You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I recall him being out of position a lot and looking a bit like a rabbit in the headlights to be honest. He's a decent defender at centre back and should look good going forward but I just wasn't convinced at all that he can play there and he had a few goes at it. For me it was a nice idea to try him there but his performances put a cap on that idea.

He was used at left back against:

Hull (A) - 0-0 (Clean sheet)

Chelsea (H) - 0-2 (Not at faoutl for the goals)

Burnley (A) - 0-4 (Clean sheet)

Atletico (A) - 0-1 (Not at fault for the goal)

West Ham (H) - 3-0 (Clean sheet)

Fulham (H) - 0-0 (Clean sheet)

Benfica (H) - 4-1 (Can't remember their goal)

Now this doesn't suggest he was a "rabbit in headlights".

Given we have three other good centre backs, Agger as an option at left back I think should be loo0ked at more as he has all the attributes to be very good in that position - especially defensively.

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He was used at left back against:

Hull (A) - 0-0 (Clean sheet)

Chelsea (H) - 0-2 (Not at faoutl for the goals)

Burnley (A) - 0-4 (Clean sheet)

Atletico (A) - 0-1 (Not at fault for the goal)

West Ham (H) - 3-0 (Clean sheet)

Fulham (H) - 0-0 (Clean sheet)

Benfica (H) - 4-1 (Can't remember their goal)

Now this doesn't suggest he was a "rabbit in headlights".

Given we have three other good centre backs, Agger as an option at left back I think should be loo0ked at more as he has all the attributes to be very good in that position - especially defensively.

Bit of a simplistic way to look at things. Dirk Kuyt scores goals and has plenty of "assists". Doesn't mean he's indispensable and doesn't cost us in other attacks or that he's not liable to miss an open goal in future.

Just because we kept clean sheets it doesn't mean Agger wasn't prone to making a mistake which could cost us.

I don't recall him doing too badly and he could conceivably make a good left back, but it's not guaranteed.

Ofcourse, but just using some stats to back up my opinion.

That's not stats, that's a bunch of match scores. It doesn't tell me anything about Aggers performances. You also seem to think that the fact he didn't make any howlers when he played there in just a handful of games indicates that he's fitted to the role.

Now I watched him play left back in those games and I can tell you he was out of position quite a lot, he looked nervous, he didn't want to carry the ball or get forward, and I saw a player who was not used to and not happy with the role he was playing.

That doesn't mean he can't ever improve and grow some confidence there, but you started this off saying he is "good at left back, particularly defensively".

Sorry, but that's just not what I saw.

That's not stats, that's a bunch of match scores. It doesn't tell me anything about Aggers performances. You also seem to think that the fact he didn't make any howlers when he played there in just a handful of games indicates that he's fitted to the role.

Now I watched him play left back in those games and I can tell you he was out of position quite a lot, he looked nervous, he didn't want to carry the ball or get forward, and I saw a player who was not used to and not happy with the role he was playing.

That doesn't mean he can't ever improve and grow some confidence there, but you started this off saying he is "good at left back, particularly defensively".

Well we will never agree on this it seems.

Duo start - listen live

29th Jul 2010 - Latest News

<!-- end of assets -->

<!-- end of news top --> Martin Skrtel and Daniel Agger return to the Liverpool team for the first time since the World Cup for tonight's Europa League third qualifying round clash with FK Rabotnicki in Macedonia.

spacer.gif

<!-- end of Tagline -->

<!-- end of ArticlePic --><!-- end of RelatedLinks -->

<!-- end of ArticleRight --> The duo are named in Roy Hodgson's first competitive line-up for the Reds, while there are also starts for Sotirios Kyrgiakos, Milan Jovanovic and Alberto Aquilani.

Lucas Leiva captains the side.

Liverpool: Cavalieri, Agger, Kyrgiakos, Skrtel, Kelly, Jovanovic, Lucas, Spearing, Amoo, Aquilani, Ngog. Subs: Gulacsi, Darby, Shelvey, Dalla Valle, Eccleston, Ayala, Ince.

Bang on Zig.