fantastic player, and I was disappointed we loaned him out, but the general consensus seems to have switched from 'he wasn't good enough' to 'he's the Italian Alonso'. He's a gifted player who's best suited to staying in Italy. Time's a great healer, eh?

I doubt he could play for us in the central midfield role that he's playing so well for Juventus. He gets more time on the ball, and there's less pressure on him from the opposition. Plus the game is a lot slower and it means he can play to his strengths.

He didn't get a prolonged run in the side under Rafa, but let's not pretend the decision to keep him was so one sided. He struggled in some games for us, and was good in others This was the best move for the player, and at the end of it we'll probably get €16m. Even if we wanted him back, I doubt he'd come back.

He'd probably have done better than most of our other players this season, and I think he'd have played better than he did last season, but it's done now. He's happy, playing well for Juventus and is back in the Italy squad.

Spot on that Woo. Been saying the same thing myself on here. Think both sides of the debate are too entrenched in their views and are both just misrepresenting the truth at times.

Guest PurpleNose

Don't think anyone is saying much more than this.

I don't expect him to come back, but wouldn't mind if he did. Certainly wouldn't have loaned him out in the first place.

I don't buy this "he needs time on the ball" nonsense. Does he get more time on the ball in Italy? Yes. Does he need it? No. Watch some of his play from last season, when the movement was good, and when his team-mates actually made an effort to link up, he was the sharpest player we had on the pitch. He never needed loads of time on the ball when we played quick and short football.

That said, it was probably a wise decision for Hodgson to ship him when he did because he'd of been a complete fucking disaster in Roy's setup and would have shown the manager up even more than he has been.

Don't think anyone is saying much more than this.

I don't expect him to come back, but wouldn't mind if he did. Certainly wouldn't have loaned him out in the first place.

I think it's just been the typical two polar opposites arguing the same point over and over and over again. So basically just like any discussion on here in the past few years.

Guest PurpleNose
I think it's just been the typical two polar opposites arguing the same point over and over and over again. So basically just like any discussion on here in the past few years.

I've got 3285 people on ignore. It helps.

I know what you mean though. Only a small minority of people actually want to discuss Aquilani in this thread.

Has anybody been watching these games where he is "pinging" it around?

I have and tbh, he is the ultimate luxury midfielder. Alonso had balls and grit and put in a shift in addition to the passing. Aqui does NO work off the ball for this team. None. He has Marchisio and Melo bustin their ass for 90 minutes - not a good fit for us, unless you think he is better than Gerrard supporting Torres. He is very good at that, but would not offer anywhere near the goal threat SG does.

to be fair to Roy (not often I can say that), I think the Aquilani loan was more about reducing the wage bill than anything else so we could afford Cole etc

then you r saying it was cole and poulsen for aqui + about 5m

as both of those make more than he did - still a tough argument to make at this point cuz cole has done nothing and poulsen less.

Has anybody been watching these games where he is "pinging" it around?

I have and tbh, he is the ultimate luxury midfielder. Alonso had balls and grit and put in a shift in addition to the passing. Aqui does NO work off the ball for this team. None. He has Marchisio and Melo bustin their ass for 90 minutes - not a good fit for us, unless you think he is better than Gerrard supporting Torres. He is very good at that, but would not offer anywhere near the goal threat SG does.

Think that's a ridiculous statement, mate. He's been putting shifts in for the team. In fact, that's been the main thing that's surprised me about Aquilani this season. He's showing a willingness to close down, track back and even put his foot in that he never displayed when he was here.

then you r saying it was cole and poulsen for aqui + about 5m

as both of those make more than he did - still a tough argument to make at this point cuz cole has done nothing and poulsen less.

I dont think it was Roy's choice to reduce the wage bill, more the yanks at the time

Aquilani was one of our better players at the end of last season. Very surprised Roy did not look at him. Would have giving differant options. Could have played behind Torres with Stevie moving back to center midfield where i think he does his best work.

Think that's a ridiculous statement, mate. He's been putting shifts in for the team. In fact, that's been the main thing that's surprised me about Aquilani this season. He's showing a willingness to close down, track back and even put his foot in that he never displayed when he was here.

I have seen him play three times in the last month and not sure I agree. Comparing what he did here might not be enough either, though i am fine with you having a different opinion. He is helped massively by having two players in front of him though, and that is something he was not going to get here.

I can't help but feel sorry for the lad and the circumstances that surrounding him coming here.

Being expected to fill Alonso's shoes was one thing. Being injured and the expection level increased by a poor start was another. The fella's card was marked before he had even kicked a ball, in a new country aswell.

I was surprised at the loan move, but it was best for us and him I reckon. I think he'd have struggled in this team with the start we've had even if the irony is we probably need a player like him.

I think the ship has sailed with him as far as his Liverpool career is concerned but its a shame because I thought his attitude was good and I think there's a world class player there. And I think his failings are down to just sheer bad luck rather than him being injury prone.

I don't buy this "he needs time on the ball" nonsense. Does he get more time on the ball in Italy? Yes. Does he need it? No. Watch some of his play from last season, when the movement was good, and when his team-mates actually made an effort to link up, he was the sharpest player we had on the pitch. He never needed loads of time on the ball when we played quick and short football.

That said, it was probably a wise decision for Hodgson to ship him when he did because he'd of been a complete fucking disaster in Roy's setup and would have shown the manager up even more than he has been.

I think Hodgson just doesn't know hoe to utilize a player like AA. For Roy, it was a wise decision to let him out on loan. It's not a simple case of it being a poor decision to loan him out, but a matter of tactical nous.

I don't go along with him needing time on the ball. He'd get as much time as anybody in the league, and there are plenty of chancers getting games who are slow-thinkers. He only needed some more settling in, same as any player would. Think Malouda. Am I mistaking in thinking that his assists (not that that is the be all of judging Mids) were greater than Lucas' and Masch put together, but with with fewer games played?

I think Hodgson just doesn't know hoe to utilize a player like AA. For Roy, it was a wise decision to let him out on loan. It's not a simple case of it being a poor decision to loan him out, but a matter of tactical nous.

I don't go along with him needing time on the ball. He'd get as much time as anybody in the league, and there are plenty of chancers getting games who are slow-thinkers. He only needed some more settling in, same as any player would. Think Malouda. Am I mistaking in thinking that his assists (not that that is the be all of judging Mids) were greater than Lucas' and Masch put together, but with with fewer games played?

He has one assist this year for Juventus.

I get the impression a lot of you seem to think that if Aquilani were still here, he'd be displaying the same form he's showing at Juventus. He might well have done but I think it's more likely he'd have been very much a bit-part player under Hodgson, partly because he clearly doesn't fit Hodgson's thinking, and partly because he'd be spending a long time keeping Aurelio and Agger company in the treatment room.

Interesting to cite the example of Malouda as a reason why players need to be allowed time to settle. Bear in mind Malouda is a French international originally from the Caribbean living in London amongst many other internationals from his adopted country. In terms of settling down it's probably a little easier for him given that he's familiar with upping sticks. Also in London he would find a lot of things familiar to him from France, not just in terms of people.

Aquilani had left his home town club and all that was familiar to him, to join a club where there was only one other player who could speak his language. Unfortunately that player had failed to settle himself and left a few months later, leaving a city much less cosmopolitan than London. Yes Torres left his home town club too, but he had the advantage of having at least 3 settled countrymen to help him acclimatise.

Despite not settling, he had certainly shown decent glimpses of his ability, but now being in a more familiar environment it's helped him rediscover his form. A shame, but probably best for both parties.

I have seen him play three times in the last month and not sure I agree. Comparing what he did here might not be enough either, though i am fine with you having a different opinion. He is helped massively by having two players in front of him though, and that is something he was not going to get here.

Fair enough, agree to disagree. I've seen most of Juve's games this season - as I've watched them for years - and I think he's worked hard. Certainly Melo takes on most of the responsbility in terms of defensive work, but Aquilani's not been shy of putting in a shift.