You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Are these episodes modern adaptations of just the characters or the stories too?

The reason I ask is that the title of series#1 ep# was 'Study in Pink' and a famous Holmes adventure is 'A study in Scarlet.'

Alan Sex was the writer for A Study in Pink. BBC made some alterations from his original draft, though.

Has anyone else seen the unaired pilot? Some who have only seen it aired on broadcast date won't even be aware there was an unaired pilot, but I got it and an interesting and insightful half hour documentary with the creators, Gatiss and Moffat called Unlocking Sherlock, when I downloaded the first series.

Has anyone else seen the unaired pilot? Some who have only seen it aired on broadcast date won't even be aware there was an unaired pilot' date=' but I got it and an interesting and insightful half hour documentary with the creators, Gatiss and Moffat called Unlocking Sherlock, when I downloaded the first series.[/quote']

Didnt know about it...is it still available?

Finally we can let Jeremy Brett fade away...

Utter, utter bollocks.

The Brett / Hardwicke series are easily the most faithful adaptations of Conan Doyles original stories. Easily. Head and shoulders.

I still find this Cumberbatch vision of Holmes as more style over substance. I thought the first series was really poor once all the bells and whistles were stripped away; interesting, nothing more. A real disappointment in fact.

However, I did think Sunday nights series 2 opener was the best yet, although I still find Cumberbatch's Sherlock more of a public school dick head then razor sharp sleuth.

I agree about last night's episode although I remember thinking the same sort of thing about the original movies. Take Holmes out of London sleuthing crims and put him on the moors chasing beasts and what you get does not make up for what you lose.

I disagree about the casting for Moriarty. I find him menacing because he doesn't look like your stereotypical arch baddie. I thought it was inspired casting.

Take Holmes out of London sleuthing crims and put him on the moors chasing beasts and what you get does not make up for what you lose.

Absolutely. He doesnt seem to belong in big open spaces or too much daylight. I was thinking about that when I was writing my previous post. The intensity of the big city and the claustrophobia of his flat are essential parts of the stories

Disappointing. The story did not translate well and lacked the intensity of previous episodes. I agree about the casting of Moriarty. Where is the menace?

It's not Sherlock's most popular story without good reason and it didn't transfer well from gothic to scientific. I'm not sure The Sign of Four would be a wise story to tackle either.

Last was just a bit Scooby Doo. Surprised Gatiss didn't take the gothic chiller route as he's a big horror aficionado, but last night's was a bit (eek) Torchwoodesque.

Has anyone else seen the unaired pilot? Some who have only seen it aired on broadcast date won't even be aware there was an unaired pilot' date=' but I got it and an interesting and insightful half hour documentary with the creators, Gatiss and Moffat called Unlocking Sherlock, when I downloaded the first series.[/quote']

Didnt know about it...is it still available?

You can watch it here

Watch Sherlock - Season 1 Episode 0: Unaired Pilot (A Study in Pink)

Noos kindly lent me his Digital Video Disc of this.

The first episode (a study in pink) was absolutely brilliant. Funny, exciting and well scripted and acted. The second one - the Chinese circus one - was a bit shit, to be blunt. Boring plot, some awful acting and next to no humour.

The third one was quite good, but still nowhere near the heights of the first episode.

I like it, it's ok. But it's not that good.

Champ, sorry I didn't elaborate on the unaired pilot before. Essentially, it's exactly the same title and script as the first episode, but just the settings and scenes are different. Instead of the science lab Sherlock is in the computer room, sending emails to Estrade and his brother Mycroft at the start when Watson is brought in by their mutual acquaintance. It's also shorter by about half an hour.

Champ' date=' sorry I didn't elaborate on the unaired pilot before. Essentially, it's exactly the same title and script as the first episode, but just the settings and scenes are different. Instead of the science lab Sherlock is in the computer room, sending emails to Estrade and his brother Mycroft at the start when Watson is brought in by their mutual acquaintance. It's also shorter by about half an hour.[/quote']

What I was interested in was seeing the documentary you mentioned. Having re-read your original post it looks as if that was separate from the pilot. Happy to watch the pilot though

I like Moriarty and I liked last night's episode. Then again, I also liked the film with Bobby Downey and Jude Law, so where does that put me?

Never been in to Sherlock before, so don't know any of the old stories, but I'm really enjoying these modern adaptations of them.

When the fuck did everyone all become interested in Sherlock Holmes? boll locks Holmes more like.

Grand Admiral Thrawn is actually based on Sherlock Holmes, for that reason alone, I'm in.

"You must submit yourself to Imperial rule, or I shall have no choice but to open hostilities".

I once borrowed that for a chat up line.