You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have him back in a heartbeat.

Midfield trio of Gerrard, Aquilani and Meilreles interchanging positions would be awesome. With Cole, Kuyt ( Jovanovic, or Babel) on the wings they could do something.

The worst decision from Roy so far ( and he made a few of them already :drool: )

Aquilani has proved since he was brought to the club that he is injury prone and cant play more than 5 games in row. Bad signing and we were right to get rid. Roy has made many many mistakes since being here, the issues with Roy is more to do with playing players out of position and defending so deep the defenders are standing on top of pepe. But trying to flog Aquilani was not a bad call he was a terrible signing. The fact no team would pay money for him proves this he's off on loan and Juve might sign him but at a cut price deal.

Aquilani has proved since he was brought to the club that he is injury prone and cant play more than 5 games in row. Bad signing and we were right to get rid. Roy has made many many mistakes since being here, the issues with Roy is more to do with playing players out of position and defending so deep the defenders are standing on top of pepe. But trying to flog Aquilani was not a bad call he was a terrible signing. The fact no team would pay money for him proves this he's off on loan and Juve might sign him but at a cut price deal.

He was bought injured. I was against him being bought.There were other "healthy" possibilities for 20 mil.

But when he arrived I had to live with it. But he showed me, that he is quality player ( if played). He was more on the substitute bench ( leaving room for Leiva) as on the treatment table. He didn´t get enough opportunities on the field, for being considered as a total flop.

And few teams probably would pay for him, but we might wanted more as they could or wanted offer. No team would probably want pay more than 50% of 20 million, even if it was Ronaldo, when he played about 25 games together during 3 years.

Not nearly as baffled as a lot of people are with the decision to even bring him here in the first place.

Thats because he was billed as a replacement for Alonso which with all due respect to Alberto he isn't.

If he could sit in the hole though he could have been very very good for us, alot better than Jovanovic, Yossi or Cole so far. He just had a great pass and 9 times out of 10 it was first touch, so hard to defend.

;)

Yes.

And even poorer is a fact that he is so far our best defender this season ( and it´s not just my thought, but also many people who don´t particullary love Martin agreed on this).

Not been overly impressed with Skrtel this season, but he probably has been our best defender.

Diouf eclipses him for me. He was shit, expensive and an utter cunt. Albert seems a nice boy, just wickle bit sickly.

Definately. Id take Aquilani back right now for the team. I wouldnt let Diouf near the club.

Aquilani after he recovered only got 6 months at the club so bit harsh saying the worst signing ever ever ever, and signing a different player wouldn't have made much difference last season as the whole team was shit, plus I think he only missed 2 games through injury after his return so not really always injured.

Naw... Diouf was shit, but he didn't sink the club for an entire season. Replacing Aquilani's signing last season with someone like Defour, and we wouldn't have finished 7th. That's for sure.

Reluctantly negged you for that Diouf statement there fella.

And let's be honest Aquilani didn't stink the place out did he?

Out of interest. If Defour is so good how come he is still in Belgium, and nobody other than United are constantly linked to him.

What is so good about him that makes you think we would finished higher?

If he played like he did against Pompey - then yes he would have improved us.

If he played like he did all the other times he was used - then I don't think he would have at all. He was also really disappointing in pre season.

I have no problem sending him on loan, for him to get some form, game and confidence. However we should have the option for him.

an ITK on rawk (djphal?), the lad who usually names the team 24 hours in advance said AA was shipped out because of his attitude in training (Lucas was also supposed to be getting shipped out for this reason). There was an article over the weekend that 'senior players' are getting pissed off with Hodgsons 'conservative' training methods. Perhaps an ITK on here could shed more light on this?

If he played like he did all the other times he was used - then I don't think he would have at all. He was also really disappointing in pre season.

All the other times? He was very good v Atletico and we only went shit when he went off. Burnley away he was very good, same at home to Spurs, was decent away to Villa. He had a decent ratio of good games considering how little he played. He should have been given this season, if he is shit then let him prove it rather than the club just assuming it and farming him out on loan.

One things for sure I'd much rather him in our midfield than Lucas or Poulsen. Whether it was a concidence or not some of our best performances last season were when he played, Gerrard in particular seemed to love having him on the pitch.

an ITK on rawk (djphal?), the lad who usually names the team 24 hours in advance said AA was shipped out because of his attitude in training (Lucas was also supposed to be getting shipped out for this reason). There was an article over the weekend that 'senior players' are getting pissed off with Hodgsons 'conservative' training methods. Perhaps an ITK on here could shed more light on this?

The only ITK's on here are those who get third-hand what Bascombe got from Carragher, and Carragher is hardly a reliable source.

All the other times? He was very good v Atletico and we only went shit when he went off. Burnley away he was very good, same at home to Spurs, was decent away to Villa. He had a decent ratio of good games considering how little he played. He should have been given this season, if he is shit then let him prove it rather than the club just assuming it and farming him out on loan.

One things for sure I'd much rather him in our midfield than Lucas or Poulsen. Whether it was a concidence or not some of our best performances last season were when he played, Gerrard in particular seemed to love having him on the pitch.

I don't agree he was good in all the games you mentioned. For example Spurs at home, I thought he was poor.

I would also like him ahead of Lucas and Poulsen, but then again I'd rather have Gerrard and Meireles over Aquilani.

Aquilani after he recovered only got 6 months at the club so bit harsh saying the worst signing ever ever ever, and signing a different player wouldn't have made much difference last season as the whole team was shit, plus I think he only missed 2 games through injury after his return so not really always injured.

But when people label him he worst signing ever its not just his qualities as a player they take into consideration, also the fact he was injured when we bought him and he would not be ready before late in October at best which again meant we had to play the Lucas-Mascherano combo more than is healthy and on top of that we spent half our transfer budget on him when we really needed ready made replacements for Alonso and other vital positions like up front.

Its amazing how foreign players at this club get branded as shit with so little playing time, the mancs seem to be able to give there foreign players a couple of seasons! It always seems everyone else was watching a different player with Aquilani looked class at times to me, would of only got better as he got used to English footy and his team mates etc.

But when people label him he worst signing ever its not just his qualities as a player they take into consideration, also the fact he was injured when we bought him and he would not be ready before late in October at best which again meant we had to play the Lucas-Mascherano combo more than is healthy and on top of that we spent half our transfer budget on him when we really needed ready made replacements for Alonso and other vital positions like up front.

This is why I added the bit about everyone being shit and a different player not making much difference.

Also, we didn't spend all our transfer budget, crucially in a time of cash flow problems we laid out €2m that summer to buy him. (Actually that was all our transfer budget!)

It wasn't Just Alberto though was it? Everyone KNOWS Rafa' Wanted to buy both Alberto Aquilani And Stevan Jovetic together but was scuppered by the Board withdrawing ALL transfer funds in Summer 2009 - Given what Jovetic then did to us in the CL in the Away Game at Fiorentina just AFTER Rafa' and everyone else caught out George Gillett as Publicly lying to a member of this very site during an innocuous interview? And given the fact that awful perfomance in Florence was the REAL beginning of our current slump - It wasn't the wisest decision by the Board or those tw*ts who claim to 'own' us was it?

Does Anyone Remember our Best performances towards the end of Last season? Those like our demolitions of Sunderland, Lille, Pompey, Burnley (A) and Benfica? All coincidentally involving Aquilani who also played Very well against Atletico as well. Well? THAT is what we Could have played like All the time IF Rafa' had got the Two Attacking Midfielders he was after in Aquilani and Jovetic - He always meant for BOTH of them to replace Alonso and cover for each other when the other was injured - Do you think we'd have been So bad when Alberto was out last season if we'd had someone the quality of Jovetic to fill in for him? No, I didn't think so either.

Basically, Rafa's intention was to provide an Advanced (I.e. Attacking Midfield) Replacement for Alonso - Not another Holding Midfielder in his mould - He was trying to evolve us so the Focal Point of All our attacks which Alonso used to be was in the Attacking Third of the pitch rather than OUR half as when it worked it brought us Many more goals - Our Home Record last year brought us even more wins than in 08/09 and we were damn near invincible then. Clearly that was different for our team to learn in terms of tactics and formations compared to before and would have took them a while to get used to under Rafa'. However, If he'd had TWO players of the sort he wanted brought in, the team would no doubt have found it MUCH easier to adapt no?

In the end? Rafa's plan for the team was perfectly logical and IF successful would have at least kept us competing last season far better than we did. In hindsight? Rafa' would have been better off negotiating a deal for Meireles in place of Aquilani with Jovetic or in addition to Aquilani and instead of Jovetic since Jovetic eventually ended up severely injured. Isn't it possible though that maybe Rafa' felt So boxed in and opposed by the board re signings after the twin Robbie Keane and Gareth Barry Carry-on's the previous summer That he wasn't thinking clearly and thus missed this chance? One things for sure? Rafa' Would NEVER have played Meireles as a fcuking winger as his not-fit-to-Lick-his-boots so-called successor as manager has - Rafa' KNOWS where players like that go and it isn't on the wings.

After all how can Rafa' be blamed? It's not HIS fault the Board first starved him of funds and then stupidly allowed one of their number in Gillette to be caught actually Lying in public by Rafa' which I'm convinced started our downward spiral (you know? The interview a member of THIS site did with him when he SWORE he put in his own money in despite us all knowing he didn't) - The latter event I'm convinced sucked the soul and what fight was left out of our team come the end of last September (2009) and I don't think we've even come CLOSE to finding it yet - We won't do either until the Twin Horrors are Long gone and the Road to Recovery can finally begin...............................

Edited by Redshadow

Juventus intend to capitalise on Liverpool’s financial problems by sealing a cut-price £10million deal for Alberto Aquilani in the January transfer window.

The Italy midfielder, a flop at Anfield since his £18m move from Roma last year, joined Juventus on a season-long loan in the summer.

A permanent £16m move has been discussed, but Juve sense an opportunity to lower the price and are ready to negotiate it down to around £10m. They may also make an approach for defender Glen Johnson if they fail to prise Gregory van der Wiel away from Ajax.

Liverpool’s former Ajax winger Ryan Babel has been linked with a swap deal for Valencia star Juan Mata.

Meanwhile, Ajax are considering making a player-coach offer to former favourite Edgar Davids, despite the 37-year-old struggling on his return to playing action at Crystal Palace.

Read more: Juventus seek cut-price £10m deal for Liverpool flop Alberto Aquilani | Mail Online

Read more: Juventus seek cut-price £10m deal for Liverpool flop Alberto Aquilani | Mail Online