You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Poor poor piece of business. Shocking waste of money, for a club which needs to be as diligent with whatever money is available. Nearly £7m used on 2 players who imo will not improve the squad but are highly questionable on the value they will bring, and not taking into account, if needed at all.

Roy still seems to be in Fulham mode. Tbh, this would have been a piss poor piece of business even for Fulham.

Would not surprise me if we come up short by a couple of Million on a high value target and lose out because of it. Then start the whole 'not enough money available' argument again. Really is a revolving circus with our transfer policy, and we don't seem to learn from it. Whilst our European counterparts seem to be a lot less averse to tapping into existing resources from their reserves or academies to build their squads.

200px-Brad_Jones.jpg

He isn't English!

Fuckin hell Roy. You've impressed me so far but you need your head testing on this one. The lad is fuckin shite, even as a back up. You're signing a player for Liverpool now not fuckin Fulham. Gulacsi or any one of our other 18 youth keepers (Bouzanis, Hansen etc) could have provided adequate cover.

We can't be that desperate for another home grown player though Shirley?

I'd rather we signed someone like Carlo Nash or Richard Wright on a free if we're that desperate for someone else to fill this quota.

There is absolutely nothing positive about this signing.

We've signed around 20 keepers in the last 6 years or so and spent a small fortune on them. At least sell a few first.

A truly atrocious piece of business. I'm really, really disappointed about this to be honest. Surely we have 8 "homegrown" players already anyway? Carra, Gerrard, Cole, Johnson, Kelly, Shelvey, Spearing, Wilson. You could even throw in Darby and Amoo. I would rather have ANY of them in our squad for the season than spend £2+ million on a completely shit goalkeeper from Middlebrough.

We can't be that desperate for another home grown player though Shirley?

I'd rather we signed someone like Carlo Nash or Richard Wright on a free if we're that desperate for someone else to fill this quota.

There is absolutely nothing positive about this signing.

We've signed around 20 keepers in the last 6 years or so and spent a small fortune on them. At least sell a few first.

Stunned by this myself Carlo Nash or especially Richard Wright brilliant call if you think about it

Fucking shite signing for a club where transfer funds are extremely limited.

He might be the worst goalkeeper I have ever seen play in the top divisioin. A fucking joke of a player and I bet he can't believe his luck that Liverpool are going have him on the payroll.

Hodgson is just chasing his Fulham targets it seems.

They dont qualify as homegrown. Jones does.

I don't think we need to fill this though. I think it's more the fact we can only have a maximum of 17 who aren't classed as homegrown. Given the number of young lads we've got that are under 21 so don't actually count I wouldn't be too worried if we didn't submit a full 25.

They are U21 so it doesn't matter.

I just checked the rule and doesn't it say that they have to have been at the club for three years between 16-21? Surely that means they can be 19 or 20 and still be eligible? This rule is a fucking mess. I mean, why is there a lower limit? Is a player not "homegrown" if he's been at the club since he was 14, is now 17 or 18, and is good enough to be in your squad? What a load of fucking shit.

A good mate of mine is from Middlesbrough and supports them. He does not have fullsome praise for Brad Jones.

I'm yet to see the merit of signing him, unless we sell Cavalieri and if that thing happens that I won't say for fear of jinxing something, we play Gulasci instead and just have Jones in the squad to make up the numbers.

I just checked the rule and doesn't it say that they have to have been at the club for three years between 16-21? Surely that means they can be 19 or 20 and still be eligible? This rule is a fucking mess. I mean, why is there a lower limit? Is a player not "homegrown" if he's been at the club since he was 14, is now 17 or 18, and is good enough to be in your squad? What a load of fucking shit.

Its rules written by lawyers!!

You only have to name players over 21. Players under 21 are freebies as far as the quota is concerned and any number can be used. Hence, whether he's homegrown or not doesn't matter until he's 21.