You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't start threads again.

I have deleted cookies, hasn't helped.

Yeah Agt P said the same thing yesterday.

I think most of the problems are related to this search index rebuild. When it's completed, a lot of issues should go away, and those that don't can be dealt with easier. Just have to bear with me for a day or two.

And Hammy has waited this long for his button, so another few days/weeks/months won't kill him!

It tends to breakdown on my lunch hour, 1-2pm. Still, on some days, like today, every hour is a lunch hour so it's all cool.

I've worked that out I think. It takes around 24hrs after reboot before it runs out of memory again. So if it crashes at lunchtime and is rebooted, it will go again roughly the same time.

I rebooted yesterday morning, and today around 22hrs later it ran out of memory and I rebooted again. I've had the cron jobs switched off this week, going to put them back on and see if it helps. One of the cron jobs is set to clear the post cache every six hours, so that might help the memory issue.

Might also go back to doing the nightly reboots too for the time being. All of this should prevent any downtime during the day.

I've taken it down a couple of times to reboot, because some of the repairs I'd been running had finished, and I wanted to restart everything to make sure all the changes took effect. There's still some other things need altering, and they will require a reboot too, but I won't do that until later tonight when it's quiet.

Shouldn't be any problems now until after midnight, as I'm not doing any more reboots.

Either we need new forum software if vB is gobbling up resources, or a new server.

I started out on a shared server but now need a £180pm ds to keep my forum up.

I've put a request in on the vb forum for a server optimisation. Basically I've given them all kinds of stats and settings, and they tell me if anything needs configuring differently.

I've also modified some of the search functions, and switched stats off on the homepage as that was recommended. Do you have sphinx set up on your forum Steve? I'm looking at doing that next week, as I'm sure that searching is a big cause of the problem with memory usage.

I'm paying in excess of £200pm already, but the next step might be to get paid support on the server, which I don't really want to do as they only give you so many support hours, before they charge extra (and they quoted me $100 an hour!!)

I've put a request in on the vb forum for a server optimisation. Basically I've given them all kinds of stats and settings, and they tell me if anything needs configuring differently.

Not good times at vB. 4.x not been well received and the company has changed hands to one more profit-oriented. 3.8 has now reached end-of-life and will receive only the odd update henceforth.

I left a few months ago and went to ipb (YNWA's software).

Do you have sphinx set up on your forum Steve?

No, just out of the box mysql 5.4. Have no load problems.

I'm paying in excess of £200pm already, but the next step might be to get paid support on the server

Dave, I would talk to a couple of other hosts; give them your traffic figures and explain what's happening. Don't always beleive reseller tech support as sometimes they're incompetent or can't be arsed - certainly experienced this.

I spoke to a few at Hosting forum for all things web, server, vps and colocation and this host seem to be well regarded: https://www.register1.net/

I've had the cron jobs switched off this week

Never did I think I'd live to see the day when David Mary Usher typed something like that and nearly knew what it meant.

I'm staggered. Like a drunk man being clobbered by Joe Frazier.

I preferred him when he had that homely air of neglect about him surrounding all things technical.

Sad days.

Would it be possible to add Twitter to the Instant Messaging Links in a users account as well as Yahoo, MSN, Skype and and AIM?

I'd imagine so. I assume it ran ok today during the game? It's been running very well since I made some changes on Friday night. Hasn't crashed once since then, touch wood. It crashed three times on Friday and at least once every other day since the upgrade, but it's doing much better now. Hopefully it will stay that way.

If it does, i might get hammy his button. Obviously stouffs request gets dealt with first, because he's stouff.

Sig test. Just checking if the sig appears with the posts after you've changed it like on some other forums, if not it's gone again. Not really bothered about my own, just letting you know incase.

edit : yup, changing sig only gives the changes once another post has been made after changing it. Something to point out to others if they're wondering in future. Hence the sig test threads on other forums, etc.