You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Israel president Shimon Peres accuses Britain of pro-Arab bias

JER

Deadly strike 'on UN school in Gaza'

Updated 8 minutes ago

At least seven people have been killed in an Israeli air strike on a UN-run school housing Palestinians displaced by the Gaza conflict, medics say.

Thousands of Palestinians were believed to be sheltering in the facility in Rafah in the southern Gaza Strip.

The Israeli military has not commented but has been carrying out renewed strikes in Gaza.

Gaza health officials say 30 people have died on Sunday, while militants continue to fire rockets into Israel.

The latest exchanges came after Israel's military said that an officer it feared had been captured had now been confirmed dead. Hadar Goldin went missing on Friday near Rafah.

Confirmation of 2nd Lt Goldin's death means 66 Israelis have now died in the fighting, all but two of them soldiers. A Thai worker in Israel also died.

The latest official figures from Gaza's health ministry say that 1,740 Palestinians have been killed and 9,080 injured since the conflict began more than three weeks ago.

The Israeli shelling of the Jabaliya UN shelter last week, which killed 16 people, drew widespread international condemnation.

I guess they didn't realise the UN has a school there either

I went off too early!!! It answers some of the points I didn't know about, but is it balanced?

Well, given be thinks that the death toll in Israel is lower because they protect their citizens better (Israel having access to a multitude of tanks, aircraft, state of the art guided missiles, shelters, and funding from around the world) and the Palestinian's don't (the Palastinians having access to some rockets made out of piping, some AK47s, some rocks, and being subject to sanctions that prevent them from obtaining basic ammenities), then I'd say his opinion is somewhat skewed.

1. Where the pictures come from doesn't matter, there are children being killed.

2. Oil is also important, but I don't think most people care about the 'reasons' for a war.

3. Israel is indiscriminately killing kids, I don't care about their motives.

4. No evidence of people being used as human shields.

5. Highly subjective point.

6. Ridiculous & already been addressed above.

7. Everybody is not pro-Israel, just those who consume Fox News and the ignorant. 

Even people who lean towards Israel in their political views want this to end now. The article tried to be clever by suggesting he has balanced views and even claims he's been accused of being pro-Palestine. I very much doubt that he ever has. It's very very far from a balanced article.

• Upvote 1

That article ended in what would appear a pretty balanced way but the points before that don't seem particularly objective.

One point I see keeps cropping up is how Isreal mustn't want Palastinian casualties because if it did there'd be loads more, while Hamas benefits from civilian casualties (which I don't doubt). My question to that point then is why do Isreal keep giving Hamas what they want?

• Upvote 1

That American host is a moron. I truthfully believed those kind of people were parodies and not real.

The only serious person on that panel,Geraldo Rivera,actually put the interviewer straight and where did they get that woman! Know your place love.

She's funny, she gets angry and chucks a few insults out, but actually says nothing. The host is a bad bell end!

Well argued , I can only echo your sentiment , Bullshit

it's a balancing act.  How many civilians can Israel indiscriminately kill without losing the support of the US?  That's the game they're playing.  

If we'd seen the same number of Israeli casualties we'd be witnessing a war right now.  What we are witnessing is just calculated slaughter.  

• Upvote 1

So, it looks like Netanyahu etc have now lied about the 3 murdered teenagers and now the alleged kidnapped soldier all to justify starting the build up to an assault in Gaza, and then to subsequently continue it, by flattening Raffah.

Can we believe a single word that comes out of their mouth? Not that we did before, anyway.

it's a balancing act. How many civilians can Israel indiscriminately kill without losing the support of the US? That's the game they're playing.

If we'd seen the same number of Israeli casualties we'd be witnessing a war right now. What we are witnessing is just calculated slaughter.

That's the point that those saying they could kill more than thus are deliberately missing (or are genuinely not astute enough to work out).

Israel are deliberately killing civilians up to the top limit they think the international community will accept. They're assessing just what level of collective punishment they can get away with.