You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Kenny Huang linked to Liverpool takeover

Wor Horse

Remember when all the talk was of DIC? Wasn't Hicks stance then, 'My decision'? I remember something about him querying Gilletts ability to sell without his consent.

So why are they not blocking this sale?

Why are they not releasing a statement, refusing to negotiate with any bids that do not meet their price?

Because when they defaulted on their loan to RBS they lost their power of veto.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From FT.

China’s CIC denies interest in Liverpool FC

By Jamil Anderlini in Beijing and Justine Lau in Hong Kong

Published: August 5 2010 14:21 | Last updated: August 5 2010 14:21

Chinese fans may lament the low calibre of their domestic men’s football teams, but that does not mean the Chinese government would consider buying debt-laden Liverpool Football Club.

A spokesperson for China Investment Corp, the country’s main sovereign wealth fund, told the Financial Times on Thursday they had never heard of a plan to buy Liverpool or of Kenneth Huang, the man widely reported to be fronting a Chinese bid to buy the English Premier League club.

UK media have reported that Mr Huang, owner of a small sports marketing company with an office in Beijing, is bidding for the club with backing from CIC.

But Mr Huang himself issued a statement on Wednesday night saying that although he has registered interest in investing in Liverpool, he has not made a formal bid.

“There has been much speculation and commentary from a wide array of people, many of whom have little knowledge of the facts,” Mr Huang said.

A person who has worked closely with CIC said there was “no way” the fund would get involved in such a high-profile, symbolic and potentially risky deal.

“Next they’ll say CIC is going to buy Playboy,” this person said.

A person close to Mr Huang told the Financial Times on Monday that his bid was backed by a “sovereign wealth fund from the Far East” but declined to name the fund.

There had been no suggestion internally at Liverpool that CIC was involved in Mr Huang’s bid, another person close to the situation said.

Portrayed in the UK press as a Chinese billionaire tycoon, Mr Huang runs QSL Sports Limited, a sports marketing company that is trying to develop a new basketball league in China and promote Little League (youth) baseball in a country where most people know nothing about the sport.

QSL’s website says the company is based out of Hong Kong and located at a prestigious address. However, when the Financial Times visited the office there was no sign of QSL and the management company of the building said no company by that name rented an office there.

A person who answered the phone at QSL in Hong Kong at first said the company was still at the address listed on the website, but when told that the management company of the building had denied this, then said the company had moved and its new address was a secret.

At QSL’s small office in central Beijing, company employees were still unpacking boxes having recently moved from a much smaller office. A staff member said the company employed around 15 people in Beijing but he had not heard about a plan to buy Liverpool FC.

After repeated questions to Mr Huang’s spokeswoman, the office addresses were removed from QSL’s website on Thursday afternoon.

An official biography of Mr Huang says he is an investor in a Chinese basketball team and in 1988 became the first Chinese college graduate from mainland China to work at the New York Stock Exchange, where he “started his career in public relations”.

He also founded an investment company called Rocket Capital with Leslie Alexander, owner of the Houston Rockets basketball team, and has made a number of investments in Chinese companies. Mr Huang’s spokeswoman could not confirm whether he was still involved with Rocket Capital.

Comment From Dave Dave: ]

How confident are you that CIC are behind the bid, another boradsheet is reporting that Kenny Huang PR agency has released a statemnt that CIC are not behind the bid.

Tony Barrett:

Hello Dave, to be fair the line about CIC wasn't mine so I can't be 100% sure of anything. The story was written by Helen Power, our business reporter who has unbelievable contacts in the financial world, and Tony Evans, who broke the original story about the interest from Mr Huang. I wouldn't hesitate in backing their judgement on this because they are about as close to the issue as it is possible to be. But there may be some smoke and mirrors to come simply because this is such a complex situation and maybe we won't have conclusive confirmation about who is and isn't involved in the bid until it is or isn't accepted.

Thursday August 5, 2010 14:58

That is why Barry is saying C&A have not much to lose if they hang on.

Hang on to what though? If a court has said every business is fair game to the creditors, then they lose the lot. Are RBS going to want to see their £257m gone in a bankruptcy hearing? No, so they will either push through a sale, or sell the debt on to the likes of Heung. Of course it's not as simple as that, but, for me, we have certainly moved on from the case of there is nothing at all to suggest a sale might happen at some point, which is what Barry fears. There is plenty to suggest we are nearer to getting rid of the yanks then at any other point.

Spot on Barry.

It is not about being negative, it is simply about being realistic. We have been bitten enough times in the past. We keep hearing stories on how desperate the owners are, how much RBS wants their money back, how much power Broughton has etc. But time and time again, we have got kicked in the teeth. Time and time again the two cunts have proved they can make room to wheel and deal.And time and time again we have seen RBS fuck things up by keep giving them time.

And we don't even know much about any of the bidders. Yet.

So don't believe it. Surely you can't begrude those that do believe it.

Comment From Tony Tony: ]

Do you think James Milner is a possibilty?

Tony Barrett:

You would certainly hope not at the price Aston Villa are quoting. If Liverpool went down the Manchester City route of buying mediocre players at vastly inflated prices it would be almost as depressing as having no transfer funds at all.

Thursday August 5, 2010 15:04

Comment From PeterPeter: ]

Hi Tony, when do you think we will see a completed take over announced?

Tony Barrett:

Hello Peter, I keep hearing different things. Someone said to me earlier on today that Huang's bid is now "unstoppable" and could be complete within a week. Someone else said I should stand by my phone - whatever that means - because it could happen any day. The only thing that is clear is that Huang's bid has momentum.

Thursday August 5, 2010 15:05

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Comment From PeterPeter: ]

Hi Tony, when do you think we will see a completed take over announced?

Tony Barrett:

Hello Peter, I keep hearing different things. Someone said to me earlier on today that Huang's bid is now "unstoppable" and could be complete within a week. Someone else said I should stand by my phone - whatever that means - because it could happen any day. The only thing that is clear is that Huang's bid has momentum.

Thursday August 5, 2010 15:05

Well, that's positive.

There's a thread on RAWK asking if people have problems with the oppressive dictatorial regime in China - but nobody is allowed to post on it.

That is ace.

So it isn't CIC? Can we stop with all the silliness regarding unlimited funds now please.

Comment From Tony Tony: ]

Do you think James Milner is a possibilty?

Tony Barrett:

You would certainly hope not at the price Aston Villa are quoting. If Liverpool went down the Manchester City route of buying mediocre players at vastly inflated prices it would be almost as depressing as having no transfer funds at all.

Very well put, exactly how I feel about the whole thing.

Yaya Toure on £200,000 per week sums up everything that's wrong with the sport. I doubt any kid has ever even pretented to be him in a schoolyard kickaround.

That is ace.

So it isn't CIC? Can we stop with all the silliness regarding unlimited funds now please.

Just because one person close to CIC according to a paper says it's not CIC doesn't make it not CIC, if you know what I mean.

Very well put, exactly how I feel about the whole thing.

Yaya Toure on £200,000 per week sums up everything that's wrong with the sport. I doubt any kid has ever even pretented to be him in a schoolyard kickaround.

The true measure of any footballer.

Guest davelfc

Tony Barrett:

I appreciate your cynicism, it's fully justified given everything that's happened over the last few years. This situation is different, though. Huang's interest is bona fide, as confirmed by the banks involved and Huang himself, and talks are currently taking place at a very high level. We have never been at this stage before.

Guest davelfc

Do Hicks and Gillett have any power to block this takeover if RBS and BarCap recommend the bid and Purslow, Brougton and Ayre vote it in.

Thursday August 5, 2010 15:13 Ben

15:15

Tony Barrett:

Great question Ben and it's one that many journalists have been trying to get answered with no real success. Martin Broughton has said they can't block a sale but I think everyone has seen Hicks and Gillett wriggle off enough hooks to be cynical of anything involving them. It will be interesting to see what happens if and when a bid is accepted that's for sure.

I swear that I will kick seven kinds of shite out of that fucking, Ollie Beak looking, bitterness drooling, bluenosed twat, Tom Cannon if I ever meet him.

He is the embodiment of the bullshit, know nothing but pronounce on everything, 'experts' that Sky go to for a negative spin on a particular story. "The Syrian bid looks like the best for the club", What fucking bid? No cunt's made a bid yet. Then "Why would China want to promote its sporting profile? It's just spent thirty billion on the Olympics". Because this is football and they want to develop a greater interest in the world's most popular game in their country, that's why, you utter twat.

I'm just going to kick his ribcage through his fucking lungs. I'm off to put my CAT bats on and I'm heading down to Anfield.......... after my tea.