You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Michael Owen

hunts_kopite

Obviously he has said some really silly things since the move to United & if he does have 'advisers' they are doing a piss poor job. His signing for the Mancs & his first comments were inflammatory which led to the barracking he received in the 2-0 game & I think instead of keeping his head down, he got hurt by that & decided to be snotty back & things have just escalated. Very similar situation with Newcastle fans also.

Although his departure was not by our choosing, with hindsight his Liverpool career was probably perfect, as he was fantastic while he was here & I think the workload was just catching up with him & leading him to be on the cusp of being 'broken'. I always remember watching an Arsenal game with my dad & Owen was playing up front on his own & taking an absolute kicking from Adams,Bould & Keown et al & my dad saying that Owen would be finished at 26.

On balance my great memories from his games here outweigh the shittiness he has displayed as a person since.

Torres wasn't moping, he was always injured then he had to play under Hodgson. It's like saying Alonso was moping for most of the 07/08 season because he kept on getting injured.

We were watching a different player from 09/10 then.

I remember being at Bolton about 4 games in and everyone was talking about his lack of effort and body language. He scored that day too but that was the beginning of the end that came 18 months later for me.

Too many broken promises was the initial cause although obviously this wouldn't excuse the way he went about leaving in the end.

• 11 months later...
There's lots of reasons to dislike Owen, but to say he wasn't a fantastic player for us is just silly. He was at the time, for most of the time, the only world class player we had. He played with some absolute dross but while he was at the club he never gave less than 100%. Compare that with the moping shite that was Torres in his last 18 months.

Owen's a nob, but I'd rather listen to his witless banter than have to put up with another prima donna who believes they are too good to have to put a bit of graft in. Torres had to play with some shite, but so did Owen. While he was here, Owen put the effort in. All these people tearing their hair out over a twitter or two plainly have no idea. Banter is just that, if sensitive flowers can't take it, then they shouldn't read it.

Good post . Dislike him or not he was one the best players we have ever had.