You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Israel president Shimon Peres accuses Britain of pro-Arab bias

JER

If anyone thinks Hamas are fighting for "freedom", they are horribly naive, and need to learn a bit more about what life under Hamas, or any other Islamist government, is like.

That does not make it right for another country to force a foreign territory to live under their rule. 

That includes Northern Ireland. Regardless of how an organisation fights to rid an alien power from its land, they have every right to try. 

What about the arabs and muslims visceral hatred of the Jews ? Acceptable is it ?

There were also stories of great courage and sacrifice on the part of Muslims who risked their own lives to save the Jews from the Nazis. Muslim Albania was the only country in Europe in which there were more Jews after the war than there had been before the war. Before World War II, there were only 200 Jews in Albania, which had a total population of 800,000. After the war, there were many more Jews after Jewish refugees from some half dozen European countries fled the Nazi persecution and sought shelter in Albania.

These Muslim heroes included the Bosnian Dervis Korkut, who harbored a young Jewish woman resistance fighter named Mira Papo and saved the Sarajevo Haggadah, one of the most valuable Hebrew manuscripts in the world; the Turk Selahattin Ulkumen, whose rescue of fifty Jews from the ovens of Auschwitz led to the death of his wife Mihrinissa soon after she gave birth to their son Mehmet when the Nazis retaliated for his heroism; and the Albanian Refik Vesili who - at the age of 16 - saved eight Jews by hiding them in his family's mountain home.

They dont have a hatred of jews. Thats a myth and modern myth that has become a reality, probably since Isreal was created by forcefully expelling a million native Palestinians before then it was Christians, Europeans, Americans who were persecuting. Palestinians were taking in Jews in WW2, USA was turning jew ships them back. Only reason US is on their side is the Isreali forefathers convinced them it would be good geopolitically to have an ally nearby to keep the oil flowing. 

If anyone thinks Hamas are fighting for "freedom", they are horribly naive, and need to learn a bit more about what life under Hamas, or any other Islamist government, is like.

Maybe i dont know, the freedom Isreal fears most, one man, one vote, freedom from the occupation first, then let them sort out their own affairs.

Social welfare

Hamas is popular among Palestinians in the Gaza Strip,[citation needed] though it also has a following in the West Bank, and to a lesser extent in other Middle Eastern countries.[citation needed] Its popularity stems in part from its welfare wing providing social services to Palestinians in the occupied territories. Such services are not generally provided by the Palestinian Authority. Israeli scholar Reuven Paz estimates that 90% of Hamas activities revolve around "social, welfare, cultural, and educational activities". Social services include running relief programs and funding schools, orphanages, mosques, healthcare clinics, soup kitchens, and sports leagues.[58]

In particular, Hamas funded health services where people could receive free or inexpensive medical treatment. Hamas greatly contributed to the health sector, and facilitated hospital and physician services in the Palestinian territory. On the other hand, Hamas's use of hospitals is sometimes criticised as purportedly serving the promotion of violence against Israel.[59] Charities affiliated with Hamas are known to financially support families of those who have been killed or imprisoned while carrying out militant actions or supporting such actions. Families typically receive a one time grant of $500 to $5,000, and those whose homes have been destroyed by the Israel Defense Forces have their rent paid for temporary housing. Families of militants not affiliated with Hamas sometimes receive less.[60]

Hamas has funded education and built Islamic charities, libraries, mosques and education centers for women. They also built nurseries, kindergartens and supervised religious schools that provide free meals to children. When children attend their schools and mosques, parents are required to sign oaths of allegiance. Refugees, as well as those left without homes, are able to claim financial and technical assistance from Hamas.

In March 2006, Hamas released its official legislative program. The document clearly signaled that Hamas could refer the issue of recognizing Israel to a national referendum. Under the heading "Recognition of Israel," it stated simply (AFP, 3/11/06): "The question of recognizing Israel is not the jurisdiction of one faction, nor the government, but a decision for the Palestinian people." 

• Upvote 1

Joan Rivers, working on her logic, presumably speaks for all of Israel then.

Lot of unfair criticism on Rivers without people knowing the full facts.

Its not widely known that the last two plastic surgeons she employed to operate on her face were Palestinian , so in fairness to Joan, I'd want to bomb the fuck out of Gaza if someone made me look like that.

Lot of unfair criticism on Rivers without people knowing the full facts.

Its not widely known that the last two plastic surgeons she employed to operate on her face were Palestinian , so in fairness to Joan, I'd want to bomb the fuck out of Gaza if someone made me look like that.

he's got a point

Very simple question. Do you accept it would almost certainly be a better life than they are currently experiencing with Israel's illegally occupying boot on their throats?

Have you seen the pictures of the kids who've died of thirst hiding from ISIS

Yes. And those responsible are scumbags. But why are the US so keen to help out these people and ignore those in need in Gaza? Accusing them of acts of genocide yet not the Israelis who are doing the exact same thing? Double standards. Profit to be made innit.

• Upvote 1

Very simple question. Do you accept it would almost certainly be a better life than they are currently experiencing with Israel's illegally occupying boot on their throats?

The question is redundant, because we have empirical evidence in the form of the West Bank, where the people live with Israel's "boot on their throats".

So, is life better under the occupying Israelis in the West Bank than it is in Gaza under Hamas? Probably a question someone else should answer.

• Downvote 1

The question is redundant, because we have empirical evidence in the form of the West Bank, where the people live with Israel's "boot on their throats".

So, is life better under the occupying Israelis in the West Bank than it is in Gaza under Hamas? Probably a question someone else should answer.

I've negged you for that.

Deeply dishonest approach to conversing and why you get so much shit. How you aren't embarrassed by the levels you stoop to in order to move goalposts and spin a situation amazes me.

Gaza under Hamas?  Coward.

• Upvote 1

I've negged you for that.

Deeply dishonest approach to conversing and why you get so much shit. How you aren't embarrassed by the levels you stoop to in order to move goalposts and spin a situation amazes me.

Gaza under Hamas?  Coward.

I haven't got a clue what you're talking about and would like you to explain, thanks.

Fed up with you accusing me of all kinds of shit and never bothering to actually explain what you mean.

Hamas run Gaza. Hamas do not run the West Bank. Explain to me where the dishonesty in stating a fact is.

You'll want to get onto Wikipedia and get that amended too:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamas

Hamas (Arabic: حماس‎ Ḥamās, "enthusiasm", an acronym of حركة المقاومة الاسلامية Ḥarakat al-Muqāwamah al-ʾIslāmiyyah, "Islamic Resistance Movement") is a Palestinian Sunni Islamic[7] organization, with an associated military wing, the Izz ad-Din al-Qassam Brigades,[8] in the Palestinian territories and elsewhere in the Middle East including Qatar.[9] Since 2007, it has governed the Gaza Strip, after it won a majority of seats in the Palestinian Parliament in the 2006 Palestinian parliamentary elections[10] and defeated the Fatah political organization in a series of violent clashes.

I haven't got a clue what you're talking about and would like you to explain, thanks.

Fed up with you accusing me of all kinds of shit and never bothering to actually explain what you mean.

Hamas run Gaza. Hamas do not run the West Bank. Explain to me where the dishonesty in stating a fact is.

You'll want to get onto Wikipedia and get that amended too:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamas

Yes you have. You're deliberately being dishonest. Again.

Did Hamas build a big fucking wall around Gaza did it? Wow, that's an odd policy from the ruling party. Deciding to limit their own movement was an interesting one too. 

Who do you think has more control over the quality of life in these areas? The occupying superpower or Hamas?

You're a fucking coward who refuses to engage truthfully. End of. 

• Upvote 3

Yes you have. You're deliberately being dishonest. Again.

Did Hamas build a big fucking wall around Gaza did it? Wow, that's an odd policy from the ruling party. Deciding to limit their own movement was an interesting one too. 

Who do you think has more control over the quality of life in these areas? The occupying superpower or Hamas?

You're a fucking coward who refuses to engage truthfully. End of.

You can't keep accusing people of dishonesty when what you mean is they don't share your opinion.

I can keep accusing you of dishonesty when you post comparisons that claim what you just have. Either that or you're a fucking retard, which I don't think you are.

I'll ask again: Who do you think has more control over the quality of life in these areas? The occupying superpower or Hamas?

I can keep accusing you of dishonesty when you post comparisons that claim what you just have. Either that or you're a fucking retard, which I don't think you are.

I'll ask again: Who do you think has more control over the quality of life in these areas? The occupying superpower or Hamas?

Your question is misleading. Israel doesn't occupy Gaza, there are no Israelis there, not usually.

Gaza is subject to an Israeli-Egyptian blockade, which is not the same thing as a military occupation.

Whether Israel or Hamas has more control over life in Gaza, or Fatah in the West Bank, is not the pertinent question, is it?

It suits your purposes to ignore the West Bank, because the West Bank is exactly what Gaza would be like if Hamas wasn't around, ie a lot better off.

It suits your purposes to pretend that Hamas doesn't bear a massive amount of responsibility for what happens in Gaza, and why life in Gaza is so much worse than life in the West Bank.

• Upvote 1

Your question is misleading. Israel doesn't occupy Gaza, there are no Israelis there, not usually.

Gaza is subject to an Israeli-Egyptian blockade, which is not the same thing as a military occupation.

Whether Israel or Hamas has more control over life in Gaza, or Fatah in the West Bank, is not the pertinent question, is it?

It suits your purposes to ignore the West Bank, because the West Bank is exactly what Gaza would be like if Hamas wasn't around, ie a lot better off.

It suits your purposes to pretend that Hamas doesn't bear a massive amount of responsibility for what happens in Gaza, and why life in Gaza is so much worse than life in the West Bank.

So are you claiming that the Palestinians are bulldozing their own homes and pulling themselves off the street to be beaten and tortured? What difference does the word you choose use make to the situation? I think if you have control the walled-in territory utterly, to the level of the calories being available to the population, then it's not really misleading to suggest they are occupied. And more to the point the word makes no difference the the quality of life that is being discussed.

Whether Israel or Hamas has control over Gaza is very much the pertinent question given you were asked if life would be better without the Israeli occupation, a question which also stands for the West Bank.

Nobody asked you if you thought life might be mildly less intolerable if Hamas were not there but they were still under occupation, they asked you if you thought there would be more quality of life if the Israeli's took their boots off their throats (again a question you can answer for the West Bank if you so wish).

So, again, a very simple question, under Hamas:

Do you accept it would almost certainly be a better life than they are currently experiencing with Israel's illegally BLOCKADING boot on their throats?