You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

We paid more for Aqualani than Inter did for Snijder, plenty of creative midfielders available for £17m last summer, we went for possibly the worst option given the player and his injuries

why Purslow wanted straight cash for Alonso instead of Sneijder as part of the deal i have no fucking idea

if anyone could've softened the blow of Xabi going it would've been Sneijder

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why Purslow wanted straight cash for Alonso instead of Sneijder as part of the deal i have no fucking idea

if anyone could've softened the blow of Xabi going it would've been Sneijder

He wanted cash because a large percentage of it would never be seen again.

As is still happening now.

We have quietly become a selling club.

We've paid £15m already for Aqualani, and it would have been better to get £10m plus snijder which is basicly what Xabi was valued at, can't blame Aqualani on purslow given that Rafa had the control

Fact is from Torres onwards benitez was a fuckin disaster in the transfer Market, 2008 summer was the worst in our history and that includes 2002, but to out do that benitez made a bollocks of the following summer as well

What the Juve website said of Aqua:

In the summer of 2009 he was transferred to Liverpool. His debut with the Reds came at the end of October during the League Cup and Alberto soon became loved by the public. In England he made 27 appearances and scored 2 goals, one in the championship and the other in the Europa League. Now he returns to Italy and joins Juventus with the objective of delighting the Juve fans with his moves.

--

Really? When did that happen? :P

Juventus.com - News Serie A

• 2 weeks later...

From James Horncastle's twitter just now:

Aquilani: "One day I was speaking with Hodgson + we discussed Liverpool's season, then 3 days later I found myself doing a medical at Juve

Aquilani: "Liverpool counted on me and in the end I would also have stayed because at the end of last season I had got in gear physically"

Aquilani: "Then this opportunity arrived and I didn't think about it even for a minute"

Aquilani: Moggi wanted me, DDR + D'Ago. Not bad for a midfield. You can say everything about Moggi except that he didn't understand football

i think the truth lies somewhere between this:

We've paid £15m already for Aqualani, and it would have been better to get £10m plus snijder which is basicly what Xabi was valued at, can't blame Aqualani on purslow given that Rafa had the control

and this:

this bit is deffo true regardless of whatever the true monies being made available were:

Fact is from Torres onwards Benitez was a fuckin disaster in the transfer Market, 2008 summer was the worst in our history and that includes 2002, but to out do that benitez made a bollocks of the following summer as well

i think the truth lies somewhere between this

I think it's more likely that we needed the majority of the Alonso money to pay off the debt, and therefore would only afford a small initial outlay on his replacement. This made the upfront 5m euros for Aquilani very appealing.

It's surely no coincidence that when the next installment of 3m euros was due in January, we offloaded both Dossena and Voroning for fees totalling £6.5m and only brought in a free transfer in Rodriguez (presumably any remainder going to pay for his wages)

When the next payment of 7m euros came due in June, we got shut of Benayoun for £6m.

It seems apparent to me that we've living hand to mouth.

I think it's more likely that we needed the majority of the Alonso money to pay off the debt, and therefore would only afford a small initial outlay on his replacement. This made the upfront 5m euros for Aquilani very appealing.

It's surely no coincidence that when the next installment of 3m euros was due in January, we offloaded both Dossena and Voroning for fees totalling £6.5m and only brought in a free transfer in Rodriguez (presumably any remainder going to pay for his wages)

When the next payment of 7m euros came due in June, we got shut of Benayoun for £6m.

It seems apparent to me that we've living hand to mouth.

I wish intelligent statements like this got more airing on this forum.

blatently obvious both Rafa and Hodgson are being forced to make good on a bad situation.

I can understand but not agree why Hodgson has been looking and bidding for players he knows, players the average LFC fan would regard as a class below expected standards. He can not afford the gambles Rafa attempted with the likes of Aquilani and Dossena. He's gone for sure things. The only problem with that is the quality thats already at the club won't be best pleased with it and will be off on their toes soon!

• 3 weeks later...

That's good.

Do Juve have a fee agreed, should he be successful on loan?

I would hope if he was successful, we'd have the option to bring him back, rather than they having the option to buy him.

That's good.

Do Juve have a fee agreed, should he be successful on loan?

I would hope if he was successful, we'd have the option to bring him back, rather than they having the option to buy him.

Yeah, they have a fee of €16m agreed to make the deal permanent, paid in three installments over three years.