You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd leave Gerrard where he is, put Maxi on the right and play Kuyt upfront with Ngog or just behind him.

Ngog did well yesterday, but I think his main weakness is his holding up of the ball. Kuyt can help with this and away from home, we'll need to be able to hold up the ball at City.

I still laugh at the people lauding after him because of one good game last season, he was fucking dire then had a good game against a dire Pompey and that thread was bumped praising him with various 'told you so's' scoff scoff.

This is simply not true he was excellent against athletico in the semi, when he went off we didnt play aswell and he also played well against chelsea and these are only a couple I can think of off top of my head.

I think our best team would include aqua with him either ahead of gerrad or the other way round with cole on the wing and I think we may well end up playing this way a few months in.If we do play with cole on the hole then aqua has to be back up as I cant see him and gerrad playing together in the middle.

This is simply not true he was excellent against athletico in the semi, when he went off we didnt play aswell and he also played well against chelsea and these are only a couple I can think of off top of my head.

I think our best team would include aqua with him either ahead of gerrad or the other way round with cole on the wing and I think we may well end up playing this way a few months in.If we do play with cole on the hole then aqua has to be back up as I cant see him and gerrad playing together in the middle.

Indeed he was mate, he ran the game for periods and looked very good. Sadly I don't think he will ever be a 90 minutes a game and a 40-50 games per season player.

I think possibly it could be a trust issue over here, our football is more demanding, and we will obviously know what kind of trust Roy has in him during Cole's enforced absence. If Roy changes the formation to not play him that will speak volumes and if Pacheco or Babel are chosen in front of him, that will speak even louder.

If Aquilani is ever going to get two or three games under this Manager,then it will be the next ones. I don't mind him staying if Roy likes 4-1-4-1 and sees it as the best way to get the Optimum amount of the parts at his disposal and if Roy sees him as a direct replacement for Cole. However, if he doesn't feature in Cole's absence, I do wonder if there is any wisdom in keeping him.

Mascherano and Gerrard were brilliant yesterday.

At what? They were completely outplayed by Diaby and Wilshere when it was 11 v 11. That's nowhere near good enough, and they were nowhere near "brilliant".

Don't know about you but i like my midfield to be able to pass and keep the ball, and not only look "good" when our backs are to the wall.

At what? They were completely outplayed by Diaby and Wilshere when it was 11 v 11. That's nowhere near good enough, and they were nowhere near "brilliant".

Don't know about you but i like my midfield to be able to pass and keep the ball, and not only look "good" when our backs are to the wall.

Yeah. We really missed Lucas and Aquilani.

Perhaps those two should be our CM partnership?

Of course, some mongs will actually agree with that.

Yeah. We really missed Lucas and Aquilani.

Perhaps those two should be our CM partnership?

Of course, some mongs will actually agree with that.

As much as you dislike the thoughht of Lucas and Aquilani playing you can't deny that Diaby and Wilshere had Gerrard and Masch in their pockets.

I don't know why some people have developed this dislike of Aquilani. The guy tries when he plays. Sometimes he's good and sometimes he's not so good. That smacks of a foreign player getting used to the league which 90% of foreign players go through. Some of you I feel are being unduly harsh.

I have never seen anything good from Aquilani. I don't know why so many here seem to think he's some sort of world class midfielder who just hasn't shown us his best form. I doubt too many here had actually seen a great deal of him prior to him moving here.

He's yet another expensive dud that Benitez signed and dumped us with. Now that he's managing in Italy perhaps he would consider taking Aquilani back home considering the trust Benitez seemingly placed in him? Come on Rafa, take him to Inter, preferably for the same ridiculous amount you made Liverpool pay for him.

I have never seen anything good from Aquilani. I don't know why so many here seem to think he's some sort of world class midfielder who just hasn't shown us his best form. I doubt too many here had actually seen a great deal of him prior to him moving here.

He's yet another expensive dud that Benitez signed and dumped us with. Now that he's managing in Italy perhaps he would consider taking Aquilani back home considering the trust Benitez seemingly placed in him? Come on Rafa, take him to Inter, preferably for the same ridiculous amount you made Liverpool pay for him.

Wow, really?

I'm not saying he's pulled up any trees but you can't deny the goals and assists.

I know a lot of you on these boards were desperate for Rafa to go but using this signing to still bash him with after he's gone is poor form.

As much as people don't like to admit it. Gerrard cannot play CM. He's tactically undisciplined and throws himself in with far too many reckless challenges. He has to play on the right or as a second striker.

"Steven Gerrard cannot play as a Central Midfielder"

Look upon my spastic works, ye mighty and DESPAIR!

Did you not see Gerrard throw himself in twice for mistimed bookable tackles?

Did you also not see Gerrard done over in midfield by Wilshire and Diaby?

He had an ordinary first 45 minutes. Like the rest of our team. And then had a very good second 45 minutes, when we only had 10 men, and Gerrard was everywhere, while Wilshere and Diaby shrivelled.

Gerrard is one of the finest central midfielders in the world.