You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Kenny Huang linked to Liverpool takeover

Wor Horse

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There might be 6 bids but there's only one bid who we know is talking to RBS directly.

That's how I'm taking it anyway!

no there isnt !!

Soccer-RBS deny any talks over Liverpool sale

Mon, 02 Aug 17:57:00 2010

Buzz Up!

* RBS deny any approach for Premier League club

* Source insists on Huang's takeover interest

Liverpool's major creditor, Royal Bank of Scotland, on Monday denied they were in talks with a Chinese businessman over the sale of the Premier League club.

But a source close to Chinese businessman Kenny Huang told Reuters talks to buy Liverpool's 237 million pound ($374.7 million) debt with RBS were under way as a first step towards a purchase deal for the 18-times English champions.

British media have widely reported that Huang, a Guangdong-born U.S. citizen who already has interests in Chinese baseball and U.S. basketball, had approached the bank as part of a scheme to eventually acquire control of the club.

But an RBS spokesman told Reuters: "We are not in talks with any bidder about the sale of Liverpool football club."

Asked about the denial, the source insisted Huang wanted to buy the Anfield club, who were put up for sale by unpopular American owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett in April.

Huang, chairman of the Hong Kong-based QSL Sports Group, has not commented on the deal but appointed a British media relations firm to represent his interest in the five-times European champions.

Liverpool's owners, who bought the club in February 2007 from former owner David Moores for 218.9 million pounds, instructed Barclays Capital to find a buyer in April and appointed British Airways chief Martin Broughton as chairman to oversee the sale.

Barclays Capital refused comment on Monday.

The American duo have faced intense criticism and hostility from Liverpool fans, with frequent demands for their removal, after loading the club with huge debts.

Huang issued a statement in March denying comments attributed to him in the British media about the future of then Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez but declining comment on his interest in purchasing the club.

He also owns a minority share in the U.S. basketball team Cleveland Cavaliers.

Media reports have linked Syrian businessman and former international footballer Yahya Kirdi with a deal for Liverpool, who suffered a dismal campaign last season, finishing in seventh place and missing out on a lucrative Champions League spot.

Wonder why all this has leaked to the press today, and who's talking? If we really have six serious bidders, maybe Huang tried a gamble by leaking the details of his bid? He might hope that it will create panic at RBS and stop Broughton's auction.

"I don't like the fact he's got his finger in other sporting pies, namely the New York Yankees and Cleveland Cavaliers.

Thats all I have to say on the matter for now. "

But unlike C n A, Huang's sporting ventures haven't all gone to shit.... Track record's do count for something and Corinthians, the Rangers, the Canadiens and now Liverpool are pretty damning for CnA if this goes to court... there's a precedent there... Huang's been involved with the Yankees, the Rockets and the Cavaliers, three of the most successful franchises in the US (though Cleveland is going to fall now that what's-his-name went to Miami)....

Too much is being made by some about the fact that Huang went directly to RBS, cutting out Broughton and the owners. If he did that he was following the agreed procedures. RBS is in charge of selling the club and receiving bids. Broughton and the board make the final decision.

Also too much is being made of the "hostile" nature of the bid. A bid is a bid. If his terms are that he will repay the debt and provide only a sweetner to the owners then those are the terms the board will review.

The business about a two week deadline, if it is true, would be part of the terms of his bid.

The idea is not feasible that the RBS can call the loans now and in the event of non-repayment force the club into administration and /or sell the club for the value of the debt. RBS appears to have given the club up to one year to make a sale as long as it acts in good faith. If, within that arrangement, there are provisions for RBS to withdraw its extension if it believes the board is not acting in good faith, and not accepting reasonable offers, it would take BS considerable time to seize its security and force the club into administration and sale. Due process would enable the board and the owners to make legal appeals etc

I think the statements attributed to Huang that he wants it in two weeks to buy players and start the stadium are all part of his PR offensive to put pressure on RBS. If he got the club it he would probably be happy to wait the better part of a year before making major moves such as sacking Purslow and bringing Rafa back. I don't think he would hand Hodgson a huge transfer fund.

BBC Sport - Football - Liverpool consider 'several' takeover bids

Updated story now in full.

But it is understood that as many as six bids were submitted last week.

Broughton and investment bank Barclays Capital, who are leading the sale, will elect a preferred bidder by the end of next week.

-------------------------------

Interesting that last bit. If they elect one will G and T have the power to say 'No' to their preffered party?

no there isnt !!

Soccer-RBS deny any talks over Liverpool sale

Mon, 02 Aug 17:57:00 2010

Buzz Up!

* RBS deny any approach for Premier League club

* Source insists on Huang's takeover interest

Liverpool's major creditor, Royal Bank of Scotland, on Monday denied they were in talks with a Chinese businessman over the sale of the Premier League club.

But a source close to Chinese businessman Kenny Huang told Reuters talks to buy Liverpool's 237 million pound ($374.7 million) debt with RBS were under way as a first step towards a purchase deal for the 18-times English champions.

British media have widely reported that Huang, a Guangdong-born U.S. citizen who already has interests in Chinese baseball and U.S. basketball, had approached the bank as part of a scheme to eventually acquire control of the club.

But an RBS spokesman told Reuters: "We are not in talks with any bidder about the sale of Liverpool football club."

Asked about the denial, the source insisted Huang wanted to buy the Anfield club, who were put up for sale by unpopular American owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett in April.

Huang, chairman of the Hong Kong-based QSL Sports Group, has not commented on the deal but appointed a British media relations firm to represent his interest in the five-times European champions.

Liverpool's owners, who bought the club in February 2007 from former owner David Moores for 218.9 million pounds, instructed Barclays Capital to find a buyer in April and appointed British Airways chief Martin Broughton as chairman to oversee the sale.

Barclays Capital refused comment on Monday.

The American duo have faced intense criticism and hostility from Liverpool fans, with frequent demands for their removal, after loading the club with huge debts.

Huang issued a statement in March denying comments attributed to him in the British media about the future of then Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez but declining comment on his interest in purchasing the club.

He also owns a minority share in the U.S. basketball team Cleveland Cavaliers.

Media reports have linked Syrian businessman and former international footballer Yahya Kirdi with a deal for Liverpool, who suffered a dismal campaign last season, finishing in seventh place and missing out on a lucrative Champions League spot.

RBS have just confirmed that have held talks with Huang mate.

If young Kenneth does buy the debt, could the H&G not take out an independent loan and pay him?

Who the fuck is going to lend them anything? They've been looking for over two years. You think they keep refinancing at a premium with RBS because they don't give a shit about money?

Can anyone confirm what happends once Broughton reccomends someone?

Isn't that why he's buying the debt instead of actually buying the club? So he can just call it in because everyone knows H&G don't have the funds to pay the debt off so they would have to sell the club to him, probably for a cut price aswell. Not sure on that though.

1) I wouldn't get excited mate. 6 Bids means 6 reasons to stall the sale of the club, by which time Huang will be gone (Hes stated he wants it done in the next two weeks, latest.)

2) Consequently, I think its a load of bullshit. H/G and their PR team will be frantically trying to combat this considerably hostile bid, and this is their first move. Let on that there are now 6 bids (even though, as of last week there wasn't fucking one according to Broughton) so RBS have to wait for these to be considered. By which time Huang will fuck off. Who are the bidders? Hicks'/Gillette's friends no doubt.

This will play out interestingly.

Mate, I'm 41, I've been going the game since early 70's, I've seen it all, I even lambasted DM in a restaurant in southport with my old man in 1992 about the direction he was taking the club even then. I'm not a wet behind the ears chump. I am excited that we are actually talking about the possibility that cancer and aids might be off. I'll take one bid, two, six, or ten, but anything that might lead to them fucking off is cause for celebration.

At the press-conferance a few weeks ago he was very clear that him and the board decides what bid to accept. G&H have no say.

Apart from their two votes and the fact they appointed everyone on the board you mean? Think that's why Huang is trying to get in behind the defence.

Mate, I'm 41, I've been going the game since early 70's, I've seen it all, I even lambasted DM in a restaurant in southport with my old man in 1992 about the direction he was taking the club even then. I'm not a wet behind the ears chump. I am excited that we are actually talking about the possibility that cancer and aids might be off. I'll take one bid, two, six, or ten, but anything that might lead to them fucking off is cause for celebration.

Not having a go lad but do you mean you've been goin since the early 80's?Otherwise you'd have been a baby and there wasn't many even in the boy's pen.

Apart from their two votes and the fact they appointed everyone on the board you mean? Think that's why Huang is trying to get in behind the defence.

Are they still on the board? Thought they went out when Broughton came in?