You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And statistics don't lie. Dear me.

Quantitative data may have him with an assist every 108 minutes, but anybody who watched him play can almost without reservation tell you he wasn't up to it. I go for qualitative data on this one. A poor performer for Liverpool. Sell, sell, sell.

When you say qualitative; do mean subjective opinion? The stats above are fact; take them how you like. Aquilani got 6 assists in his last 10 games with us. He played well when he got to play. The loan move was and is ridiculous; his "replacements" Cole & Merieles have been far less effective.

We should sign Alexander Ovechkin.

The only other ice hockey player I could name besides Wayne Gretzsky. Scored an almost impossible goal once.

As for Aquilani's assists, I can't remember if he got any against Portsmouth or West Ham, but I do recall one against Spurs and two at Burnley.

I dont think Aquilani was ever shit for us. He played well when he played. Problem is he didnt play that often and when he did play it was against teams like Burnley and Pompey.

Those were the only games he could play for us because he had absolutely no bite to him at all. I remember seeing him shit out of numerous 50/50s and get muscled off the ball far too easily.

I think he was very good at tearing mediocre teams to shreds. But against teams with alot of physicality(which is half the premier league) he would suffer.

Personally I'd have him back just to see how he'd do out of curiosty but i'm happier with Meireles in the team instead. Problem is Meireles isnt even being played in the right fucking position at the moment.

Michael Brown at Portsmouth not physical?

It's obvious he needed game time to improve his fitness and confidence. He should be judged by what he brings to the team not the other way around.

Either way was it stupid decision to Loan him out? Of course it was.

Guest davelfc
amazing. i hope comolli brings him back. he's pinging pinpoint passes reminding me a little of xabi.

Doesn't mean he will get the time or be up to the physical side of the premiership. Just look at last season.

Doesn't mean he will get the time or be up to the physical side of the premiership. Just look at last season.

The real problem with Aquilani is you have to play 4-2-3-1 and Hodgson likes to play two banks of 4 but if Hodgson left id bring him back.

I personally think a midfield 3 of Lucas Aquilani and Gerrard is better against defensive teams than one with Mierles in it.

Guest PurpleNose
The real problem with Aquilani is you have to play 4-2-3-1 and Hodgson likes to play two banks of 4 but if Hodgson left id bring him back.

I personally think a midfield 3 of Lucas Aquilani and Gerrard is better against defensive teams than one with Mierles in it.

You could also play 4-1-4-1, 4-3-2-1, or 4-3-1-2. There are plenty of options with Aquilani. I just wouldn't have him as part of a two man central midfield.

I'd love to see him come back, and assuming Hodgson won't be here much longer.

He has the touch and technique to buy himself time. He's a very clever player and rarely gets caught in possession. Again you should be looking at what he can add to the team not what he doesn't do well, he brings superb distribution, can organise the play and has great vision to create chances.

He deserved another season here to prove himself but Roy fucked him off without giving a second thought; probably because he was convinced that Joe Cole would suddenly justify the hype that has followed his entire career.

*sigh* Hampered by injuries, first season in a new league, and still managed to impress on occasion and provide assists in a side struggling badly for form. He'd adapt. I'd love him back.

unfortunately there isnt a chance we'll get him back unless he breaks again

Looks that way. Unless Juve don't stump up the cash, I'm not sure they are that flush these days. But the decision is ultimately with Aquilani. But maybe Comolli and whoever we have managing us next Summer can convince him to stay.

I'd rather have kept him and used Spearing instead of Poulsen. In fact using Spearing instead of Poulsen wouldn't even be dependent on that, but you know what I mean, squad places and all that. There were a couple of flashes of what he could do last season, some lovely passing, but not enough to make a judgement, either way.