You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Israel president Shimon Peres accuses Britain of pro-Arab bias

JER

I didn't say that Jews are a race, although they obviously have a common heritage that Muslims dont have, of course.

This doesn't mean that people can't make racist statements about either.

However, "Muslims" are united by their religion, and "Jews" by their ancestry.

If you didn't exist, Simon would have to invent you

Screech....

The sound of goalposts moving.

Quite, the guy is so obsessed with not backing down that he can't remember his own position from a week ago. He must be a Liberal Democrat

• Downvote 1

If you didn't exist, Simon would have to invent you

Quite, the guy is so obsessed with not backing down that he can't remember his own position from a week ago. He must be a Liberal Democrat

Where have any goalposts moved?

I got called a racist for making a comment about Islam.

If I had said "Muslims are a bunch of evil cunts", then that would be racist.

Where have any goalposts moved?

I got called a racist for making a comment about Islam.

If I had said "Muslims are a bunch of evil cunts", then that would be racist.

You did generalise that Muslims have a history of violence. I think that's pretty racist.

I recently spent 2 years living in the most densely packed Jewish area locally, and as a result used to walk past and among scores of Orthodox Jews every day while taking the dog out, with various friendly interaction. As a result of this, and advice given elsewhere, I have shopped in their Kosher outlets to try the various meat and products out, as I have the Halal shops here. I have mixed freely with Jewish people since childhood.

I think what Israel are doing is unforgivable, from occupation, through treating other humans as little more than animals, to the constant PR offensive which sees them concede no fault for either those things or current events - while frequently defending what is to me indefensible - to being the equivalent of ED-209 filling a child who's tired of being pushed around and thrown a stone at it full of lead, to trying to smear as racist and anti-Semitic anyone who, having reviewed the situation and despite being well aware of it's context and historical complexity, believes objectively through their own set of personal, logical and moral reasonings that the disproportionate nature of what Israel are doing, coupled with their ongoing treatment of the Palestinians, is utterly repugnant, shameful and inhumane.

I don't lump all Jewish people in with those conclusions, while I largely do lump all non-Jewish people who are complicit with such behaviour into them. Two such standpoints of liking Jewish people and disliking the actions of Israel and their enablers, can and do co-exist across a massive swathe of the current worldwide outrage over what is happening. Naturally, there will be a percentage of racist filth who just hate Jews and are ignorant enough to lump a mass of people together in such a way, as there will be racist filth happy Arabs are being killed.

Anti-Semitism however, doesn't even come close to explaining the depth of fury and sickness felt on this subject by people with no historical loyalty or prejudice towards either Jews or Arabs. A depth of fury and sickness made ever greater by the way it is repeatedly offensively misrepresented in a manner which insults much of humanity's intelligence.

• Upvote 6

http://www.bigstory.ap.org/article/netanyahu-us-dont-second-guess-me-hamas

NETANYAHU TO US: DON'T SECOND GUESS ME ON HAMAS

WASHINGTON (AP) — Following the quick collapse of the cease-fire in Gaza, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu told the White House not to force a truce with Palestinian militants on Israel.

Sources familiar with conversations between Netanyahu and senior U.S. officials, including Secretary of State John Kerry, say the Israeli leader advised the Obama administration "not to ever second guess me again" on the matter. The officials also said Netanyahu said he should be "trusted" on the issue and about the unwillingness of Hamas to enter into and follow through on cease-fire talks.

The Obama administration on Friday condemned "outrageous" violations of an internationally brokered Gaza cease-fire by Palestinian militants and called the apparent abduction of an Israeli soldier a "barbaric" action.

The strong reaction came as top Israeli officials questioned the effort to forge the truce, accusing the U.S. and the United Nations of being naive in assuming the radical Hamas movement would adhere with its terms. The officials also blamed the Gulf state of Qatar for not forcing the militants to comply.

With the cease-fire in tatters fewer than two hours after it took effect with an attack that killed two Israeli troops and left a third missing, President Barack Obama demanded that those responsible release the soldier.

Obama and other U.S. officials did not directly blame Hamas for the abduction. But they made clear they hold Hamas responsible for, or having influence over, the actions of all factions in the Gaza Strip. The language was a distinct change from Thursday when Washington was focused on the deaths of Palestinian civilians.

"If they are serious about trying to resolve this situation, that soldier needs to be unconditionally released as soon as possible," Obama told reporters. He added that it would be difficult to revive the cease-fire without the captive's release.

"It's going to be very hard to put a cease-fire back together again if Israelis and the international community can't feel confident that Hamas can follow through on a cease-fire commitment," he said. His comment reflected uncertainty in the U.S. and elsewhere that Hamas was actually responsible for the incident or if some other militant group was to blame.

At the same time, Obama called the situation in Gaza "heartbreaking" and repeated calls for Israel to do more to prevent Palestinian civilian casualties.

Despite the collapse of the truce, Obama credited Kerry for his work with the United Nations to forge one. He lamented criticism and "nitpicking" of Kerry's attempts and said the effort would continue.

Kerry negotiated the truce with U.N. chief Ban Ki-moon in a marathon session of phone calls over several days while he was in India on an official visit. Kerry had spent much of the past two weeks in Egypt, Israel, the West Bank and France trying to mediate a cease-fire with Qatar and Turkey playing a major role because of their close ties with Hamas.

Those efforts failed with Israel saying it could not trust Hamas and some Israelis and American pro-Israel groups complaining that the U.S. was treating the group — a foreign terrorist organization as designated by the State Department — as a friend.

Late Thursday, however, Israel accepted Kerry and Ban's latest proposal, despite its reservations. Once the truce was violated, though, Israeli officials hit out at not only Hamas, but the United States and Qatar for its failure.

An Israeli official said the Netanyahu government viewed both Hamas and Qatar as having violated the commitment given to the U.S. and the U.N. and that it expected the international community to take practical steps as part of a "strong and swift response," especially regarding the return of the abducted soldier.

In a phone call with U.S. Ambassador to Israel Dan Shapiro, Netanyahu vented his anger, according to people familiar with the call.

Netanyahu told Shapiro the Obama administration was "not to ever second-guess me again" and that Washington should trust his judgment on how to deal with Hamas, according to the people. Netanyahu added that he now "expected" the U.S. and other countries to fully support Israel's offensive in Gaza, according to those familiar with the call. They spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the matter by name.

They said Netanyahu made similar points to Kerry, who himself denounced the attack as "outrageous," saying it was an affront to assurances to respect the cease-fire given to the United States and United Nations, which brokered the truce.

___

AP National Security Writer Lara Jakes at Ramstein Air Force Base, Germany, contributed to this report.

Jon Snow @jonsnowC4 37m

US Congress approves $225million for Israel's Iron Dome defence system: vote: 395 to 8. http://in.reuters.com/article/2014/08/02/us-mideast-gaza-irondome-usa-idINKBN0G202W20140802 

Jon Snow @jonsnowC4 34m

Netanyahu berates America: 'Never second guess me on Hamas': http://www.bigstory.ap.org/article/netanyahu-us-dont-second-guess-me-hamas 

800px-Islington_Punch_and_Judy.JPG

If I thought for one minute Israel was deliberately targeting civilians , Id feel the same . Unfortunately the numbers show they aren't deliberately targeting civilians .

I'd say the fact that over 1300 Palestinian civilians dead stayed Israel are targeting civilians, says they are targeting civilians.