You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 888
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good effort, but too much like last season. Ball retention was poor and we gave up a last minute goal. So- much of the same really- lets see what happens next week.

And red or not- that was a stupid challenge by Cole.

Doing it against Arsenal is not "much of the same", doing it against Stooke or Wolves would be.

Who is talking about shite football? Give the guy a fucking chance.

If Hodgson doesn't make us play better football in couple of years time or even by end of the season, come back and have a word then. We could have a conversation.

It's nothing to do with that though.

The problem with Rafa last season was the lack of pace & lack of running at players.

That hasn't changed at all. It's exactly the same formation, same football & same personnel as Rafa put out last season.

With a bit more of a clear head now, that was a pretty outstanding second half performance all things considered. Mascherano was immense today, and you have to respect the commitment on show from him.

Hah, just seen a replay -- whats with Wenger groping his bollocks after the Koscielny sending off? Weirdo perv. Trust the fucking French.

Anyway, with 10 and 9 men we kept up an attacking side to our game and kept them out for 40-odd minutes and on balance probably deserved to win the game. A bit of comically bad luck was the only thing between us and a fantastic 3 points, so I can't be too upset about it. We're not going to be challenging for the title, but if we can settle down and move forward with the mentality of that second half (as opposed to the first), we'll be back in the champion's league next season easily.

The problem with Rafa last season was the lack of pace & lack of running at players.

Not it wasn't. The problem was always our lack of movement and any real kind of understanding amongst the team. It's going to be the same under Roy, why wouldn't it be? It's the way all his sides have played football.

Where he can have success is if he gets the players heads right...and given how badly Carra and Gerrard need this to work, seeing as how they ousted Rafa...he's got a good chance.

That hasn't changed at all. It's exactly the same formation, same football & same personnel as Rafa put out last season.

Listen, if you want to make your mind up based on 2 preseason games and 2 so-called european ties and 1 PL game against one of the toughest opposition in the land, go ahead.

Apologies from me for not joining you.

I would rather give Roy a few months, see a fit Torres, see the new players after they settle in and then make a judgement.

I give any new player 6 months and I don't see why Roy shouldn't get the same.

Very disappointed at first for conceding like we did. It feels better now, though.

I would have settled for a point at half time so it's not too bad. Of the new boys I thought Milan made the best impression. The sending off aside, Cole looked very anonymous while on the pitch.

The most worrying thing was our first half performance, it was dire. We really need to start better when we take on Man City.

Showed good spirit in the second half. Could've been a great day, ended up decent. Now let's go out and strengthen the team with a couple of more players, build confidence and push on!

Spot on, as always Milan.

When the fixtures came out, I hoped for 5 points from the 1st three games. If we get more, great.

Get a half decent draw against City and win against West Brom at home. And by the time we play Brum, we will know exactly where we stand in terms of playing staff.

>>>

Worst form? Arsenal didn't open us up and thrash us did they? We mightn't have had lots of the ball but we defended well and played some good balls from midfield to Ngog. Over time, Ngog's runs will improve in terms of timing and he'd have been in. Not brilliant, I agree. Terrible? Not for me.

Sorry, but in the first half we shat ourselves, sat too deep, had no movement and could not pass the ball. It was fucking awful and if we had gone on to play like that in the second half and lose, any optimism in the squad would have completely evaporated. We were deep in our shell, and the fact Arsenal were woeful throughout should not blind us to that. As I said though, you could not ask for more than the second half performance. I'm not some sunshiner who can't support my team without justified criticism so I will say what I feel thanks.

Listen, if you want to make your mind up based on 2 preseason games and 2 so-called european ties and 1 PL game against one of the toughest opposition in the land, go ahead.

Apologies from me for not joining you.

I would rather give Roy a few months, see a fit Torres, see the new players after they settle in and then make a judgement.

I give any new player 6 months and I don't see why Roy shouldn't get the same.

No, the fact is we're going into another season with Torres & Gerrard being our players who can actually do something in the final third of the pitch.

We were shocking in the first half but much better in the second. For me, these aren't the games where i'll be looking for a big change from last season, it's the games where our opponents sit back and defend for their lives where our season will be decided.

We finished top of the 'big 4' mini league two years ago but never won the league. Obviously you can't afford to lose these big games but if we keep ourselves organised we'll get points in them.

I'm really hoping we'll see more imagination when playing the shite teams.

Not happy with the formation, but apart from that, I was happy today with the performance, the commitment, the enthusiasm, which wasn't there most of last season. Very happy to see the return of man-to-man marking, worked perfectly today, and defending corners with players on both posts, something I consider a fundamental part of the game. Red card was very harsh, didn't help that it was right in front of their fans putting extra pressure on the ref. It's a mistimed challenge, but a yellow at most.

I suggested playing up the Kop in the first half. While it didn't happen, as soon as we did play up the Kop, we scored inside 60 seconds. Coincidence? We were without our star forward for most of the day, and we were down to 10 men for half the game. I'm not happy with losing the 2 points, but I'm optimistic if we can keep that performance up, that we'll be competitive. Go into the Trabzonspor game now, go and win it, and take the confidence into the first visit to mancland next week.

Edited by mypost

I just have to put in a word for N'Goal, what a shift the lad put in. Never stopped running, and the right kind of runs too. He is a smart player, and very useful to have in the squad. Exactly the kind of signings we neds to bulk up the squad without breaking the bank. Hopefully our academy will be a morew reliable supply line for these kinds of players in the future.

No, the fact is we're going into another season with Torres & Gerrard being our players who can actually do something in the final third of the pitch.

I'm sure Roy is looking at some striker.

And we have bought a very good player in Joe Cole.

This is Maxi's full season who I think is a very good player in terms of ball retention and intelligent passing.

Jovanovic looks ok. Again, give him time to show he is great/shit and then make your mind up.

Overall, I agree, our squad needs more strength but hopefully when we get bought before Jan transfer window and if Roy keeps us compact and solid defensively until then, we might get couple of good players in and kick on from there.

"dave u" was his old one.

Sadly, or happily, no, it wasnt, but this thread is about the team and how we did, not me, so back to the spirit we showed to play the game we were made for.

I for one am more than happy with the game, just the red and the result fook me off a bit.

Never a red, wrong share of the points, IMHO.

Cant wait for the rest of the season, and have full "red tinted glasses" admiration for the new boss.

About time we had an old style boss back, long live the glory days.

"Eggz" if your reading fook off back to south america you wool :)

PS, I still think lucas is the weak link.

As the goal by N'Gog off of a through ball from Mascha surely proves...

What's that now? Mascherano's third assist in nearly a 100 games?

N'gog is a decent striker but he's not cut out for it when our team is defending deep like we did today, he just doesn't have the pace to worry the defenders like Torres did when he came on.

Cole's red was correct, Kocielny's was not...how is that having it in for us?

I thought Wilsheres tackle on the halfway line on Masch was worse.

Koscielny's sending off was just and fair. Nando was going to be advancing with the ball and as soon as you raise your hand above your head you're asking for trouble.

N'Gog should have been booked for the one he did only that Twatkinson isn't that good of a referee he never.

first time I've enjoyed watching us in more than six months, not neccesarily because of the quality of the football, but because it's like being on the start of a new road rather than the end of an old one.

We deserved to win the match and I was proud of the team, I think a lot will depend on Torres finding some form and staying fit. If he can be the Torres from his debut season then we're nailed on for the top 4 IMO.