You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Michael Owen

hunts_kopite

Went to see Owen sign for the Toon 5 years ago. £70 in train tickets and a 5am start. Day before I went on holiday too leaving me with eff all money to take! Saw him at Villa Park couple of years ago. I'd collected lots of autographs on an envelope. Owen began signing some. He looked at me, then the envelope, then me again, and walked off. Sorry guys, but that's disgusting. I know he had no way of knowing the effort I put in to support him. He may not have cared if he had known. But he lost my love that day. Screw him. Seriously though, cheap wages, under Woy, I'd have him back!!! If he scored, I'd muster a polite round of applause I think.

okay so being realistic you can't say anything we want you to say but what you can do is piss him off by asking him as many questions as possible about Liverpool, goals he got against the Scum, Newcastle's relegation and not being in the England squad and injuries, word it right and they can't stop you from asking them

But this is different. He didn't join Man United from Liverpool. He joined from Newcastle United and seemingly only because Liverpool didn't want him.

Maybe it's because I don't consider him to be half the player he used to be and although I do find it strange seeing him in a Man United kit I don't hate him for it. Fans tend to hate players that aren't loyal which is unfair I think. Sure appreciate those that are but don't necessarily hate those that aren't. I'll never boo him. I'd much rather thank him for all the wonderful memories.

You seem pleasant but naive if you don't mind me saying, Mumsy.

He left before giving Rafa any kind of chance. We got shafted and he walked away for nothing. Rafa did the right thing by letting him go: I'd have told Real to stuff their 6 mil and put Owen in the reserves to rot.

He then had the opportunity to rejoin but there was a discrepancy between teh asking price and what Liverpool could justifiably pay (how could a super-sub treble in value after one year?). He was told to sit tight and the deal would go through. He ignored this advice and went up to Newcastle (all of this of course, not because he wanted to play for Liverpool, but because he wanted to play for England).

He then joined the mancs and has conducted himself with as little dignity as he could muster ever since.

Went to see Owen sign for the Toon 5 years ago. £70 in train tickets and a 5am start. Day before I went on holiday too leaving me with eff all money to take! Saw him at Villa Park couple of years ago. I'd collected lots of autographs on an envelope. Owen began signing some. He looked at me, then the envelope, then me again, and walked off. Sorry guys, but that's disgusting. I know he had no way of knowing the effort I put in to support him. He may not have cared if he had known. But he lost my love that day. Screw him. Seriously though, cheap wages, under Woy, I'd have him back!!! If he scored, I'd muster a polite round of applause I think.

What on earth are you on about?

Why the bastard hell did you travel to Newcastle to become a Sky cheerleader for the day he signed for them?

the day i decided i hated michael owen , was a saturday while he was either with real madrid or newcastle and i stumbled across soccer am on the tv , he was doing some sort of interview towards the end of the programme where he was asked to name 3 of his own favourite goals , and do u think any was in the red of liverpool . not fucking one , the little toad . i think two of the goals he mentioned where for england , which says it all really .

so in a nutshell if i was ever to meet the odius turd , id wear my jersey wit pride an totally blank the little bastard

Guest PurpleNose

As him whether he realises that when he finally retires from football that, ok he'll be extremely rich, and will have played a sport he presumably loves for a living, he won't actually be liked by the fans of any of the clubs he's played for.

I don't understand the hate for Michael Owen. He served us incredibly well and had always said that he had wanted to play abroad at some point in his career. Maybe if more England players followed in similar footsteps they might just improve on the international stage.

He wanted to come back to Liverpool twice I believe but on both occasions we didn't want him or couldn't afford him so can you really blame him for joining Man United? Possibly his last chance at seriously competing for trophies.

Sure, I love players like Jamie Carragher who seemingly bleed Liverpool FC but I don't hate Michael Owen for wanting to try his luck at something different. As much as I love Liverpool FC if I was a professional footballer and was given the opportunity to play for top clubs in Italy and Spain I'm not sure I'd be able to say no either. There's a whole host of reasons one could give like the chance to experience new cultures, learn different styles of play, etc.

i think the whole "I'm about to sign a contract" bollocks got most people's goat here. Was he looking for a pen? Got his cut price move out of that, then joined the mancs and banged on about how amazing they were.

Fuck him.

I was not bothered for myself and not really that surprised but I was disapointed for all the kids yesterday.

Owen was present for a large group photo with all 56 teams when we first got to Wembley then spent the rest of the entire time there off at the other end of the stadium talking to TV cameras. He hardly signed any autographs for the kids.

Each team got it's own team photo with Geoff Hurst but unfortunately as the other teams were waiting he was not able to sign autographs but at least every kid got to meet him and even Trevor Brooking was signing autographs but not a sniff from Owen.

Now these kids were all 9 and 10 years old so don't really have a connection to Hurst and Brooking and all wanted to see Owen and spent the whole time at Wembley asking where he was. Then at the end of the day we couldn't go back and collect our bags from our seats in the stands because Owen was sitting one block over. There was only 11 of us (3 coaches and 8 kids) so it was hardly like he was going to be mobbed.

Where I might have had a little bit of interest in him before being one of my childhood heroes I can honestly say I won't even blink when hearing he might be at an event in the future.

Shithead, but no surprise. Michael Owen gives a fuck about nobody but Michael Owen. I think even playing football is just a marketing exercise with him, another chance to get on the telly.

I hope the kids had a good day despite the valuable life lesson they learned about rats.