You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good player. Bad mistake letting him leave, especially on loan.

In what possible way was it a mistake?

If anything it was shrewd as fuck!

He was abysmal for virtually every minute he had on the pitch for us, bar one crappy headed knock back that led to a goal.

If he is as good as some say he is, then lend him out. uif he does well and improves then we can bring him back OR sell him for decent money.

Win:Win.

I'm not hopeful at all of this scenario, but there's a tiny, teeny weeny chance that (providing he IS as good as people are claiming in Italy) he could even bring that form back to us.

He won't though... Because he's FUCKING SHIT.

What's your issue? I don't get it.

In what possible way was it a mistake?

What's your issue? I don't get it.

I fail to see what you dont get. Ive said it all in that little post i made. Hes a good player. we are short of good players. If we had sold him this year and replaced him with someone better then fair enough. We loaned him out and bought Poulsen for £4.5m. Now if you want to talk about a shit player, Poulsen is up there with the worst i have seen.

I fail to see what you dont get. Ive said it all in that little post i made. Hes a good player. we are short of good players. If we had sold him this year and replaced him with someone better then fair enough. We loaned him out and bought Poulsen for £4.5m. Now if you want to talk about a shit player, Poulsen is up there with the worst i have seen.

Poulsen is one of few players who've actually performed worse for us than Aquilani, I'll give you that. But Poulsen's talent (or lack of) has has 100% zero to do with sending Aquilani out on load.

Who doesn't win in the situation?

he was NOT a good player for us. he was absolutely fucking horrendous. What benefit is there in allowing a player to continue being horrendous week in week out?

a loan was absolutely perfect. He'd get regular football and he MIGHT go on to improve as a consequence. We would then have the choice to either have him back or sell him for decent money.

please explain to me who doesn't win in this situation?

He wasnt awful for us at all. we played some decent football with him in the side. Hes a great passer of the ball. He wasnt fully fit until the last few weeks of the season. He never got a proper chance here.

He does us no good being in Italy. If he was here, even just in the squad, its another good option to bring on. He can do nothing for us in Italy and we have no hope of bringing him back now. Juve have the right to buy him at about £13m. Thats in his contract. Now that hes there i dont see him wanting to come back either. Juve fans cant get enough of him now either. Has totally transformed their team.

Totally agree. (Btw, according to an ITK on rawk, Hodgson wanted shot of both Aquilani and Lucas Leiva(apparently because they were poor in training or summat). God knows were we'd be now if both of these moves had occured!

Totally agree. (Btw, according to an ITK on rawk, Hodgson wanted shot of both Aquilani and Lucas Leiva(apparently because they were poor in training or summat). God knows were we'd be now if both of these moves had occured!

Is this from one of the "approved" ITK's?

**Shakes head**

Aquilani wasnt shit for us at all. When he played, he played well.

Problem with him though was he was obviously a creative midfielder who doesnt have much bite about him.

Which would be fine against teams like Pompey and Burnley where he ran riot and almost single handedly destroyed those teams.

Against teams with a bit more fight about them he might still create the odd chance but he definently wasnt going to get stuck in the way a Lucas or Meireles would. I remember the Bolton game where he was very good but he got knocked off the ball alot and I remember him pulling out of alot of challenges which drove me mad.

I'd love to have Aquilani in the team in some way which would accomodate him but unfortunately I just dont think it would without sacrificing a bit of our midfield combativeness.

I dunno but i recall that Lucas stuck in a transfer request and we had Gokhan Inler lined up as a replacement, I think.

Who reported that though? I can't remember.