You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Please explain how you go from this "Fantastic second half display. We showed fight, desire and determination. Scouse solidarity shone through. Many wools out and about the stadium but we showed them how it's done. Ngog played brilliantly. Pepe Reina 10/10. He is an absolute fucking legend. You could see the pain on his face. Torres. looks like he could be ready for first team action soon.

Good debut for Roy, we played positively when we needed to and hit them on the break when he needed to.

Koscielny is now one of the most hated cunts in the League. " To the above post in 7 minutes ?????????????????????????????????

Arsenal fan here, but what the hell did he do to be hated? I agree it may not have been a straight red, but it was stupid tackle by Cole, absolutly no need for it. Its one of those uneeded tackles that injure players and keep them out for a long time. It was wreckless tackle

• Replies 888
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the context he's clearly talking about the first half in one post and the second half in the other and I can't fault him at all myself, as I felt exactly the same about what was a hugely schizophrenic performance. Self fulfilling prophecy on the whopper line? Maybe you're sound and I'm wrong but it's got a whiff of superfan about it at the very least.

The poster who raised the point said there was 7mins between each post.

Game of two halves son.

I think maybe you are giving the poster more credit than he's due given that he posted the praise ahead of the criticism and lets face it the only thing different Ngog did in the second half was to score and he went from being shite to brilliant??.

Neither of you are listening. One post was written specifically about the first half. The other post was written about the second, and even said so.

Not sure about the uberscouse nonsense, but he's not wrong in that we went from shit to gold to an extent. You can hang me on the same charge.

Neither of you are listening. One post was written specifically about the first half. The other post was written about the second, and even said so.

Not sure about the uberscouse nonsense, but he's not wrong in that we went from shit to gold to an extent. You can hang me on the same charge.

No I understood the point you were making and would have probably agreed with you if they had been posted during the game or even as a mixed single post. They sort of came across as a rant mixed in with an OOT dig.

Arsenal fan here, but what the hell did he do to be hated? I agree it may not have been a straight red, but it was stupid tackle by Cole, absolutly no need for it. Its one of those uneeded tackles that injure players and keep them out for a long time. It was wreckless tackle

It so was'nt mate. He was trying to block the clearance down the line, nothing more nothing less. Yes he caught him, but it was never a red card in a million years. You make it sound like it was similiar to that leg breaker on Eduardo.

In my opinion Torres should be sub for the next three games, is obviously not fit and should not be relied upon to carry the goalscoring burden. Kuyt and Ngog up front.

By the way, he didn't say Ngog was shit. He said he was "isolated and getting caught offside". And he was! Had a very good second half though, I thought.

Fair do's. I didn't think Ngog played much differently in the second half than the first TBH. Worked hard in both halves and took his chance very well. We still need a back up striker though.

Fair do's. I didn't think Ngog played much differently in the second half than the first TBH. Worked hard in both halves and took his chance very well. We still need a back up striker though.

He didn't do all that much differently no, but he was isolated and he did keep getting caught offside. Second half we pushed up and gave him support and he was flying after the goal.

Roy on Arsenal, Masch and Joe.

Roy Hodgson was full of praise for the battling performance of his Liverpool players - but admitted to being left frustrated by the manner of the 1-1 draw with Arsenal at Anfield.

With the scoreline still goalless, Joe Cole was sent off on his league debut for the Reds on the stroke of half-time after a challenge on visiting centre-back Laurent Koscielny, who himself was later dismissed for a second bookable offence.

Nonetheless, David Ngog fired the hosts into an early second-half lead - but Pepe Reina's 90th-minute own goal rescued a point for the Gunners.

Hodgson told a post-match press conference: "It was a fantastic effort but points are hard to come by in the Premier League and when you get so close, you can't avoid the feeling of disappointment.

"Maybe that second-half performance deserved all three points and not just one, albeit if at half-time someone had said we'd get a 0-0 or 1-1 draw I probably would have accepted that.

"But to concede so close to the end to a rather scrappy goal was tough on us. The boys did everything they could do and it was an excellent game of football. I hope the fans enjoyed the spectacle.

"It was a wonderful goal (by Ngog). It was a good piece of pressurising between Glen Johnson and Dirk Kuyt to set him up and David took the chance superbly. We had a couple of other chances in second half as well. Both goalkeepers were called into action and there were goal-mouth incidents at both ends.

"We were playing with nine men for a short period of time towards the end after Danny (Agger) had to go off with concussion and unfortunately the game lasted just four or five minutes too long for us."

He added: "I am learning about the team all the time and I am seeing players play seriously for the first time.

"It will be a learning process for me, but the one thing I learned today is that the spirit is undimmed, the fans can expect the players to chase and fight and if we can add a bit of tactical organisation and allay that to the obvious skill in the team then who knows, we might be lucky enough to have a decent season."

Reina's uncharacteristic error was harsh on Liverpool, who had battled valiantly following Cole's sending off.

The Spaniard had earlier thwarted Arsenal with a string of top-class saves, and Hodgson had words of comfort for the custodian.

"He took it hard because he is a very serious professional who really believes in himself and the team," said the boss.

"He will be the first one not to try and apportion blame to other people, so of course he's taken it hard.

"But I thought he played well today considering he didn't have an awful lot to do - and what he did have to do came very spasmodically. His concentration was good, his kicking was excellent.

"He's had a shoulder injury and came back quicker than we thought he would, so there are an enormous number of positives. The one negative, unfortunately, was he let in a goal which in normal circumstances he would have kept out."

Hodgson admitted he was unsure whether Liverpool will lodge an appeal against Cole's dismissal, but felt the Reds' league debutant could consider himself unfortunate to have had his afternoon soured by the decision.

He said: "He is devastated. It was his debut at Liverpool and a fantastic atmosphere. He was desperate to do well, not playing at the top of his game but trying even harder to get to that level, and then suddenly he gets sent off.

"He was absolutely devastated and saddened by it all, not least because he'd put us in a difficult position. 0-0 with 10 men gives the advantage to the opposition.

"I've seen it on the video. At the time, from our position on the bench, I don't think either myself or Arsene (Wenger) had a strong opinion on the incident.

"We now have the benefit of TV replays, and those replays suggest to me he was a little bit unlucky because I don't think he actually dived to tackle the player. He actually dived in front of the ball to try and stop it being played down the line, and the player got his legs caught up with him and twisted his knee. But I was pleased to see there was no serious damage to him because he was able to play the second half.

"Joe Cole has got an unblemished record - he'd been previously never been sent off and had very few yellow cards. Everyone who has watched him play will agree he does not go in for 'blood-curdling tackles', as I heard it described by a radio reporter. The fact the player wasn't seriously injured means we might just be fortunate enough that an appeal might go in our favour.

"It will be a big loss if he is suspended. We will look at the video again and try in someway to find out from referees and experts whether we do have a case for an appeal.

"I don't want a frivolous appeal, that's for sure, but it's a bit early in the day to ask me the question if we will appeal."

Reporters were also keen to quiz Hodgson on the thinking behind his decision to hand Javier Mascherano a starting berth against the Gunners, despite the Argentina captain last month expressing a desire to leave Anfield.

However, the manager confirmed the Reds are still yet to receive any bids for the midfielder and insisted he will, therefore, continue to utilise him in the team.

Hodgson replied: "His performance didn't surprise me. He is an outstanding player and he and Gerrard were absolutely excellent in the centre of the field. He is a top quality player - one of the best at his job in the world and he showed that once again today.

"It's only speculation from the mass media, if I am brutally honest. We've had no offer for Javier Mascherano. He is playing at Liverpool and how many clubs could he move to better or on the same level? As yet, we have not received any offers from anyone.

"There are two weeks to go (in the transfer window) and you never know. Some of these clubs, for reasons best known to themselves, like to come in with offers on August 28 or 29.

"The fact is, we want to keep him here and will keep him here unless an offer comes along which is correct. By that I mean, is in keeping with his value and one we think would be wrong for us to turn down because we have said if that offer comes in we will accept it.

"But at the moment it's not there - it's not even on the horizon."

Asked whether he would consider playing Mascherano in Thursday's Europa League tie with Trabzonspor at Anfield, Hodgson said: "Of course I would play him on Thursday.

"He picked up an injury today, unfortunately. I hope it's not too serious but he's got a slight tightness in his muscle, which is why he had to come off. We hope it's not a pull but it will have to be assessed tomorrow. But why wouldn't I play him?

"He is a Liverpool player and I hope he will continue to be a Liverpool player. For me, he will always be available for selection until the day comes when he's no longer here."

Meanwhile, Hodgson reflected on his first Barclays Premier League game in charge of Liverpool and admitted he couldn't have asked for much more.

And the gaffer is confident the manner of his team's performance bodes well for the challenges that lay in wait in 2010-11.

He said: "It was a great debut. You can't ask for much better than a top team like Arsenal coming here and a full house with everyone singing. The atmosphere was fantastic.

"It was everything I expected. I thought the fans would be right behind the team and I think we gave them every reason to get behind us.

"That is very positive for the future because there are 37 tough matches to play. We all know it's going to be tough this year and every expert is saying it's going to be tougher than ever for a team to win the league, and I think we all agree that is more than likely.

"So it was good to at least show we've got the spirit to do well this season and now we have to keep working to make ourselves a better team."

He continued: "I don't think there is a better ground for atmosphere (than Anfield). There are a lot of good grounds in this country where the atmosphere is very good, but Anfield is one of the footballing temples alongside places like the San Siro, Nou Camp and Bernabeu.

"They are legendary footballing temples for the simple reason the crowds make it such exciting, exhilarating places to play."

The Arsenal Way having downtime or something?

Sort your fans out as well. Screaming 'Hoooof' after a player clearly plays a measured ball over the top of the defence makes you all look like know nothing nobheads.

Koscielny's second yellow was absolutely valid. I think if his hands and arms had been in a natural position below his waist he should have got away with it. They weren't though, were they. They were up at shoulder height and he moved the offending arm toward the ball. I don't see how the ref couldn't have given a yellow for that.

You have a cheek. Wilshire done the exact same thing (Diving in with 2 feet, Cole Dived in with 1) about 10 minutes earlier on Mascherano. Neither were a red but why the fuck was the ref not being consistent?

I thought we did well overall against a very good team.

1st half was a bit of a non event which Arsenal were the better side without really threatening.

Sending off was probably harsh but to dive in like that was silly and gave the Ref a decision to make.

Great attitude from the start of the second half and a much improved performance which possibly should have yielded another goal. Unlucky with the equalizer but overall quite a positive start with hopefully more to come.

Fair play to Mascherano he was brilliant today even though I can`t stand him and want him to fuck off pronto but credit where credit`s due.

Superb finish from ngog I really do think he`s got something about him, he just misses to many chances though. But 4 in 3 so far shows he`s doing something right. I think he`s earned himself a bit of slack from the doubters after all it`s not his fault Torres keeps getting injured playing for fucking Spain.

Koscielny's second yellow was absolutely valid. I think if his hands and arms had been in a natural position below his waist he should have got away with it. They weren't though, were they. They were up at shoulder height and he moved the offending arm toward the ball. I don't see how the ref couldn't have given a yellow for that.

This is true, he made a conscious movement imo.

Also, gutted for the avatar thing, especially in this case - not asking for the moon (but if Alan could post that it would be appreciated) but certainly should be able to retrieve select avatars, yes?.

20 minutes into the season and the "hoof" chant has gotten old. Well done.

As has the Channel 5 chant. That was in the first 5 minutes of the game.

At least Channel 5 is a recognised broadcaster. Could be worse, you could be on the "red button" on a Tuesday/Wednesday night.

Just got back from the game & the initial devastation has receded somewhat.

Random thoughts

Why were we so passive in the first half ? I can't believe that Arsenal were working hard to close us down while we couldn't be bothered.

Good to see a bench full of decent options.

The experiment with getting Cisse helping Ngog to avoid offsides may be flawed.

I was happy to see Barton sent off the other year for his Xabi challenge so can't really complain about the sending off, although from my eyrie on the Kop the Wilshere one looked a bit naughty. Having said that we are dealing with a ref who didn't think Pienaar's challenge on Masch was a red in the last derby.

Jovo looks keen but a bit 'headless chicken'.

We were excellent in the second half.

Loved Carra's rant at the bench about taking Javier off while Agger was wobbling around like he was drunk.

Somebody must have had a word in Stevie's ear about his negative attitude to his teammates as he actually applauded a couple of bad passes & nearly molested Jovanovic as he was being substituted.

The City & WBA results will determine whether this was a good result or not.

Tell you what something needs to be done with the play acting. That fella who Cole got red carded against, writhing around in agony, acting like it was a break, strapped up and stretchered off looking all very serious then 15 minutes later jogging on the pitch.

Its not on. Every time Eboue or any other of the faggots that play for Arsenal got touched they went down. Ngog got pulled for a nothing challege on Vermaelen in the first half when Vermalean under pressure thought hed chuck himself onto the ground.

Typical prem.

Jamie Carragher worries the fuck out of me. Yes he's committed, yes he's definately got the right attitude, but he's an accident waiting to happen. His lack of pace will cause us a lot of grief in the coming season, maybe time to give Agger and Skrtel a run together (not sure how match fit Aurelio is??)