You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Kenny Huang linked to Liverpool takeover

Wor Horse

Guest davelfc
I don't think they do, I think that is bollocks. Flushed them out? None of the mystery bidders have said a dickie bird.

Well the club has admitted to 6 bids, you don't need dna samples from each of them do you? It's exactly six more than we knew about earlier so 'flushed them out' would be an expression I would use. Even if they do not exist it's clearly go them in a state of panic.

I do not know if this attempt by Huang will work but it's interesting all the same.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

George Gillett and Tom Hicks would walk away from Liverpool without a profit if Chinese tycoon Kenneth Huang’s takeover of the club is successful, Goal.com UK understands.

Huang, who has had no contact with the Americans or the Anfield board, values the club at around £320 million to £325m, well short of the £800m asking price that Hicks has consistently quoted.

The businessman, who is backed by one of the largest sovereign wealth funds in the Far East, has offered to buy Liverpool’s £237m debt from the club’s main creditors, the Royal Bank of Scotland, in an attempt to end Hicks and Gillett’s control of the Premier League club.

Huang’s current offer would see the Americans fail to make any profit from the club they bought for £218.9m three years ago in a leveraged buyout. However, they still expect to get £600m for Liverpool now.

Nevertheless, Wall Street broker Huang, whose backers are understood to have been in talks with RBS for several weeks, believes that pressure from the bank could force Hicks and Gilletts to sell up. Liverpool insiders believe that the co-owners are using the reported interest from former Syria international Yahya Kirdi to buy themselves time to find an investor who will meet their valuation.

Huang’s bid guarantees to clear Liverpool’s debt, invest in the playing squad and resurrect the plans to build a new stadium.

Goal.com UK understands that the tycoon wants to gain control of the club quick enough to allow manager Roy Hodgson “serious funds” to buy players in the current transfer window, which closes in 29 days.

New Anfield | Kenneth Huang wants to resurrect Liverpool's new stadium plans

There will be no further negotiations on Monday but talks are set to continue over the next few days and could be wrapped up by the end of the week.

“From a business point of view, there isn’t a deadline,” one source close to the deal told Goal.com UK.

“From a football aspect, there is. The transfer window allows you to buy business assets twice a year. We would like to be in a position where we could buy as soon as possible.”

It is understood that the approach from Huang was made not to the club, but RBS.

“RBS are the ace in the pack. They have the power to effect change,” explained the source. “They have more leverage over Gillett and Hicks than anyone else. Our approach is based on getting hold of Liverpool Football Club and investing in Liverpool Football Club.”

The exact amount of the potential transfer pot available to Hodgson is not known at this stage but it is understood there will be significant investment from Huang in the playing squad and infrastructure of the club.

“We are not talking about a guy that buys a club and nothing happens,” added the source. “We are talking about a guy who will invest serious funds in the playing squad and definitely invest in the stadium. This guy is serious but there are a lot of hoops to go through before any deal is complete. If it doesn’t succeed, it is because other people don’t want to do a deal.”

Liverpool supporters who initially welcomed Gillett and Hicks to the club will be understandably sceptical about the motives of any potential buyout.

But sources close to Huang, who appears well connected in the worlds of Chinese government and sporting circles, insist there is no vague hint of colourfulness in his business record and he would be a 'fit and proper' owner as stipulated by the Premier League.

Gillett and Hicks would walk away without a profit if Kenneth Huang's Liverpool buy-out succeeds - Goal.com

goal.com so not a good source but interesting none the less

Premier League - Bank denies Liverpool sale approach

Reuters - Mon, 02 Aug 11:07:00 2010

Liverpool's major creditor, Royal Bank of Scotland, have denied they were in talks with a Chinese businessman over the sale of the Premier League club.

But a source close to Chinese businessman Kenny Huang has said talks to buy Liverpool's £237 million debt with RBS were under way as a first step towards a purchase deal for the 18-times English champions.

Media reports have claimed that Huang, a Guangdong-born US citizen who already has interests in Chinese baseball and US basketball, had approached the bank as part of a scheme to eventually acquire control of the club.

But an RBS spokesman said: "We are not in talks with any bidder about the sale of Liverpool football club."

Asked about the denial, the source insisted Huang wanted to buy the Anfield club, who were put up for sale by unpopular American owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett in April.

Huang, chairman of the Hong Kong-based QSL Sports Group, has not commented on the deal but appointed a British media relations firm to represent his interest in the five-times European champions.

Liverpool's owners, who bought the club in February 2007 from former owner David Moores for £218.9m, instructed Barclays Capital to find a buyer in April and appointed British Airways chief Martin Broughton as chairman to oversee the sale.

Barclays Capital refused comment on Monday.

The American duo have faced intense criticism and hostility from Liverpool fans, with frequent demands for their removal, after loading the club with huge debts.

Huang issued a statement in March denying comments attributed to him in the media about the future of then Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez but declining comment on his interest in purchasing the club.

He also owns a minority share in the US basketball team Cleveland Cavaliers.

Media reports have linked Syrian businessman and former international footballer Yahya Kirdi with a deal for Liverpool, who suffered a dismal campaign last season, finishing in seventh place and missing out on a lucrative Champions League spot.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Apparently they're saying on BlueMoon without a hint of irony that if this happens we're ruining football. Haha.

I assume that's a Manchester City forum? Gauche nouveau riche cunts.

Just a few snippets from BlueMoon I had to share, it seems the sense of irony is lost on these lot:

They'll be wealthier than us when this goes ahead,

the FA are a disgrace, how they've allowed this kind of cash into the game is a mystery.

Cheers Rupert lad.

Why would anyone want to buy Liverpool?

A club that is drowning in debt shall be of no interest to a wise businessman nor shall it attract someone like our glorious owner as they do not offer anything such as the project which is taking place in our very own Bradford.

I continue to lose faith in football. The game is uneven and badly needs to be sorted by someone or other.

Guarantee Woy will begone within hours if this goes through, absolutely guarantee it.

Absolutely no chance of that happening.

If he had an unsuccessful first season after being backed substantially financially then maybe. Otherwise it would be a PR disaster, and I'm sure any new owners will be looking to get fans onside.

By David Bond

BBC Sports Editor

Chinese businessman Kenny Huang is one of "several" potential buyers to submit a bid to Liverpool chairman Martin Broughton, BBC Sport understands.

Huang, who is the head of Hong Kong-based investment company QSL Sports Ltd, values the club at about £350m.

But it is understood that as many as six bids were submitted last week.

Broughton and investment bank Barclays Capital, who are leading the sale, will elect a preferred bidder by the end of next week.

Huang has been talking for several weeks to representatives of the Royal Bank of Scotland, with the aim of taking full control of the Reds, who have been up for sale since April this year.

Lets keep the old fingers crossed that a deal can be done outta this!!

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Just a few snippets from BlueMoon I had to share, it seems the sense of irony is lost on these lot:

They'll be wealthier than us when this goes ahead,

the FA are a disgrace, how they've allowed this kind of cash into the game is a mystery.

Cheers Rupert lad.

Why would anyone want to buy Liverpool?

A club that is drowning in debt shall be of no interest to a wise businessman nor shall it attract someone like our glorious owner as they do not offer anything such as the project which is taking place in our very own Bradford.

I continue to lose faith in football. The game is uneven and badly needs to be sorted by someone or other.

Any chance of a link, mate?

Premier League - Bank denies Liverpool sale approach

Reuters - Mon, 02 Aug 11:07:00 2010

Liverpool's major creditor, Royal Bank of Scotland, have denied they were in talks with a Chinese businessman over the sale of the Premier League club.

But a source close to Chinese businessman Kenny Huang has said talks to buy Liverpool's £237 million debt with RBS were under way as a first step towards a purchase deal for the 18-times English champions.

Media reports have claimed that Huang, a Guangdong-born US citizen who already has interests in Chinese baseball and US basketball, had approached the bank as part of a scheme to eventually acquire control of the club.

But an RBS spokesman said: "We are not in talks with any bidder about the sale of Liverpool football club."

Asked about the denial, the source insisted Huang wanted to buy the Anfield club, who were put up for sale by unpopular American owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett in April.

Huang, chairman of the Hong Kong-based QSL Sports Group, has not commented on the deal but appointed a British media relations firm to represent his interest in the five-times European champions.

Liverpool's owners, who bought the club in February 2007 from former owner David Moores for £218.9m, instructed Barclays Capital to find a buyer in April and appointed British Airways chief Martin Broughton as chairman to oversee the sale.

Barclays Capital refused comment on Monday.

The American duo have faced intense criticism and hostility from Liverpool fans, with frequent demands for their removal, after loading the club with huge debts.

Huang issued a statement in March denying comments attributed to him in the media about the future of then Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez but declining comment on his interest in purchasing the club.

He also owns a minority share in the US basketball team Cleveland Cavaliers.

Media reports have linked Syrian businessman and former international footballer Yahya Kirdi with a deal for Liverpool, who suffered a dismal campaign last season, finishing in seventh place and missing out on a lucrative Champions League spot.

That is right RBS are not in any talks over the sale, BARCAP is.

Is it possible that RBS are denying that they're in talks to sell the club because that's the truth, as RBS don't own the club, they just own the debt, and so their statement is factually correct?

Or am I way off the mark?

Guest ShoePiss
Well the club has admitted to 6 bids, you don't need dna samples from each of them do you? It's exactly six more than we knew about earlier so 'flushed them out' would be an expression I would use. Even if they do not exist it's clearly go them in a state of panic.

I do not know if this attempt by Huang will work but it's interesting all the same.

Maybe I'm not up to speed here but I haven't seen the club say they have 6 bidders anywhere. All I've seen is the BBC article which says they understand there are 6 bids...I wouldn't be surprised if it did come from the club but I still think it's bollocks all the same.

No I don't need dna samples, names to me would be more akin to being flushed out in my opinion. Anyway for some reason I always think of duncan oldham when the term flushed out is used so I'm sorry that I have an immediate negative reaction to that.

If the bids don't exist who exactly is in a state of panic? The club? Not following that bit mate.

I'm dubious of anyone who comes out before a deal is done proclaiming that they're going to or have made a bid, I still don't see what they gain from that. Looking at other take overs over the last couple of years and the first we hear is when they actually take over.

I'm skeptical and prefer to think it's bollocks rather than have hopes dashed yet again.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
'Dipper takeover'? Hahahaha.

I love being called a 'dipper' by Mancs. It's genuinely funny.