You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

First one is great popcorn.

I concur the second is a stinker.

I really can't stand them. Directed by a Ritalin-deprived child from the looks of them.

Cumberbitch is OK but the finest Holmes was Jeremy Brett, followed by Clive Merrison and then Basil Rathbone.

• Upvote 1

Oh dear. The Daily Fail's online review of the new episode of Sherlock managed to get both Cumberbatch and Freeman's names wrong.

The Media Blog reports that the review when originally launched featured a picture of Martin Freeman as Watson captioned: "Quieter and more human, as Doctor Watson, Tim Freeman actually upstaged Sherlock's star Dominic Cumberbatch".

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/jan/03/sherlock-review-mail-online-benedict-cumberbatch has screengrabs from the Mail Online before they corrected it.

I really can't stand them. Directed by a Ritalin-deprived child from the looks of them.

Cumberbitch is OK but the finest Holmes was Jeremy Brett, followed by Clive Merrison and then Basil Rathbone.

Robert Stevens was very good in The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes.....and so was Christopher Plummer.

Brett was very good but didn't he develop mental health issues towards the end while playing Holmes?

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I thought it was brilliant. No idea how somebody could think this is 'shit'. Probably best if you don't watch it, fellas.

There were hints of it last week but playing it for laughs is not acceptable. And you thought the plot was thin last week. I'm feeling deeply deeply cheated here

Well, at least we Sky plussed Guy Martin. He'll not let me down

In any series sometimes plot takes a back seat to character development, and tonights was more character driven. I again thoroughly enjoyed it. In turns both funny and genuinely warm considering one of the characters is a traditionally stubborn cold fish.

• Upvote 1

In any series sometimes plot takes a back seat to character development, and tonights was more character driven. I again thoroughly enjoyed it. In turns both funny and genuinely warm considering one of the characters is a traditionally stubborn cold fish.

What I came on to say, but more eloquently put by your good self. Very enjoyable to watch and good performances all around.

I enjoyed it

Episode 1 was always going to heavily focus on his return from the death. Nice to see episode 2 focus on character building.

Do feel that they need to introduce a character in the last two episodes that is a major threat to their lives, which I fully expect now with the news Sherlock broke to Watson and Mary and just two episodes left now.

That's the thing, and here's the thing, "humour" and "character development" ? You what ?? It is Sherlock Holmes, the man is an enigma and he is meant to be so, throughout all of Conan Doyle's stories Holmes is detatched, aloof and mysterious, purposely keeping the reader at arms length, giving the barest minimum away. Holmes' mystique stimulates the curiosity and attraction, drawing the reader in, keeping the reader glued and guessing.

Sunday's episode was like an awkward comedy turn. Again, in my opinion, borderline heresy.

That's the thing, and here's the thing, "humour" and "character development" ? You what ?? It is Sherlock Holmes, the man is an enigma and he is meant to be so, throughout all of Conan Doyle's stories Holmes is detatched, aloof and mysterious, purposely keeping the reader at arms length, giving the barest minimum away. Holmes' mystique stimulates the curiosity and attraction, drawing the reader in, keeping the reader glued and guessing.

Sunday's episode was like an awkward comedy turn. Again, in my opinion, borderline heresy.

That's my take on it too.

I know you haven't liked any of this reworking of Sherlock but at least the first 2 series kept pretty true to character. Last night's abandoned that spirit. At one point I thought he was about to fall for the bridesmaid's flirting. It was entertaining enough but it was not Sherlock Holmes

That's my take on it too.

I know you haven't liked any of this reworking of Sherlock but at least the first 2 series kept pretty true to character. Last night's abandoned that spirit. At one point I thought he was about to fall for the bridesmaid's flirting. It was entertaining enough but it was not Sherlock Holmes

Yup, I agree with that too Champ.

Here's the thing, I keep watching because I am a Holmes fan and I really, really want to get drawn in and like it, but it's just making me evermore frustrated and even angry.

I like Cumberbatch, I reckon he's a really good actor, but he's miscast in this, just not right at all imo.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Was anybody expecting this to be faithful to the Conan Doyle version? It's clearly not meant to be 100% like that. We've had all that a number of times, do we need it again? 

Was anybody expecting this to be faithful to the Conan Doyle version? It's clearly not meant to be 100% like that. We've had all that a number of times, do we need it again? 

No, probably not.

I said right from the very beginning that the fresh, contemporary twist was (and remains) the very best thing about Sherlock. I just think the two principal's are hopelessly miscast and that too many artisitic liberties have been taken with Holmes and Watson. Instead of a fresh homage, Sherlock had degenerated into an awkward pastiche.

I've never seen Johnny Lee Millar and Lucy Liu in the Yankee-fied Elementary, and it's probably for the best ! Think I'll keep it that way eh ?

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I would, mate. He's a heroin addict who is fairly personable. One of the best modern Sherlocks is House, I reckon. Even then, he tended to give a shit every now and then, but only through purity.

• Upvote 1

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Yeah. Couldn't be more Sherlock if he tried. Sherlock with a stethoscope. [HOUSE SPOILER!] He even does-doesn't die in the end as in The Final Problem.

Actually, he's Watson too. 

Yeah. Couldn't be more Sherlock if he tried. Sherlock with a stethoscope. [HOUSE SPOILER!] He even does-doesn't die in the end as in The Final Problem.

Actually, he's Watson too. 

Sorry mate, cannot get past that fucking Godawful Yank accent of his. An abomination to my ears.

Perhaps I've become an elitist telly-fascist.