You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Hodgson and the Skopje press conference.

Duncan Clench

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The irony! You think Roy's a god because you absolutely detested Benitez. Cant complain when it happens the other way.

The “All we ever seem to do at Liverpool is have discussions,” is clearly a dig at someone and you'd be on the verge of a heart attack if the nasty Spaniard had said that.

You've got some nerve I'll give you that. You're snide, make stuff up and there you are having a go at journalists!

Oh dear, here we go again.

So you're saying it's perfectly acceptable for a journalist writing for a quality broadsheet to miss out huge quotes in order to paint a certain negative picture? But you think it's acceptable for journalists to do this, do you? You don't think there are any ethical obligations on them? The missing quotes from the conference change the context of Roy's answers completely and explain why he got so exasperated with the British press. The article smacks of a schoolboy who has just been chided by the nasty headteacher.

As for 'making stuff up', can you show me where I described Roy as a 'god' please? Because I think he's an underwhelming short-term appointment, but probably the best man for the job in the current circumstances and the best we could hope for. Is that elevating him to the pantheon of deity? In other words, can you stop making stuff up, please!

I do agree by the way about the line about 'discussions' - it's worryingly reminiscent of Rafa post-Athens and it wouldn't surprise me at all if Roy felt that the club isn't delivering on its promises. But then how do you reconcile that sense of annoyance with your view that he's a mediocre yes-man? Can he be both?

But I suppose that given your record on here, I shouldn't be surprised that you can't understand a complicated argument, or one that doesn't make sweeping generalisation or cast wild aspersions, should I?

I watched the press conference.

Nothing wrong with what he said.

Well that depends if you still have mascara lines on your cheeks over Rafa I suppose.

Er, except the vast majority of people have no problem with Hodgson being moody with the press. Most people have focused on a single line relating to 'discussions' within the club, not as a criticism of Roy, but as a POTENTIALLY worrying portent of yet more politicking and strife to come. DS has expressed an alternative, quite plausible take on the comments, which many others agree with. Ergo, why are you such a dick?

Why would people who may have supported Rafa automatically want to paint Roy in a bad light? Roy didn't sack him, and the club didn't sack Rafa because they specifically wanted to replace him with Roy.

I supported Rafa so I don't understand why that would mean I'd not want to support Roy. And what's wrong with painting the people running the club in a bad light? That's the light they operate in.

I don't get the desire to slate good reds like Rory Smith and Tony Evans because they say all is not well at LFC. Guess what? All isn't well.

Yes, you're right that all isn't at all well. But this article that has caused such a furore is a misrepresentation becasue of the quotes missed out, which is what I've objected to.

I don't doubt the journalists are good reds - but all you can do is react to the comments they have made, and I think this article was a response to a rebuke from Roy in the press conference as the missing quotes make clear. As for Tony Evans's remarks about the club having to sell Gerrard and Torres on the cheap (he mentioned £25m for Torres) and how they both wanted to leave - well, they haven't been borne out

As for Tony Evans's remarks about the club having to sell Gerrard and Torres on the cheap (he mentioned £25m for Torres) and how they both wanted to leave - well, they haven't been borne out

Are you not misrepresenting him here (i.e. doing exactly what you're objecting to)?

Weren't his comments that Chelsea thought they could get him on the cheap because of our financial problems, rather than the club being willing to sell him on the cheap?

Obviously, if you can point me in the direction of the comments where he did say we had to/were willing to sell Torres for £25m...

I watched the press conference.

Nothing wrong with what he said.

Well that depends if you still have mascara lines on your cheeks over Rafa I suppose.

yea thats exactly what it is, had benitez said this nobody would have batted an eye lid

Why don't you fuck off with the 'Rafa' based shit stirring you little fucking blert.

you got some serious issues

anger managment?

Er, except the vast majority of people have no problem with Hodgson being moody with the press. Most people have focused on a single line relating to 'discussions' within the club, not as a criticism of Roy, but as a POTENTIALLY worrying portent of yet more politicking and strife to come. DS has expressed an alternative, quite plausible take on the comments, which many others agree with. Ergo, why are you such a dick?

why slate him like that just for saying the obvious?

there is nothing "potentially" wrong with what roy said stop trying to read between the lines you knob.

Why don't you fuck off with the 'Rafa' based shit stirring you little fucking blert.

No I won't. Because people are comparing every single thing Hodgson does to what Benitez did. Hodgson has been here 5 minutes, he needs time to be both judged on his own merits, not what the former manager did.

If you want to twist his words, create something that isn't there, then it's for one reason only, and that is Rafa.

Rather, the hysteria emanating from Liverpool supporters is reinforcing the stereotype and exposing them to further parody.

Can't have one without the other.

A simple "no news on the transfer front". "Formations? not giving away any secrets" would not have played straight into the hands of those whose angle and reaction is completely predictable.

His ''we always seem to be having discussions at Liverpool'' sounds like a dig at the board to me.

Very much like Benitez's ''All we do is talk, talk, talk at Liverpool.''

Sounds like Roy is letting people know he isn't happy with what he's having to deal with at the club.

Fair play to him.

Why would people who may have supported Rafa automatically want to paint Roy in a bad light? Roy didn't sack him, and the club didn't sack Rafa because they specifically wanted to replace him with Roy.

I supported Rafa so I don't understand why that would mean I'd not want to support Roy. And what's wrong with painting the people running the club in a bad light? That's the light they operate in.

I don't get the desire to slate good reds like Rory Smith and Tony Evans because they say all is not well at LFC. Guess what? All isn't well.

Rory Smith is a child who tries to write like that twat James Lawton, but without any of Lawton's redeeming footballing insight and Tony Evans is a blubbering fool without any journalism education. Did you hear him on TalkSport the other week? He sounded like he was about to burst into tears, very professional that. Every journalist has his own agenda and I won't blame them for that. These 'good reds' wanted Rafa to stay, they think the club has made a mistake, so everything they see (and report on), they'll see in light of this mistake. They will make a comparison in their head and everytime Roy comes up short against Rafa, they'll happily highlight it. In this case they can point out that the situation at the club has even managed to get wise, old Roy all worked up (, so what did chance did Rafa have?) Just human nature of wanting your own judgement to be proved right. The journalists who've been calling for an English Manager for a while, will still be reporting things in favour of Roy. Journo's like Henry Winter, Martin Lipton etc. are going to report positively about us for a while. And I bet you anything that when things do go badly, then those journalists will finally start to focus more on the malign influence of our ownership.

Who gives a flying fuck what the press think.

Why should Hodgson tell them the formation or what discussions are happening at Anfield.

In a fucking nutshell. He is not here to have the press suck his cock, he is here to try and win football matches for LFC. This bringing Rafa into it, as the usual suspects seem obliged to do, is monotonous.

Every single little thing is getting over analysed now, who gives a fuck if one or two reporters don't like what our manager says?

No I won't. Because people are comparing every single thing Hodgson does to what Benitez did. Hodgson has been here 5 minutes, he needs time to be both judged on his own merits, not what the former manager did.

Welcome to football, where football managers from football clubs are compared to other football managers and previous football managers from their football clubs.

You're one of the worst on here for going on about Benitez, you cant whinge when others bring him up.

If people are comparing whats said in press conferences guess who's fault that is? People like yours who last season were like "Oh my god, Benitez just said this....what a prick"

If you want to twist his words, create something that isn't there, then it's for one reason only, and that is Rafa.

Shut your fucking noise up lad. You've got far too much to say for yourself, and most of it is snide, glib, mealy mouthed, sniping, idiotic and divisive shit, all done with a purpose. You need a clip round the earhole.

Only you could have seen the title of this thread and managed to use it as an opportunity for Rafa shit stirring.

Jesus lads some extreme knee jerking, Roy is solid and i don't get where the word rattled has come from and i ts just the fucking press for christ sake, fucking suicide watch! He ain't gonna tell formation obviously and of course he is pissed off that he is missing his whole entire starting eleven.

There is nothing whatsoever in this, lets just enjoy the game tonight an dstop making something out of nothing.

I've seen nothing to scrutinise over since Hodgson has become manager.

Everything in that has been said is speculation and scaremongering. Hodgson isn't stupid, he knew what he was getting into, so I doubt he would complain so soon after taking the job.

Not that I think he's complaining, he's came across as a middle ground between Roy Evans and Benitez, not to nice, nor not to hard. His handling of the Mascherano situation has been top notch, and he's said the right things.

You can bet that if he'd given the same responses whilst manager of Fulham, very little would have been made of it. Of course being manager of Liverpool means having to deal with a hundred-fold increase in speculation, but the twats in the media do like to try and stir up shit when it comes to this club.