You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Demento's Homeless Striker

WaltonRed

This sounds dodgy as fuck, why would you spend over 7mill on a player that was signed on a free? Five weeks ago If I have read this correctly?

I'm sure if it goes wrong nothing will do said, does my tits in saying he won't be spending any money this window and he has spent over 30mill.

It fuckin does my head in too. The stick Rafa used to get (rightly or wrongly) over transfers, and that drunken old fucks had less hits than Geri Halliwell. But as long as they keep putting silverware in the cabinet, it'll all be overlooked.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This scares me big time.

Si, you could score 40 goals in 6 games against a team of homeless people just by having the advantage of not being high on smack or pissed on meths. That's the thing about the Homeless World Cup. These people aren't professional footballers, they're people who live on the streets, probably don't keep that fit, probably don't eat a good diet and as such probably aren't the finest physical specimens available.

Si, you could score 40 goals in 6 games against a team of homeless people just by having the advantage of not being high on smack or pissed on meths. That's the thing about the Homeless World Cup. These people aren't professional footballers, they're people who live on the streets, probably don't keep that fit, probably don't eat a good diet and as such probably aren't the finest physical specimens available.

Not sure if your reply was intended to be a pun but you'd be very surprised about the level of talent available. I have first hand experience of working with homeless, the Homeless World Cup and in fact work on a contract that involves our very own Liverpool FC and combatting homelessness and improving lives, helping people gain qualifications they never got at school and gaining the skills and confidence to look for work.

Plus they don't live on the streets, they live in hostels which in effect is a cheap flat with support workers monitoring them. I'll admit the support they do get could be better (my own opinion), but they are helped with trying to combat things like alcohol/drug addiction, non-skills, long term unemployed, ex offenders and helping those that want to back into employment and their own accommodation.

The trials this year have involved professional football clubs from all four divisions and the coaching for those who are successful in getting in the squad is currently undertaken by Man Utd, with Liverpool a potential for next year. Two previous players in the squad are now playing semi-professional football, with one who has had trials at a professional club only last month, so it's not as bad as you've made out.

I'm not having a go, and I probably had the same view as you up until last year as I had no involvement with homeless organisations having worked in the banking sector for 12 years. But when you're facing the dole, a job working with homeless and Liverpool FC appeals. In the last 12 months I've seen things you'd never imagine, but on the other hand I've seen people who have just been unlucky and have ended up in a situation that any of us could find ourselves in. It could be a simple as losing your job and being unable to pay the bills, or a drink problem that's spiralled out of control. I've worked with people who've just become depressed and just didn't care where they ended up. Or just fella's who've been binned off by their missus who's run off with their best mate and the kids and their life has just spiralled. There are lads there that are as fit as any player I've seen on a weekend in local leagues, and some players who've had trials at professional clubs in their youth, and even some that had contracts. If you think of them as just lads on the dole because they do claim it as they have a hostel address. I'm sure some people reading this have mates who are claiming benefits, do you see them as smackheads or pissheads who are begging for money on the street just because they haven't got a job?

We've had success with what I do, finding clients (the word we use for all people who I work with) who have found full time employment and now have their own flat. Nothing groundbreaking but it's a start. It's tiring work but it's worth it to see someone turn their life around.

But anyway I'm not here to have a pop, just trying to educate. I don't mean to go off on one and I apologise if you think I'm having a go at you or if I've taken your post the completely wrong way. I think I'm just pissed off as I've just got the knock back from Wigan Athletic for a job doing exactly what I'm doing now but working with schools.

While I'm here, there's an annual football tournament that we run at the Pitz which will happen October time(ish) with proceeds going towards the Liverpool Homeless Football Club. Doesn't cost a great deal, just a few quid a team. I was speaking to UEM about it last year who tried to get a team together from TLW but if anyone wants to stick a team in send me a PM. With UEM not posting here anymore if someone wants to put together a TLW team I'd love it. You'll be up against local businesses, as well as Liverpool & Everton coaching staff teams, with usually an ex-player playing for one of those teams.

Dude i was homeless and you preception is totaly wrong.

Not sure if your reply was intended to be a pun but you'd be very surprised about the level of talent available. I have first hand experience of working with homeless, the Homeless World Cup and in fact work on a contract that involves our very own Liverpool FC and combatting homelessness and improving lives, helping people gain qualifications they never got at school and gaining the skills and confidence to look for work.

Plus they don't live on the streets, they live in hostels which in effect is a cheap flat with support workers monitoring them. I'll admit the support they do get could be better (my own opinion), but they are helped with trying to combat things like alcohol/drug addiction, non-skills, long term unemployed, ex offenders and helping those that want to back into employment and their own accommodation.

The trials this year have involved professional football clubs from all four divisions and the coaching for those who are successful in getting in the squad is currently undertaken by Man Utd, with Liverpool a potential for next year. Two previous players in the squad are now playing semi-professional football, with one who has had trials at a professional club only last month, so it's not as bad as you've made out.

I'm not having a go, and I probably had the same view as you up until last year as I had no involvement with homeless organisations having worked in the banking sector for 12 years. But when you're facing the dole, a job working with homeless and Liverpool FC appeals. In the last 12 months I've seen things you'd never imagine, but on the other hand I've seen people who have just been unlucky and have ended up in a situation that any of us could find ourselves in. It could be a simple as losing your job and being unable to pay the bills, or a drink problem that's spiralled out of control. I've worked with people who've just become depressed and just didn't care where they ended up. Or just fella's who've been binned off by their missus who's run off with their best mate and the kids and their life has just spiralled. There are lads there that are as fit as any player I've seen on a weekend in local leagues, and some players who've had trials at professional clubs in their youth, and even some that had contracts. If you think of them as just lads on the dole because they do claim it as they have a hostel address. I'm sure some people reading this have mates who are claiming benefits, do you see them as smackheads or pissheads who are begging for money on the street just because they haven't got a job?

We've had success with what I do, finding clients (the word we use for all people who I work with) who have found full time employment and now have their own flat. Nothing groundbreaking but it's a start. It's tiring work but it's worth it to see someone turn their life around.

But anyway I'm not here to have a pop, just trying to educate. I don't mean to go off on one and I apologise if you think I'm having a go at you or if I've taken your post the completely wrong way. I think I'm just pissed off as I've just got the knock back from Wigan Athletic for a job doing exactly what I'm doing now but working with schools.

While I'm here, there's an annual football tournament that we run at the Pitz which will happen October time(ish) with proceeds going towards the Liverpool Homeless Football Club. Doesn't cost a great deal, just a few quid a team. I was speaking to UEM about it last year who tried to get a team together from TLW but if anyone wants to stick a team in send me a PM. With UEM not posting here anymore if someone wants to put together a TLW team I'd love it. You'll be up against local businesses, as well as Liverpool & Everton coaching staff teams, with usually an ex-player playing for one of those teams.

Ace tha id be welll up for it.

Almost as wrong as your 7th word there! Of course I'm being sarcastic, but you just said that you're worried about a guy who scored 40 goals in 6 games in a homeless world cup. As Furmedge said in his excellent post above, some of these players carry a good level of fitness and play semi professionally. No disrespect to them, but that's semi professionally. I don't think we need to be worried just yet about a player who scored 40 goals in 6 games at a semi professional level just yet.

Furmedge, sounds like you're involved in a very noble cause there. I wasn't meaning to be disrespectful, more that Simon's post was wildly over the top for a change.

Almost as wrong as your 7th word there! Of course I'm being sarcastic, but you just said that you're worried about a guy who scored 40 goals in 6 games in a homeless world cup. As Furmedge said in his excellent post above, some of these players carry a good level of fitness and play semi professionally. No disrespect to them, but that's semi professionally. I don't think we need to be worried just yet about a player who scored 40 goals in 6 games at a semi professional level just yet.

Furmedge, sounds like you're involved in a very noble cause there. I wasn't meaning to be disrespectful, more that Simon's post was wildly over the top for a change.

Yeah because these would be the best about no? the homeless world cup will all have great players im sure.

Yeah, the best homeless players Simon, not the best professional footballers. There's an enormous gulf in class there.

Just because there homeless doesnt matter these people represent there countries. Im surre they are capable of playing for a very low league side even that would still be impressive its like 7 goals a game.

Just because there homeless doesnt matter these people represent there countries. Im surre they are capable of playing for a very low league side even that would still be impressive its like 7 goals a game.

See Furmedge's post. Some of these players achieved game time for semi professional clubs. That's basically below The Conference. These are not players of a high calibre regardless of whether they've represented their country or not.

Bebe didn't even go to Homeless World Cup. It was in a fucking street football tournament! Probably 7-a-side or something.

Not good enough for a Homeless World Cup squad for worth 7.4m?

Didn't he appear in the Homeless World Cup as well?

Not exactly. He played for the CAIS homeless organisation in the European Street Football Festival in Bosnia last year when, amazingly, he scored 40 goals in six games - more than any team put together. But Portugal's Homeless World Cup squad had already been selected by then and it was too late to change.

Read more: Why Manchester United splashed out £7.4m on Bebe | Mail Online

Yeah, the best homeless players Simon, not the best professional footballers. There's an enormous gulf in class there.

Englands team had the guy with the cardboard banjo in goal & the guy who used to do the handstand with his head in a bucket outside McDonalds in midfield.

It was on Sky Sports 4.