You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

If the Sherman tank that is Yaya Toure is worth 28m then the Panzer that is El Jefe is worth much much more.

I still think they're worth the same, but only because Yaya can pass better. If you say you're looking for a defensive mid then yeah, Masch is better, but all round I'd go for Yaya. I'd personally have Yaya, but only because I prefer teams to pass and retain the ball than even thinking about trying to win it back.

Will suck to see him go though, I don't concentrate on watching defensive players nearly as much as I do attacking, but still realise that Masch is a legend. I actually think Masch will be a Barca player before the window is shut too, and playing in Yaya's old spot. They didn't get Fabregas and have cash, and for Masch's sake I hope he ends up there, I think he'll enjoy it a lot more than Inter. No language barrier too, which might help the wife be happier!

Edited by Red Phoenix

• Replies 888
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nando please leave that hair to grow back, it's part of what you are. That next goal will come ya big massive legend, play freely and fuck any orders if they seem wrong at the time, no matter who gives them, you know best when you're planning to close down on goal, no-one else.

I only saw the highlights and from those we looked good apart from sitting back a bit when we were 1 up but that could have been the editing. Coles red was bollocks and has to be appealed so he shouldn't miss any games. Jov was monster in what I saw, a real powerhouse in amongst their defence, can't wait for him to blow defences apart with FT waiting for the through ball. Ngogs goal was pretty fucking good too.

For the pundits to say it was a goal keeping error proves they really are cunts. I would like to see anyone hold onto that ball coming back at them like that and pepe nearly did it. We looked alot better than we did at all last season and that's with some key players still getting their legs and new players settling in.

Come on city lets have some of you now.

Tell you what something needs to be done with the play acting. That fella who Cole got red carded against, writhing around in agony, acting like it was a break, strapped up and stretchered off looking all very serious then 15 minutes later jogging on the pitch.

Its not on. Every time Eboue or any other of the faggots that play for Arsenal got touched they went down. Ngog got pulled for a nothing challege on Vermaelen in the first half when Vermalean under pressure thought hed chuck himself onto the ground.

Typical prem.

If you saw Koscielny tackle and thought he was play acting, then you are clueless mate. The question should be why did Cole go in like that when there was no threat whatsoever? He gave the ref no choice and both his feet was of the ground. Im sure he wanted to show he’s keen as he hardly had a kick in the game. You had gerrard, mach and Cole in your midfield and they were dominated by an unfit diaby, 18 year old wilshere and Nasri…..If that was Liverpool up for a game, I hate to see how they will perform in a cold November when the vibe of new manager wears down.

If you saw Koscielny tackle and thought he was play acting, then you are clueless mate. The question should be why did Cole go in like that when there was no threat whatsoever? He gave the ref no choice and both his feet was of the ground. Im sure he wanted to show he’s keen as he hardly had a kick in the game. You had gerrard, mach and Cole in your midfield and they were dominated by an unfit diaby, 18 year old wilshere and Nasri…..If that was Liverpool up for a game, I hate to see how they will perform in a cold November when the vibe of new manager wears down.

Too true. Arsenal on the other hand like nothing more than a good battle on a cold November's afternoon. They're always really "up for it", aren't they?

Dominated we were, absolutely dominated. Good for you, you clearly know what you're talking about.

Too true. Arsenal on the other hand like nothing more than a good battle on a cold November's afternoon. They're always really "up for it", aren't they?

Dominated we were, absolutely dominated. Good for you, you clearly know what you're talking about.

Are you denying you 3 main midfielders were dominated at home first half and couldn’t keeper the ball? On paper mach, gerrard and cole looks good, in reality only mach is top class, while the other two are very overrated English player. Also don’t get me started on cole being better than messi lool

Are you denying you 3 main midfielders were dominated at home first half and couldn’t keeper the ball? On paper mach, gerrard and cole looks good, in reality only mach is top class, while the other two are very overrated English player. Also don’t get me started on cole being better than messi lool

Gerrard is just an overrated English player?

gtfo.gif

You'll probably get slated but i totally agree with you. As far as the sending off goes, i wouldn't say the ref had no choice though.

you 3 main midfielders were dominated at home first half and couldn’t keeper the ball?

Hey arse. Agreed with what you say there but not the rest of it. Gotta admit I respect your team more than the rest in the PL, some great players. Think you need a better keeper though and another quality midfielder, you rely too much on Fabregas. Well played today though, and would rather see you lot take the title than Chavs or Utd.

Are you denying you 3 main midfielders were dominated at home first half and couldn’t keeper the ball?

Dominated by what? I don't remember Arsenal using this so called advantage to fashion a shot on target or a header cleared off the line before half time. I know we did, despite being "dominated".

The first half was very cagey, with few openings. That's what happens with two teams stuck to a 4-5-1 formation. The result was a bore. No doubt it would have continued that way after the break, with us down a man, and a 4-4-1 formation trying to protect a point, if we hadn't scored.

Dominated by what? I don't remember Arsenal using this so called advantage to fashion a shot on target or a header cleared off the line before half time. I know we did, despite being "dominated".

The first half was very cagey, with few openings. That's what happens with two teams stuck to a 4-5-1 formation. The result was a bore. No doubt it would have continued that way after the break, with us down a man, and a 4-4-1 formation trying to protect a point, if we hadn't scored.

I know I might be wrong, but from memory of seeing it I remember Arse having way more possession than us for most of the match. (gotta be at least 60% - 40%) I don't know what it is with us, but if we'd just go at each game like we do the Everton/Man Utd matches we'd probably be looking at winning titles.

Every game should be all out, each league match should mean everything to us from the off, just like it does in a derby.

I know I might be wrong, but from memory of seeing it I remember Arse having way more possession than us for most of the match. (gotta be at least 60% - 40%)

You'd be right on those figures, but without goals to show for it, dominating midfield, is not something to boast about. We've played counter-attacking football for the past 12 years. We may not have won the possession figures, but we were more prolific when we did have it. That's all you need to be.

Arsenal have won fuck all for 5 years, but I'm sure they've won most of the possession figures.

We were pretty poor in the first half. Couldn't keep the ball for more than 3-4 passes and fairly witless going forward - aimless balls for N'Gog, Jovanovic or Kuyt to chase, like dogs after a stick. Having said that, I never really expected Arsenal to score - they had a lot of the ball but did very little with it around our box.

Cole sending off looks a little harsh when you see the replay, but you can't blame the referee for taking the decision to send him off. I thought Hodgson was spot on with what he said about the incident after the game.

Second half with 10 men was enjoyable to watch. Nicely taken goal and we got the passing and movement going well in the midfield. Arsenal looked like they had the player down, rather than us. A near perfect 2nd half only blemished by Reina's uncharacteristic last minute fumble.

I thought the game would be a draw beforehand but given how well we had played in the second half, it was really disappointing not to get the win.

You'd be right on those figures, but without goals to show for it, dominating midfield, is not something to boast about. We've played counter-attacking football for the past 12 years. We may not have won the possession figures, but we were more prolific when we did have it. That's all you need to be.

Arsenal have won fuck all for 5 years, but I'm sure they've won most of the possession figures.

Agreed, I just love watching a midfield working well though, it's the core of a team and my favourite part of the pitch, apart from when players like Nando are taking the piss out of the other team in the last third. Was just replying to what Abs said really.

Midfield is probably the main reason that I love Barca, if the players there know what they're doing the whole game is dictated from that area and it breeds confidence for the rest of the team to move onwards and score. Cannot wait to see Shelvey come into his own, and it's also why I want Lucas to do well so much because somewhere in him is a genuinely good player. Might not see it with us, but either way am sure Shelvey can do it.

Edited by Red Phoenix

On the same note Shelvey and Gerrard in one of our friendlies was great to watch, hope we see it again soon! Like Zig also pointed out, and I remember this because I watched them both during the game : they at times push forward too much together and need to be more disciplined when it comes to one of them staying back and holding when the other pushes up, but it's still great to watch. Would absolutely love to see those two click, mainly because they alternate so well. They're scarily similar at times. Two Gerrards? Yes please.

The thought of Jonjo makes me buzz almost as much as Patches, and Wilson will be a beast too if he has the chances. I doubt we'll suffer from injuries that much this season with players like that if Roy gives them chances. (that's whithout even mentioning Kelly.)

Edited by Red Phoenix

You'll probably get slated but i totally agree with you. As far as the sending off goes, i wouldn't say the ref had no choice though.

He'd get slated for good reason. Yes, Aresnal had the better of the first half, nobody would deny it. But his comment is insane. How could Arsenal dominate "gerrard, masch and Cole". Cole wasn't there for 50 minutes of football, and in those 50 minutes the players he names weren't dominating anything; they were being dominated if anything.

Gerrard isn't overrated by anybody.

And who mentioned Cole being better than Messi?

Oh, and both feet weren't off the ground.

(Can't believe I dignified this rubbish with a response.)

When your back is up against the wall you want Mascherano and Kuyt for their work rate, when it isn't there are to me much better players to be had. I'm not sure what that says really. I applaud them for being players that come to the fore when you are down a man but at the same time I don't think they give enough when there are 11 men on the pitch.

I was impressed with us defensively given how little time Roy has had to work with the side, and we looked much more assured from corners which was very good to see.

Agger did well out of position but I think it was easy to tell he was exactly that.

For me if Cole goes off there are two far worse challenges, one by Wilshere and I can't remember who the other one was by that merit red cards. I'm not going to have a pop at Cole as all he's doing is trying to block the ball and it's just an unfortunate incident.

[Customary Lucas comment] sorry but he was shit and did nothing to sway the idea he is neither good enough as an attacking or defensive midfielder. If Palermo want him still then bite their hands off.

Carra and Skrtel were excellent and Gerrard and Mascherano co existed quite nicely I thought though I'd put that down more to the fact that Arsenal had NO ONE in defensive midfield with their most defensive players being Eboue (on the right) and Diaby who is more of a presence than a defensive midfielder. In bigger games I don't believe Gerrard and Mascherano will work quite as well and I'd hope Pouslon comes in and shows exactly why and Gerrard is given that role behind Torres he excelled in.

All in all, it's the first day of the season. For me there were far more pluses than minus and Jovanovic looks like a real talent as well I might add. It's what we needed, a fresh start and a new direction and for all those people that said "a new manager will put us back years", I'd say it's actually put us forward but that's another debate for another time.

Unlucky Pepe lad, not much you could do about that once you fluffed the challenge on Chamakh and it's happened to the best of them. Head up mate and no one is blaming you.

Brave performances all round, come on you red men!