You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

So what's your opinion on Brett and Hardwicke mate ?

Very good, most enjoyable. I thought that both played the parts very well.

I grew up as a little nipper with Rathbone and Bruce so they will always be the definitive pairing for me.

Friday night, 6pm BBC2 used to look forward to them all week as a kid. Then when the Holmes season ended often it would be followed by a Charlie Chan season, Warner Oland first, then Sidney Toler. I've always loved the old Black and White detective films.

Very good, most enjoyable. I thought that both played the parts very well.

I grew up as a little nipper with Rathbone and Bruce so they will always be the definitive pairing for me.

Friday night, 6pm BBC2 used to look forward to them all week as a kid. Then when the Holmes season ended often it would be followed by a Charlie Chan season, Warner Oland first, then Sidney Toler. I've always loved the old Black and White detective films.

Absolutely.

I couldn't get into / snubbed the Jeremy Brett version until the last couple of years when I caught one on ITV 4 or whatever, and I've gotta say I now think they're ace.

I've been (very slowly) reading the entire Conan Doyle Holmes compendium, over the last few years (!) and I reckon that the Brett adaptations is easily the most accurate and faithful to Conan Doyles stories.

Another thing I always loved about the Rathbone era films though was the endings of those films made during the war; they'd always finish with a brief jingoistic Holmes monolgue.

Was it "The Secret Weapon" where they round up all the Nazi's in the old church ruins, setting Holmes off into his, "This is Britain, Great Britain..." piece ?

These days, he probably sounds like fucking Nick Clegg !

Absolutely.

I couldn't get into / snubbed the Jeremy Brett version until the last couple of years when I caught one on ITV 4 or whatever, and I've gotta say I now think they're ace.

I've been (very slowly) reading the entire Conan Doyle Holmes compendium, over the last few years (!) and I reckon that the Brett adaptations is easily the most accurate and faithful to Conan Doyles stories.

Another thing I always loved about the Rathbone era films though was the endings of those films made during the war; they'd always finish with a brief jingoistic Holmes monolgue.

Was it "The Secret Weapon" where they round up all the Nazi's in the old church ruins, setting Holmes off into his, "This is Britain, Great Britain..." piece ?

These days, he probably sounds like fucking Nick Clegg !

Yeah that's the one! Dr.Tobel the Swiss Scientist had hidden his bomb site plans in a series of musical boxes, it was a very 'War/propoganda' based adaptation and often Holmes would go off on a Jingoistic speech at the end. I think 'In Washington' was another where at the end he and Watson were sat in the back of a Car and Rathbone was giving it his 'This is England...' bit. Quite ironic really as he was an American.

I was the same as you regarding the Brett versions, snubbed them when they were first on, then gave them a chance and really enjoyed them.

Yeah that's the one! Dr.Tobel the Swiss Scientist had hidden his bomb site plans in a series of musical boxes, it was a very 'War/propoganda' based adaptation and often Holmes would go off on a Jingoistic speech at the end. I think 'In Washington' was another where at the end he and Watson were sat in the back of a Car and Rathbone was giving it his 'This is England...' bit. Quite ironic really as he was an American.

I was the same as you regarding the Brett versions, snubbed them when they were first on, then gave them a chance and really enjoyed them.

You know what, I thik the one with the Nazi's in the old church might have been, "Voice of Terror"

Too fucking late now, fucking knackered.

You know what, I thik the one with the Nazi's in the old church might have been, "Voice of Terror"

Too fucking late now, fucking knackered.

Yeah it is, deffo, that was the real Nazi propaganda one.
Great exchange of views there lads. Really enjoyed reading that.

I like anything Holmes related, but Rathbone's the best by a mile.

Anyway, anyone catch last nights episode ? Cant quite put my finger on it, but didn't enjoy it as much as the first.

I like anything Holmes related' date=' but Rathbone's the best by a mile.

Anyway, anyone catch last nights episode ? Cant quite put my finger on it, but didn't enjoy it as much as the first.[/quote']

Aye, I felt exactly the same...probably wasn't helped any by missing the first half hour. I could've sworn the first episode started at 9 o'clock ?

For me at least, the novelty factor surrounding the contemporariness (?!) is wearing very thin, I'm finding the series interesting rather than rivetting; more of a film making exercise than an armchair thriller. The Black Nun. anybody ?

And my main gripe is still Holmes himself; nowhere near sharp enough and less extrovert genius, more public school knob end.

Episode 1 was written by Stephen Moffat. Second one by Stephen Thompson. That may account for the slight drop in quality. I still thoroughly enjoyed it though.

The next one is written by Mark Gatiss who co-created it with Moffat. I have to say that I prefer Gatiss in front of the camera as his Who episodes haven't quite lived up to the ideas he has, but hopefully he'll deliver.

There is a tenuous link between Sherlock Holmes and Jack The Ripper.

One of The Ripper suspects, Robert D'Onston Stephenson, set up shop on Baker Street.

The Pompadour Cosmetique Company was in business in 1888; the time of the Whitechapel murders, and around the time when Conan Doyle was having his Holmes stories published in Strand (I think).

Pompadour Cosmetics, 17 Upper Baker Street - Casebook Forums

There is a tenuous link between Sherlock Holmes and Jack The Ripper.

One of The Ripper suspects, Robert D'Onston Stephenson, set up shop on Baker Street.

The Pompadour Cosmetique Company was in business in 1888; the time of the Whitechapel murders, and around the time when Conan Doyle was having his Holmes stories published in Strand (I think).

Pompadour Cosmetics, 17 Upper Baker Street - Casebook Forums

First off, I agree with the general consensus of opinion, that while still very watchable, Sundays wasn't as good or as rivetting as the first episode. I had expected it to be a 3 parter, not a series of 3 episodes, but it would appear that each episode is stand alone viewing. And yes, the Chinese girl was bonzer, as was the woman (Zoe Telford) that Watson was on a date with, in a cute, English girl type of way.

The Robert D'Onston Stephenson was a real odd character, interested in Black Magic and the whole 9 yards and he was most certainly right in the centre of the crime scenes at the appropriate times. He checked into a Sanitarium under the guise of being a Journalist which was on the same street as the second murder and he checked out the day after. There are a couple of books 'championing' his claim to be Jack The Ripper.

I like anything Holmes related' date=' but Rathbone's the best by a mile.

Anyway, anyone catch last nights episode ? Cant quite put my finger on it, but didn't enjoy it as much as the first.[/quote']

Yeah, bang on Mick, I like anything Holmes and Ripper related but Holmes was and always will be Rathbone to me, he was excellent.

Seems like we will have plenty to gab about when we finally make it out for this pint.

Yeah, bang on Mick, I like anything Holmes and Ripper related but Holmes was and always will be Rathbone to me, he was excellent.

Seems like we will have plenty to gab about when we finally make it out for this pint.

If you lads like a good sleuth / whodunit mixed with a bit of Holmes / Ripperology then you really should read "Ripper" by Michael Slade. A can't underline what a brilliant fucking book this is.

"Michael Slade" is an incredible thriller writer.

We should make the effort for that drink Rob as we live within shouting distance of each other.

On the Ripper. Have you read the "Jack The Ripper Diary" supposedly written by James Maybrick. It's by Shirley Harrison I'm not convinced Maybrick was the Ripper but I am certain it wasn't written by the guy who is credited/accused of writing/forging it.

Maybrick is buried in Anfield Cem. His wife Florence was convicted of his killing by Arsenic poisoning but was later released from jail and returned to America. The book is well worth a read for it's local interest. .

• 2 weeks later...
We should make the effort for that drink Rob as we live within shouting distance of each other.

On the Ripper. Have you read the "Jack The Ripper Diary" supposedly written by James Maybrick. It's by Shirley Harrison I'm not convinced Maybrick was the Ripper but I am certain it wasn't written by the guy who is credited/accused of writing/forging it.

Maybrick is buried in Anfield Cem. His wife Florence was convicted of his killing by Arsenic poisoning but was later released from jail and returned to America. The book is well worth a read for it's local interest. .

Only just seen this reply Mick.

Yeah, we will have to meet for that pint one day soon, it's been a long time in the planning.

I have read that book, many years ago when it surfaced. it was a load of bollocks as I remember, a latter day forgery, although I wasn't aware that Maybrick was buried in our cemetery mind.

What was the general view of the last episode of Sherlock then folks? I thought it was pretty good myself and enjoyed it on the whole.

BBC confirmed it'll be having a second series.

Good news. Any intelligence on when it may be aired Jules? Or just confirmation that it is returning at this stage?

I thought the final episode was pretty gripping and it has real promise if kept to the same standards of writing. If they start tossing them out for the sake of to pander to popularity, then it has the potential to go to shit quite rapidly.

Three more episodes after Xmas of the same length and quality would do me.

Only just seen this reply Mick.

Yeah, we will have to meet for that pint one day soon, it's been a long time in the planning.

I have read that book, many years ago when it surfaced. it was a load of bollocks as I remember, a latter day forgery, although I wasn't aware that Maybrick was buried in our cemetery mind.

What was the general view of the last episode of Sherlock then folks? I thought it was pretty good myself and enjoyed it on the whole.

Forgery ? Yes. By the man accredited to forging it ? No chance.

Yes, Maybricks last resting place is indeed at Anfield cemetery. His gravestone has been vandalised a couple of times though. Don't know why but some strange curiosity led me to go and find it.

I was on the phone for the majority of the last episode of Sherlock, so couldn't really concentrate on it. Will watch it on the i player and report my findings.

Defo up for the drink. Will PM you soon to arrange it.