You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Kenny Huang linked to Liverpool takeover

Wor Horse

Purslow and Broughton are dealing with businessmen who know that the likely purchase price of the club will fall week on week until October. There's a game of brinkmanship going on until one party makes a formal offer, at which point any other offers will be flushed out and the auction proper begins. This will definitely happen before the end of Nov, and will mean we will have money in the coffers for the next transfer window.

Broughton has at least identified where the interest is - at least two or three genuinely interested parties. He has been in dialogue with these parties, but while they have declared a real interest and have obviously discussed numbers, they are not prepared to make a formal offer while the price is certain to drop further. What is the other option? throw his toys out of the pram and say the sale is over because no-one is prepared to commit to a formal offer yet?

Erm multitask.

I'm sure if someone offered £30m for Mascherano him & Purslow would find the time to sort the deal out.

Also I don't know how you arrived at the conclusion I wanted Broughton to "throw his toys out the pram."

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ask questions about the team, the squad. Focus on that, we are one day away from our first league match and we still have no cover for Torres or a left back or left winger as Steve pointed out.

If the takeover speculation wasn't happening would you or anyone find that acceptable?

I can see why you would have concerns under normal circumstances, but these are hardly normal circumstances are they ?

Maybe we're so close to selling the club that we just cant spend any money until it's sold. As has been said, chances are, our pot is empty. In fact the pot is empty.

Time is running out if we want to use this window as the PL need 10 days notice of a takeover

If i were the chinese i'd say to LFC agree by Monday or it's off then i'd wait until RBS take us over

The yanks are like Gordon Brown, they won't go quietly and they'll gladly fuck us over to make a point

Time is running out if we want to use this window as the PL need 10 days notice of a takeover

If i were the chinese i'd say to LFC agree by Monday or it's off then i'd wait until RBS take us over

Sounds really easy doesn't it. But try doing that buying a house and you'll find they've sold it to someone else a couple of weeks later ...

The yanks are like Gordon Brown, they won't go quietly and they'll gladly fuck us over to make a point

Assuming of course that the Chinese bid is all it's cracked up to be. The last thing we want is having to make a snap decision because someones holding us to ransom.

I can see why you would have concerns under normal circumstances' date=' but these are hardly normal circumstances are they ?

Maybe we're so close to selling the club that we just cant spend any money until it's sold. As has been said, chances are, our pot is empty. In fact the pot is empty.[/quote']

The pot was empty last season, as well, yet people went on and on about the "concerns under normal circumstances". We had no dough then, we have no dough now, and finally people start understanding that it has an effect on the football side of the club.

The pot was empty last season, as well, yet people went on and on about the "concerns under normal circumstances". We had no dough then, we have no dough now, and finally people start understanding that it has an effect on the football side of the club.
Not me. I did go on about it last season because I didn't link the money issue to the dog shit performances of last season. I just put it down to a poor team management by Rafa.

Of course it has an effect in the long term, but it doesn't excuse absolute shite on the pitch, which is much worse than the sum of the teams parts.

We don't have a yardstick for Hodgson in terms of team performances yet, so I think you will have to wait a while before any assessment can be made of his performance as a coach. It's also a little early to call his performance in the transfer market, given that there are still two weeks of transfer window left.

Certainly if at the end of that time he has spent what he has poorly there will be justifiable criticism. Just as if the team plays much worse than they are capable of for a few months there will be justifiable criticism. No-one can expect to do a poor job and not get criticised.

Dicko, it may have escaped your attention, but we are paying £2.5M a week to RBS for the privilege of existing. Clearly the football is completely secondary to sorting out our finances which can only happen with new owners. We can't survive until the end of the season if we don't sell the club. So although it's unsatisfactory not being able to buy the players we need, it's hardly the end of the world if we have to go into the season with the current squad. The end of the world will come soon enough if the club isn't sold.

Besides which, have you considered that there may be two sets of targets lined up; one set for the current finances and the other after a buyout? Perhaps we are waiting to see what we will have to spend.

Certainly there's still time before the end of the window to bring a couple in.

To be fair the club are not paying £2.5 million per week out of cash flow for these charges.

TB's report indicated it was against the owners company (not LFC) and inferred it was being rolled up to be paid out of the sale proceeds, if it gets paid at all.

I think that these charges are, to use a technical term, "fuck off we don't want your business" levels of charges, designed simply to get rid of the owners.

I can't see how it is in RBS's interests given they want these owners out to levy more charges and increase the sale / debt break even point. All this will do, if RBS insist on payment of these penalty charges, is make the club less attractive to potential buyers and lessen the chance of a sale. RBS clearly want a sale and want to work with new owners. They ain't going to jepordise that.

I am convinced that if push came to shove with a serious credible buyer that these charges will either be taken out of the sales price for the club and used as an insurance policy against the owners if they try to play dirty and block the sale.

The statement was significant for me becuase for the second or third time now, on the record, the board stated that the criteria for selecting new owners revolved around finding the right owners to take the club forward. The statement & Broughton's previous commnets have never mentioned that it's all about getting the best price.

It's easy to think that this is simply telling us what we want to hear but given the media attention there will be after the club is sold when no doubt details of all other bids will come out i can't see how the board can keep saying this if there was not some modicum of truth to it. The board will have to justify how the winning bid is the best one for the club.

Sure the bid will have to be good financially but it leads me to think that maybe just maybe Purslow, Broughton et al are thinking about looking after the club's future after all.

So whilst i will reserve judgment until the club is sold and we know full details of the winning, and other bidders, if Broughton delivers on what he says (and he has so far) i for one will be buying that man a cigar.

Just found an interview by Gerrard on website I know it may be nothing but for a player that was so down last season and fed up with the team etc he seems very very positive about the future. Maybe reference to us being taken over in the near future.

Steven Gerrard is confident Liverpool will rise to the challenge of re-establishing themselves as a Barclays Premier League force and admits he can't wait to lead the Reds out against Arsenal amidst a fresh wave of optimism.

Related Links

Gerrard Profile

Gerrard Shirt

Gerrard Mobile

The skipper feels there is a real buzz reverberating around Melwood at the moment and reckons the 2010-11 campaign will provide the players with the perfect opportunity to show their true worth.

"When you are captain of Liverpool, every single day you have got something to prove," said Gerrard.

"When you have a new manager and new players coming in, the demands on you to prove yourself intensify.

"Jamie Carragher, Pepe Reina and Fernando Torres are the same. At Liverpool Football Club there is no time to relax. You are expected to win every game you play and perform to your maximum every time you pull on a Red shirt.

"There is lots to be positive about and you have got to give credit to the people high up in the club. They have made a lot of changes to the staff and the players and sometimes that just needs to happen.

"When things like that happen, you get a freshness around the place and that leads to people having smiles on their faces. I'm just glad I'm going into the season feeling positive and with confidence that we can be successful.

"Everybody is going into training feeling good and the fans are looking forward to it."

During the World Cup Gerrard refused to discuss club issues as he looked to focus on England's bid for glory.

However, he continued to watch developments at Anfield with interest and is excited by the prospect of getting the Roy Hodgson era off to a solid start.

"It was just a question of forgetting about Liverpool for the time being, having a holiday, sitting back and watching what happened," explained Gerrard.

"I kept in touch with (Managing Director) Christian Purslow throughout the summer and to be fair he has backed up his words with actions.

"Now I've got three years left on my contract and I'm looking forward to the challenge.

"And what a game to start off with. It is a tough but it if we can win, we can put a strong early statement out. We are not going to be at our peak straight away but, at the same time, Arsenal will know they have been in a game."

All the while no one's talking about the fact that we've signed two of the previous manager targets, a 30 year old danish midfielder, a free transfer for a man who's knee has been completely rebuilt on a four year contract and a reserve keeper.

While spending just £10m.

One day before our first match and we probably need a left back as the club seem determined to get rid of Insua and a new striker.

One wonders if people would find this acceptable if there was no takeover news?

Did you expect anything else?

We are skint, keep the current owners and we will head towards bankrupcy. Whilst I am not overly keen on the signings made, they may or may not turn out to be good.

Let's try and play some decent football, try and punch above our weight and see where it gets us. Apart from that, anything that happens on the pitch is irrelevant in the big scheme of things. This takeover, if it comes, will determine the life and death of this club. Nothing else matters.

Do you think anyone making the decisions is even thinking about that. There will be no spending by any takeover this month.

i think we all need to relax on the striker and left back issue. i truly believe those deals are already sorted out for figeuroa and a striker whether it be crouch or remy.

all things hinge on the masch deal and money. i'm sure we've communicated that to the other clubs as well. much like masch to inter depended on balotelli moving. now they have, that money makes its way to us we buy our other two players. i remember xabi and lil luis signed right late as well, so end of the window deffo kicks off some business.

i think what needs figuring out is just what the net spend is this window and i gather if its added all up that its we've made money again when you consider son jose, dossena, voronin etc leaving last window and what we've spent

All this about the Premier League being informed 10 days prior is new to me. My memory is a bit hazy, but I remember when Man City were sold to the Abu Dhabi group, it seemed only a couple of days before the transfer window ended. They still made moves for Berbatov and Robinho, and got one of them.

All this about the Premier League being informed 10 days prior is new to me. My memory is a bit hazy, but I remember when Man City were sold to the Abu Dhabi group, it seemed only a couple of days before the transfer window ended. They still made moves for Berbatov and Robinho, and got one of them.

Its only at to coming in.

Of course it has an effect in the long term, but it doesn't excuse absolute shite on the pitch, which is much worse than the sum of the teams parts.

We don't have a yardstick for Hodgson in terms of team performances yet, so I think you will have to wait a while before any assessment can be made of his performance as a coach. It's also a little early to call his performance in the transfer market, given that there are still two weeks of transfer window left.

Certainly if at the end of that time he has spent what he has poorly there will be justifiable criticism. Just as if the team plays much worse than they are capable of for a few months there will be justifiable criticism. No-one can expect to do a poor job and not get criticised.

Zig it's a football forum, people are going to discuss football today and whats happened so far, not shut the fuck up (as much as I wish some would, and I'm sure plenty would wish I did) and wait a fortnight before commenting.

Of course the finances are fucked, and I agree there will be two entirely diffrent lists of transfer targets.

The part that scares the shit out of me is that in the worse case scenario we are going to waste over £6m on a clogger and a reserve keeper, neither of which we need.

Assuming of course that the Chinese bid is all it's cracked up to be. The last thing we want is having to make a snap decision because someones holding us to ransom.

They actually havent made a bid yet or provided broughton with proof of funds and probably both.

If you're trying to associate the shite we saw on the pitch with the lack of funds, I'd suggest you stop right there. If we have the same players available this year, we'll perform much better. No doubt about it. We saw game after game of risible performances last year.

If you're announcing that more money available will allow us to purchase more and potentially better players, then I think you may just have struck upon something there, so thanks very much for bringing that to our attention. Just don't confuse that with the abject performances we witnessed last year. That was largely down to tactics, motivation, and wilfully bizarre team selection.

Some very dillusional people on here.

Its the start of the new football season today and normally I cant wait for it to start. This is the first time in my life I dont give a shit.

Obvioulsy tomorrow will be different but defeat wouldnt hurt nearly as much as it normally does.

Zig it's a football forum, people are going to discuss football today and whats happened so far, not shut the fuck up (as much as I wish some would, and I'm sure plenty would wish I did) and wait a fortnight before commenting.

I haven't asked anyone to shut the fuck up, but let's discuss the football: played two, won two, three goals and two clean sheets. Not bad eh?

If you're trying to associate the shite we saw on the pitch with the lack of funds, I'd suggest you stop right there. If we have the same players available this year, we'll perform much better. No doubt about it. We saw game after game of risible performances last year.

If you're announcing that more money available will allow us to purchase more and potentially better players, then I think you may just have struck upon something there, so thanks very much for bringing that to our attention. Just don't confuse that with the abject performances we witnessed last year. That was largely down to tactics, motivation, and wilfully bizarre team selection.

Agreed but you cant totally dismiss the impact of what happened off the pitch. The owners pulling the transfer rug from underneath Rafa just before the start of the season really set the tone for the whole season but Rafa lost it as well.