You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Roys view on the team

JermainePennant

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

He's trying to establish the rationale for setting up the team to play for a draw at home. He only had 3 PL away wins in two years at Fulham. At home he allowed more attacking but only on counter-attacks. By claiming that LFC is so far behind Arsenal he is saying that he is justified in instructing the players to play like its an away game i.e. deep and defensively. Of course he will be hoping that he gets lucky with counter-attacks.

Agreed with this partly, but also that it's clearly going to take longer for him to get the team playing how he wants them to.

I'm sure Benitez said in year two of his reign that we were only playing 80% of the way he wanted.

This is the same crap. All managers say this same old crap. Its meaningless, always has been.

He is under massive pressure and I fear its starting to show. I'm worried with his massively defeatist attitude. Its like hes starting to get his excuses in before anythings gone wrong.

Fact is Roy, all the Liverpool managers going back to Shanks have all won trophies. Some of them have won them in their first full season as manager of our club. You took this job in full knowledge of that so go out and do your job and stop the moaning. You will be judged on what you do as manager of our club not on how accomodating you are to the gutter press. All that shite doesn't bother us one bit, even if it does impress the money men at our club.

Meanwhile, Rafa was winning his first trophy at Inter beating Juventus and Athletico Madrid in two 45 minute games. He also mentioned that now he has got the team playing there is time for the transfer market. So we will see what, if anything, happens with Masch.

Roy still has all the same problems that Rafa encountered over the past 18 months so it is a really challenging job to be in at the moment. In fact it is probably even more difficult as our financial position due to being owned even longer by the owners is even more precarious.

The only advantage that Roy may have is fans and the media have lowered their expectations of what is deemed successful. So Hodgson doesn't even have to win silverware now to be considered a success.

Take no notice? Why come out and say it? He can play down expectations easily enough without comments like those. I fully agree he should play down expectations, with what little money we have it's no wonder.

Of course a side wouldn't be as drilled under a new manager after 7 sessions together but would you expect him to come out and say they we're no where near good enough? Surely a manager wouldn't expect the side to be ticking over in his fashion in such a short period of time.

there's a reason the article forgets to mention he added two of those teams have had their mgr for years. Keep your pants on and save your roy whinging for another day!

The only advantage that Roy may have is fans and the media have lowered their expectations of what is deemed successful. So Hodgson doesn't even have to win silverware now to be considered a success.

When I hear him say "Winning trophies is not important, challenging for them is" I'll believe he is trying to lower expectations.

No just a lot of LFC fans depressed to have a scrubber as manager.

How about appointing a manager of our own level instead of this maggot?

And yeah, who ever said it we should be getting 80 points with the players that we've got but if anyone thinks Roy Hodgson is gonna get anywhere near 80 points then they should have a fat man vomit all over their newest pair of shoes to break their concentration. Lets rethink our ideas a bit hey?

The only maggot mate is you.

Have a bit of respect. I wanted Rafa to stay and my first choice to replace him wasn't Hodgson, but now he's here the man deserves to be backed in the same way as his predecessors. That's what reds are meant to be all about, but it seems as if we are getting more and more whoppers following us.

Maybe we can just conclude that it means fuck all what the manager says to the press, as he might say something completely different to the players in private? It shouldn't suddenly become a stick to beat Hodgson with when the "honeymoon" is over and we get to our first poor patch under him. Just as it was equally stupid when it was done to the last guy managing the club.

I don't like the way he talks about the team thus far. I think he could get his point across with far less negativity. Maybe along the lines of 'we've only had limited time together so far but I've liked what I've seen' or 'it will take us time to gel together', but every time he speaks he seems to emphatically dispel any hope or optimism that we'll succeed.

That might fly at places like Fulham to get the players into gear, but have we really fallen this far? One shit season and suddenly it's okay to play us up as underdogs?

Some might think that's fair but personally I don't have much of a taste for it.

Paraphrasing it all, he was answering a specific question along the lines of will we see a roy hodgson liverpool team tomorrow and he said not yet it takes more than 7 sessions to transition to that.

absolutely right. But you should be ashamed of yourself for removing all the drama out of it....

At the end of the day though, the proof is in the pudding as they say, i.e. on the pitch. I think it's fair to talk about how the manager speaks to the media etc but as ever, it all comes down to the results.

If Hodgson speaks in a defeatist nature to the press but we win titles then it won't be an issue. If he talks defeatist and we lose games, then it will be an issue.

That's just how it is.

At the end of the day though, the proof is in the pudding as they say, i.e. on the pitch. I think it's fair to talk about how the manager speaks to the media etc but as ever, it all comes down to the results.

If Hodgson speaks in a defeatist nature to the press but we win titles then it won't be an issue. If he talks defeatist and we lose games, then it will be an issue.

That's just how it is.

homer-boring-scaled.jpg