You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Kenny Huang linked to Liverpool takeover

Wor Horse

Apparently gone straight to RBS as opposed to The Yanks

Rory Smith twitter:

Kenneth Huang talking to RBS - not Hicks, not Gillett, not Broughton - about buying #LFC. Money behind deal substantial. #LFC

--

The danger for the Huang bid is that RBS fall for Gillett's stalling tactic. Kirdi not a legitimate contender. Last throw of the dice? #LFC

--

Just to clarify: the Huang deal is not done. He is not #LFC's owner. He is, though, in talks with RBS and he has the finances to do it.

--

That does not mean it will happen. It just means it could. And given that they've not been beating down the door, it probably should. #LFC

--

I might go to bed now. I suspect it's going to be a busy week. Interest real. Whether it'll happen a different matter entirely. #LFC

Guardian Article

The battle for ownership of Liverpool has returned to the spotlight with reports that the Chinese tycoon Kenny Huang is in negotiations with Royal Bank of Scotland to take control of the club.

Huang, who is partnered by one of the biggest sovereign wealth funds in the Far East, is determined to seize control before the transfer window closes at the end of the month, according to the Times.

The current owners, the Americans Tom Hicks and George Gillett, took over little more than three years ago but put the club up for sale in April and appointed Martin Broughton, the British Airways chairman, to oversee any deal.

Huang was first linked with a buyout at Liverpool two years ago. Sources close to the businessman have reportedly said that he is keen to complete a deal so that the manager, Roy Hodgson, can be given extra funds to sign much-needed players this month.

Liverpool takeover 'stepped up' as Kenny Huang enters talks with RBS | Football | guardian.co.uk

BUT:

Is Gillett deal a Red herring? Liverpool co-owner George said to be holding out for £600m takeover

By CHRIS WHEELER Last updated at 12:33 AM on 2nd August 2010

Worried man: Liverpool co-owner George Gillett

There are growing concerns at Anfield that Liverpool co-owner George Gillett is trying to slow down a takeover that falls short of his £600million valuation, by drafting in rival bidders.

Gillett is worried that the Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS), which is owed £300m by the club, are holding talks with potential buyers who would give him a smaller return on his investment.

Middle East businessman Yahya Kirdi re-emerged as a potential investor yesterday for the second time in four months and is said to be the American's preferred option.

The former Syria football international, who claims to represent a consortium of wealthy Arab businessmen, is reported to have been introduced to senior figures from Anfield and RBS.

But Kirdi, who is a close friend of Gillett's son Foster, was dismissed as a serious option when he was linked with Liverpool in April and talks broke down.

Former Celtic player Andy Lynch, the man tasked with brokering those talks, claimed afterwards that Gillett had reneged on a deal. Club sources insist that no bid is expected from Kirdi or his backers on this occasion.

Falling short: Gillett is said to want £600m for the club, more than the potential buyers with whom RBS are negotiating have offered

Liverpool chiefs and RBS, who are obliged to listen to any proposals put forward by Gillett and co-owner Tom Hicks, fear Gillett is simply using the Syrian's interest to buy himself time to find an investor who will meet the valuation set by the American co-owners.

RBS gave the pair a six-month extension on the £100m repayment that was due last month in the hope of avoiding a fire sale of the club that have won five European Cups but are out of this season's Champions League.

Read more: Is Gillett deal a Red herring? Liverpool co-owner George said to be holding out for £600m takeover | Mail Online

This one seems to have legs, but I won't be getting my hopes up yet.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the info from AnfieldRoad is right then it looks like this is why Cunt George is scrambling to get the syrian guy on board.

He must be trying to scupper this.

Edit: Think the Times and a few other papers are running with the same info about Huang

As I said before if Hicks & Gillett fuck this over It'll make a mockery of what Broughton had to say.

And it's interesting that Huang went straight to RBS and fucked off Barcap, Broughton, Purslow and the owners.

He seems to have serious and substantial backing and according to Rory Smith on Twitter he's just the figurehead of a consortium.

Also I'm sure I saw somewhere he was behind one of the biggest investment deals in Asia which went smoothly.

Actually, I bet it's just one big conspiracy off Dave so he can test if the new upgrade can cope with the load!

Anyone know anything about this guy?

Is he the type of man we want as owner of our club?

Don't know much, but he's been involved in at least a couple of US sport deals. He seems to be keen on huge sponsorships - combining wealthy Chinese companies with Western sports teams.

As far as I know he doesn't have any background in football though. However, it's thought that the Chinese football 'market' is still waiting to be tapped as far as the big money goes, so I guess this would be one aspect of the deal.

Some info on him here, from last April. link

Any chance that hostile bid can up with the yanks getting nothing and shooting themselves in the head?

Is there anyway to ensure that it does?

I'm not a religious man, so praying would seem to be a waste of time either way. I'm prepared to give it a go though.

If he deals directly with RBS isn't he only able to buy their loan or will that somehow enable him to force a full sale? Is it possible we could end up with Tom, George and a Chinese moneylender running things?

If it's a hostile bid then the ultimate would be to get RBS to call in the debt and force a sale to him for around the cost of their exposure. Since they are the main creditors, that would leave Hicks and Gillett fucked.

I have no idea whether he would be looking to throw the yanks a bone. If he wants it done quickly without a ten points deduction then he might have to. I assume the worst case scenario of them walking away with nothing represents considerable leverage in forcing the price down though.