You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Roys view on the team

JermainePennant

Guest davelfc
I would not call it opinion, that's just hindsight.

I said that no big manager would entertain us 'given our situation' if he was serious well before Hodgson was appointed.

That we appointed Hodgson seemed to back up that opinion. Until of course I saw that we had another person listed. Not exactly mystic meg, it was obvious.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest davelfc
If you not a winner you must be a loser. Thats a fact

In a cup final there is a winner and a loser its that simple and in the PL there is 19 losers, some bigger losers than others.

I can see I'm wasting my time here.

I just don't understand how you can ridicule Hodgson's lack of major silverware but then laud another manager who has the same issue.

In terms of style of play, only time will tell on that score but when I saw Fulham play last season, they played good football in my opinion.

When I saw Villareal & Madrid last season they played better football.

Because Brownie given the position we're in picking managers who haven't won much is were we're at, so style of play is the next best thing.

But if all things being equal and in a perfect world would I have Pellegrini ahead of Capello, Lippi or Del Bosque. No of course not but we have to cut our cloth accordingly and I do think Pellegrini was a better choice than Hodgson.

But the point I was making originally is that the very best you could say about Hodgson's career to date is that it's decent at best.

I don't think that's a particularly controversial point to make.

Haha Pelligrini managed to not win La Liga with a team that should've steam rollered the league.

He got outsmarted by Guardiola when he tried to play Arbeloa left back and copy Benitez but Guardiola played Alves there instead.

I'd rather Hodgson to this Pelligrini fella.

That Barca side contains Iniesta, Xavi & Messi I'm sorry no amount of money is going to overcome that.

When I saw Villareal & Madrid last season they played better football.

Because Brownie given the position we're in picking managers who haven't won much is were we're at, so style of play is the next best thing.

But if all things being equal and in a perfect world would I have Pellegrini ahead of Capello, Lippi or Del Bosque. No of course not but we have to cut our cloth accordingly and I do think Pellegrini was a better choice than Hodgson.

But the point I was making originally is that the very best you could say about Hodgson's career to date is that it's decent at best.

I don't think that's a particularly controversial point to make.

I don't think it's controversial either but i'd say it's slightly inaccurate. I think Hodgson has proven that he's a good manager throughout his career, and i'd say the same about Pellegrini.

I probably would have chosen Pellegrini ahead of Hodgson as well but i'm still happy with Hodgson considering the circumstances. I hope he proves a lot of people wrong.

Haha Pelligrini managed to not win La Liga with a team that should've steam rollered the league.

He got outsmarted by Guardiola when he tried to play Arbeloa left back and copy Benitez but Guardiola played Alves there instead.

I'd rather Hodgson to this Pelligrini fella.

In Pellegrini's first season in charge, his Madrid side finished on a record 96 points second only to possibly one of the greatest teams of our generation. Blinkered as they are, even Madrid fans were not expecting to steamroller the league last year.

Prior to that, in his time at Villarreal, he lead what were a minnow compared to the opposition, to a 2nd place finish and had them playing fantastic, attacking football which also saw them reach the semi finals of the Champions League.

He is a somewhat understated but high calibre coach who walked away from the Madrid job with his reputation firmly intact, if not in many ways enhanced. Very few managers have been able to do that.

Edited by Coro

Guest davelfc
Its hard to argue with the facts

Souness was a winner FACT

Sweet dreams

Hard to argue with a lunatic.

I can see what you are doing though, calling Hodgson a loser. There's always a few people on forums that will slate any player, managerial appointment from the start. These people will tell us all that they predicted this, that they were right and we were all wrong.

Should he turn out to be a success then a quick about turn that is hardly noticed is made.

The rest of us hold our breath and hope he does well. I've yet to put an internet forum victory on my CV, maybe that's where I am going wrong.