You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

11 minutes ago, Paul said:

Can’t be arsed getting into this too much as it’s (on brand) too hot. However, uniform is incredibly important. It massively helps with issues of poverty as it stops the poorest kids being so easily identified as such. It’s also a very simple way of asserting discipline and rules. That was done by leathering kids in the past. Now more subtle methods are required. I guarantee on any given day 90% of the kids with uniform issues will be the ones dicking about and disrupting lessons. 

Spot on. Still, in extreme circumstances a day off or at least a pair of shorts should be allowed. 

Just now, Paul said:

Can’t be arsed getting into this too much as it’s (on brand) too hot. However, uniform is incredibly important. It massively helps with issues of poverty as it stops the poorest kids being so easily identified as such. It’s also a very simple way of asserting discipline and rules. That was done by leathering kids in the past. Now more subtle methods are required. I guarantee on any given day 90% of the kids with uniform issues will be the ones dicking about and disrupting lessons. 

If they were all basic, from the blazers to the shoes, P.E. kits and trainees/boots then fair enough, I would agree.

But they're not.

Uniforms can be stupidly expensive when they have to have the school logo's embroidered on them for example, making them unaffordable for a lot of people especially if there is more than one child at the school.

But this is off track. 

My point was that in extreme weather conditions such as these, education, is more important than sitting in a classroom, hot and bothered in full uniform.

If they can have non uniform days to raise money for school funds, then they can show a bit of common sense and afford their pupils a bit of comfort by relaxing the rules.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

I sat out in garden for an hour and necked 3 bottles of Corona. I'm feeling well fucked now though, like the beer has affected me more. Watching the Hurling now and fucked if I'm leaving the house again today. 

Some match this Zonks. 

8 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Spot on. Still, in extreme circumstances a day off or at least a pair of shorts should be allowed. 

Yes, this is more what I meant rather than no uniforms at all. I get why they’re there, and in the main I agree. 

Not sure why they need the expensive white shirt with the school logo, from the approved shop though. They aren’t allowed the much cheaper ones from about a thousand other places that are exactly the same apart from not having a logo. A logo that remains hidden most of the year anyway, as the kids aren’t allowed to take their blazers off unless it’s properly hot. 

Anyway, it’s a bit of topic so I’ll get back to watching the golf and avoiding the wife. 

Just watered the plants in the back. It was in the shade, so wasn’t too bad, but warm still. And, a weird warm at that. The air is totally different to how it usually is. It’s warm and there’s no cooling benefit from the off gust of wind. 

I did enjoy putting the hose on the mist setting though and squirting it up into the air to fall back on to me. Lovely! 

10 minutes ago, DJLJ said:

Put up the tent in the garden. Great sleeping outside when this warm. 35 degrees in the tent at 7 in the morning makes you get up early…

I’ll never forget my mate at a festival waking up seriously hungover at about 8am absolutely on fire from the heat in his tent. Loads of us had been up a good hour and were sat round. He crawled out of his tent and took a huge sip of water. It was neat vodka. Warm vodka. He had about 4 large gulps before realising and all. Nobody envied him. 

On 16/07/2022 at 22:45, Harry's Lad said:

Your interpretation is correct mate.

Schools are going too far. People's work doesn't suffer if they're wearing shorts and a polo shirt for example in a heatwave. 

Quite the opposite I would have thought.

Education is important, uniforms aren't.

The thing about schools is that their main role is to instill conformity and obedience in young people so they become pliant members of the workforce.

They're basically prisons for children.

13 hours ago, Harry's Lad said:

If they were all basic, from the blazers to the shoes, P.E. kits and trainees/boots then fair enough, I would agree.

But they're not.

Uniforms can be stupidly expensive when they have to have the school logo's embroidered on them for example, making them unaffordable for a lot of people especially if there is more than one child at the school.

But this is off track. 

My point was that in extreme weather conditions such as these, education, is more important than sitting in a classroom, hot and bothered in full uniform.

If they can have non uniform days to raise money for school funds, then they can show a bit of common sense and afford their pupils a bit of comfort by relaxing the rules.

Ours are chosen to be “poverty proofed” and we don’t have non-uniform days as loads of kids stay off school because they’re worried that they’ll get the piss taken out of their shit trainees.

Sounds like rather than a problem with uniform, you’ve got a problem with a shit school. 

6 hours ago, Strontium said:

The thing about schools is that their main role is to instill conformity and obedience in young people so they become pliant members of the workforce.

They're basically prisons for children.

Ha, ha, ha!!! 

14 hours ago, Paul said:

Yeah, okay Gola wanker.