You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Elementary is ok, both Johnny Lee Miller and Lucy Lu (yum) are good. It isn't a patch on Sherlock though for plotting, character and crimes.

Sherlock's adaptation of the original stories is genius. Elementary doesn't try to do that. It's basically your standard US detective series with a guy called Holmes in it.

Thanks for that. I think I must have picked something up in those recent trailers that suggested it did. Need to go and check whether I binned the original series, anyway

Thanks for that. I think I must have picked something up in those recent trailers that suggested it did. Need to go and check whether I binned the original series, anyway

Well I've only watched 3 of them maybe, and it didn't in any of those! Might have in other episodes I suppose.

I've seen every episode (17) of Elementary to date, and it's ok. Not brilliant by any stretch but worth a watch. It has pretty much nothing to do with the source material.

It has a female Watson, is set in New York, Holmes dad is alive, etc... There are a few references to the books but it's few and far between.

Colonel Sebastien Moran ( played by Vinnie Jones ) is in it for example and Moriarty has been mentioned along with Irene Adler.

It is essentially though just The Mentalist with Sherlock Holmes.

• 6 months later...

I'm off to the theater next week to see Sherlock Holmes : A Study In Fear, based on The Final Problem apparently.

Only a tenner too. Looking forward to it, must say.

For Mr Cougar and anyone else who's a Holmes fan, here's a link to the tour dates : http://www.ents24.com/uk/tour-dates/rumpus-theatre-company

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm off to the theater next week to see Sherlock Holmes : A Study In Fear, based on The Final Problem apparently.

Only a tenner too. Looking forward to it, must say.

For Mr Cougar and anyone else who's a Holmes fan, here's a link to the tour dates : http://www.ents24.com/uk/tour-dates/rumpus-theatre-company

FWIW, went to see this last night. Decent little 3 man production and for a daft tenner it was sound.

The acting was pretty terrible though imo, although (baring in mind the play was based on The Final Problem) there was an interesting twist, when revealed...

Warning! The following content is NOT WORK SAFE. Click the Show button to reveal.

that Holmes had a split personality disorder stretching back many years, supressed by his increasing use of cocaine.

One of Holmes alter personalities was in fact Professor Moriarty (whom he tried to "kill" / banish during their imaginary duel at Reichenback.) Holmes second alternative personality was Jack The Ripper !

All the clues were there, so an enjoyable low budget production.

Well worth a tenner.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not a massive fan of English television, even much lauded shows like Luther - which I like - are vastly overrated in my opinion. I do really like this though, can't wait for the new series. Looks like there could possibly even be a fifth season as well.

http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/514967/20131018/sherlock-season-3-benedict-cumberbatch-martin-freeman.htm#.UmRMahCQPwM

The premiere date of "Sherlock" 3 is still shrouded in mystery, but there are already talks of "Sherlock" Season 4 and "Sherlock" Season 5. Benedict Cumberbatch, who plays the titular role of Sherlock, and Martin Freeman, who potrays Dr Watson, have shown interest in doing a couple of more seasons of "Sherlock" despite their busy Hollywood schedule.

421077-benedict-cumberbatch.jpg

Cumberbatch had indicated that they have agreed on doing two more series. "All I know at the moment is I'm doing these three [the episodes of "Sherlock 3"] and another three," the Bristish actor had said as quoted by The Global Dispatch. Freeman had said at an event that the season four of "Sherlock" is in the pipeline.

Steven Moffat responded to Cumberbatch and Freeman's comments on the new, unannounced seasons, with some British humour.

"We had to inform the BBC that Martin and Benedict had commissioned a new series. They signed themselves up. They both announced that they were carrying on -- so that's good," Moffat said as quoted by Radio Times.

The hugely popular BBC series "Sherlock" is based on Sir Arthur Connan Doyle's "Sherlock Holmes." There are speculations that "Sherlock" Season 3 will premiere sometime in January, 2014. BBC might give millions of "Sherlock" fans a surprise gift in the form of a new episode on October 31, 2013. The October 31 date, however, seems highly unlikely as we are well past mid-October.

The first episode of "Sherlock" Season 3 is The Empty Hearse', written by Mark Gatiss and directed by Jeremy Lovering. It is loosely based on the original short story by Sir Doyle, "The Adventure of the Empty House." Sherlock will appear in front of Watson at the Baker Street, revealing to him and the viewers how he faked his death. Watson will be happy seeing his friend back but will hold a grudge against him. Watson is also expected to get married in the new season, probably in the second episode of "Sherlock" 3

Charles Augustus Magnussen is the new villain, portrayed by Lars Mikkelsen.

• 2 months later...

I have swam against the tide since day 1 with this version of Sherlock, watched it tonight and it just reaffirmed my opinion that this whole production, and Cumberbatch especially, are massively overrated, unsuited, and heretical. Style over substance all the way.

Holmes is supposed to be a 1 in a billion, razor sharp maverick genius. Cumberbatch's Sherlock is a simpering, pompous, public school, homo fop.

Personally speaking, I am not a fan.