You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

First, best and worst gigs?

Redder Lurtz

First: The Police- Ghost in the machine tour- Deeside leisure centre

Best: Have to choose 2. Marillion at London Astoria-Marbles Tour and Fish at The Cavern performing Misplaced childhood even if his voice wasn't as good as it once was....about 2004 both gigs

Worst: Radiohead about 2003 at MEN arena,can't even remember the album they were promoting but it was dire

first Freddie and the Dreamers, (Royalty Theatre Chester) 60's?

Best U2 and Elbow (Don Valley Stadium) last year or Bowie in the NEC Brum, ( his last tour about 7-8 years ago i think?)

Worst Arctic Monkeys (Trent FM arena Nottingham) last year

they played like they didnt care and no connection with the audience, bloody ignorant waste of time!

Edited by hold51

• 7 years later...

First - The Pogues at Cambridge Folk Festival 1985

Best - The Stone Roses at Glasgow Barrowlands December 1995

Worst - Spiritualized at Glasgow Barrowlands March 1998 (not entirely their fault, I'd taken some very bad drugs)

At a Festival

First - The Hillsborough Justice Concert. Cant remember who opened but it would have been the first time at that sort of event I saw live music. (On that scale). First proper festival was Isle Of Wight and Goldfrapp were playing as I first got to the main stage. Dunno if they were any good. 

Best - Prodigy Isle of Wight 2006. Just unreal live, the best act i've seen and they are in some pretty fucking good company. The energy was unreal and 50'000 people didn't stop dancing for nearly 2 hours. 

Worst - Radiohead Reading Festival 2009. I don't mind Radiohead but this was a real let down. First and only time i've seen them and I just didn't enjoy them. So bored that I stripped completely naked and went wandering round the crowd. 

At Their Own Gig

First - Jamiroquai in Manchester around 97/98. Hardly remember it. 

Best - Tough one this but just for what it meant i'm gonna have to say The Stone Roses at Heaton Park. Apart from the rain the whole day could not have gone any better. 

Worst - Beady Eye - Portsmouth Guildhall. They weren't arsed and neither was the crowd. I had a little argument with Paul Gallagher just before it because he is a dick. I was embarrassed for them, never seen a band just go through the motions as much as that. 

First - Iron Maiden on the Real Live One tour 1993 at the SECC. 

Best - Not really sure as I've seen one so many. The Maiden gig was brilliant but I'd maybe go with Andy Cairns of Therapy on a solo acoustic tour he did, not necessarily the best one musically but the combo of the gig and the stories and what have you between songs made it a really good night. Likewise when I saw Black at the Cluny in Newcastle. 

Worst - Megadeth at the Newcastle Academy (o2 or carling or whatever it's calling itself these days), only time I've ever seen Megadeth live and whoever was in charge of the sound should be ashamed of themselves. It was absolutely dreadful, all you could here was bass drums and the bass. You couldn't even hear Dave Mustaine talking between songs. 

First - Simple Minds in Aberdeen. In their prime.

Best - Motorhead at the Glasgow Apollo. Superb band at a superb venue. Was virtually deaf after. Got pissed after the concert and was too drunk to ride my motorbike the next morning. As i had an exam at uni let my mate take the bike with me on the back. Ran it into a van at 50 mph (i had made us late). Broke my ankle and nearly got arressted at the hospital for swearing at a copper when he ran my wheelchair into a door, "Thank fuck you weren't driving the ambulance ya fuckin arsehole" No sense of humour these people.

Worst - Now i had to think long and hard on this one. Not because i have been to many bad gigs. It's because of who it was. Haircut One Hundred.

No you did not read it wrong. Was convinced by my mates that getting a shag was virtually nailed on as there would be loads of horny girls gagging for it after the concert. With the exception of the Mums and Dads we were the oldest there and probably the only boys. So unless we were prepared to fight the dads and get arrested for Jim'll fix it sculldugery it was a complete and utter disaster.

In my defence i did not stay long.

First gig - The Stranglers in 83 or 84.  They were fucking brilliant live.

Best gig - hard to say.  Floyd in Rotterdam on the Division Bell tour, Bowie at Glasto 2000, Chemical Brothers were also excellent at the same Glasto.  Stone Roses at Wembley which was also the Manics comeback gig post Richie (John Squire - what a fucking guitarist).

Worst gig - been a jammy bastard, never been to a bad gig.  Or I've been too monged to notice.

And for a novelty, I saw Steven Seagal and his band Thunderbox at Market Harborough a few years ago.  They were actually pretty good, but Seagal had turned into such a bloated fat fuck that his head was like an oversized melon with slits for eyes.  He knows his way round a fretboard though, the fat sausage fingered cunt.

First - Kraftwerk on the Empire ( mid-70's )

Best - The Jam - Deeside Leisure Centre ( early 80's )

Worst - Sitting in the Royal Court watching Ronn Sexsmith, drinking a can of warm Scorpion lager was pretty dispiriting even with a free ticket.

Jesus, he needs to work on his stage craft!

First: Aerosmith, 'Pump' tour Birmingham NEC 1989. Technically proficient.

Best: Tough one: Flaming Lips, Leeds Met 2002(?) Their drummer had just left to join Mercury Rev, so they projected super 8 footage of him in rehearsals on the back wall while playing to a drum track. We loved them all the more for doing it and had a proper sing-along with the band to help out. Smiles all round.  

Worst: Hmmm. Junip at the Brudenell. Again, technically proficient but no banter, no acknowledgement of the crowd (a sin in my view), no atmosphere and chin--strokers as far as the eye could see. Dull, dull, dull. ETA: Primal Scream at Leeds T&C Started off a bit shit - until Bobby Gillespie got piss-potted twice and stormed off stage. They came back on and tore the roof off the place. Proper game of two halves, that.

• Upvote 1

Tough one

First

Cast - Gloucester Leisure Centre -1996

Great gig and the spark that ignited my love of gigging.

Best

Oasis - Wembley Stadium 2000

Great sets by Doves, Black Grape and then Oasis. Great day all round drinking all day and singing my lungs out in the sunshhhhiiinne. Sound was great too. Got home about 5am the next morning.

Worst

Kasabian - Reading Festival 2017

Sound was flat, performance was ok. Me and my mates all thought it was very underwhelming. The band didn’t play that bad just overall it didn’t have anything to it and was uninspiring as fuck.

• Upvote 1

First - Frankie Goes to Hollywood - Royal Court Xmas 84. I was 13. Seemed boss at the time, but in hindsight they were probably miming to backing tapes.

Best - Can't split three, either First Hillsborough benefit gig, Royal Court 1989. Big Audio Dynamite, The La's and The Mission. Think Wylie turned up as well. Great gig, shame about the circumstances of it.

Or U2 early on in the Zoo TV tour in Kiel, Germany 1992. Was up near the front in an indoor gig and i think i lost my own body weight in sweat. Brilliant performance, though.

Finally, Radiohead at the MEN arena in 1997 on the OK Computer tour, me and my mate had a pill beforehand and it was just an absolutely joyous noise the band created. 

Worst - Got to see Coldplay and Elbow at the Reebok for free in about 2005, a mate of a mate couldn't go so i went along instead. Insipid doesn't even begin to describe it. They ended with Fix You and did it twice as they were filming a video for it. Elbow were godawful as well. There must have been more bad or disappointing gigs but i'm assuming my mind has blanked them out. 

• Upvote 2

First was The Pogues at Castlebar in 1988.

Best was The Felice Brothers at Whelans in 09, amazing show.

Worst was probably The Verve in 1998 at The Point. Hood up, hardly spoke to the crowd.

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

First - Stereophonics at the MEN. Sat next to Sammy Rogers from Brookside. Her and her fella just sat there and she had a face like a slapped arse all night. Decent gig.

Best - Stereophonics again, this time at the Royal Court 2001. Small gig, playing songs from their upcoming album. Was properly intimate and was played 95% acoustically. This is all before they thought they were brilliant and started making shit music. Probably helped that the next morning I was off to Cardiff cup final and moving to Australia for two years a couple of days after that.

Worst - Toss up between The Kaiser Chiefs and The Thrills. A girl I worked with had tickets for Arcade Fire and Kaisers but Arcade changed their date that clashed so asked my missus if we fancied the Kaiser ones. Never a fan myself but it was a free gig. They were playing indoors at Aintree. It was painful. They were that bad people were acting like they were listening to the radio, just talking amongst themselves through the songs. Not a single person was drawn in by the performance.

The Thrills made about two playable songs, really commercial group, Irish fellows. My ex bought me tickets for my birthday but it clashed with a match at Anfield. I really didn't want to go to the gig at all plus we really weren't getting on and a split had been on the cards for a couple of months, but she drove up on the day as promised. Couple of her mates turned up and they went and stood near the stage and I stood at the bar at the back of the O2 academy getting pissed on my own and keeping myself updated with the score at Anfield. As soon as the band got on stage and the lead singer shouted in his exaggerated Irish accent "We are The Trills, and this is what we fucking do!" before 'belting' out some shitty folk number I knew it was destined for shitness. The gig was shit, Liverpool drew 0-0 but would have had an infinitely better time there, me and her slept in separate rooms that night and we split before the end of the week. Lovely stuff.

First - Half man half biscuit at The Haigh in Maryland Street (the Liverpool Polytechnic student's union). Can't remember much, was drinking snakebite.

Best - Carter USM at Liverpool Uni student's union in 1991. Rammed to the rafters, was probably against every health and safety rule going, but the atmosphere and noise was incredible. My feet hardly touched the floor for two hours.

Worst - Bjorn Again (what was I thinking/drinking/smoking????)

Notable shoutout to Pete Wylie outside the Ataturk in 2005, more for the occasion I suppose.

First: Laurent Garnier in the dive nightclub I worked in, in 1997 as a wide-eyed 15 year old. Sublime, tempted to make it my best, but the fact I didn't actually pay to go rules it out.

Best: Jay-z and Kanye, Watch The Throne Tour, 02 Dublin, 2012. Went as a favour to a mate, liked Jay, not arsed about Kanye. Fuck me, what a show. Mindblowing.

Worst: Robert Miles (he of Children fame). Was a real coup for the club to get him as he very seldom played over these waters much. He refused to acknowledge the tunes he was known for, and played beatless ambient psy trance for two hours to an empty room at £15 a head.