You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Hodgson on Torres

Kopite Pete

Can't be arsed reading the entire thread, but if Torres wants to fuck off then so be it. Get as much as possible for him then let him sit on Chelsea's/Man City's/Barcelona's bench for 60% of the season.

If he wants to play for us then come out and say it. I'm sick of shit like this.

He shouldn't have to. For me, coming out with a statement fuels media speculation...

So Hicks is still looking for new investment. FFS. Doesn't sound as if the club is about to be sold and the 4 or 5 quality players needed are on their way in. Can't blame anyone for not wanting to stay really.

If he goes, good luck to him. If he stays, great, but I won't be getting too excited about the signing of two free transfers and a £2M kid while £10M (Yossi and Insua) goes out with further transfers out mooted (Riera, Mascher, ?Lucas, ?Babel).

Maybe, but after two days and still no "I'm staying" so he obviously is still no closer staying.

He obviously feels very strongly about it. He's made comments about our cunts owners putting their hand in their fucking pockets to bring quality players a few times last season.

He's seen several players sold already this summer and no fucking money spent apart from a measly £2m for Wilson (even if we paid all of that up front) and whatever the signing on fee was for Cole. He also knows Masch is fucking off too.

He has every right to question what the fuck is going on with our cunt owners, as we all do. Like all of us, there is still fuck all investment in our squad going into a brand new season. If he's being told no more players will be signing until Masch and others are sold, then he probably won't want to hang around.

It didn't take pepe long long to tell us his feelings after rafa left.

Same with Torres. He said he had nothing but respect for Rafa at the same time or just after the Reina statement. The media and anti-Rafa sites like TLW ignored that and went with his later statement that it was probably best for all concerned because Rafa had won everything and they had asked too much of him last year. I think he made that later statement after talking to Rafa - they talk once a week - and after considering that Rafa's leaving also gives him, Torres, an out if he wants it.

What assurances does he want or expect to get though? He must know the club is for sale, so he'll just have sit tight, give us at least another season, see where the club is at...or just fuck off now. Is it any more complicated than that?

I'm sure he's seen, heard and been promised all of that before and seen fuck all happen. We are also no longer guaranteed to finish in the top four.

He left his hometown club to come to us and we haven't looked like competing, nevermind winning a trophy since his first season with us. We've gone into terrible decline since and he's no closer to winning a trophy with us.

Surely you can understand this?

I'm sure he's seen, heard and been promised all of that before and seen fuck all happen. We are also no longer guaranteed to finish in the top four.

He left his hometown club to come to us and we haven't looked like competing, nevermind winning a trophy since his first season with us. We've gone into terrible decline since and he's no closer to winning a trophy with us.

Surely you can understand this?

We finished second 14 months ago.

What assurances does he want or expect to get though? He must know the club is for sale, so he'll just have sit tight, give us at least another season, see where the club is at...or just fuck off now. Is it any more complicated than that?

I would think anyone sane would expect action rather than assurances. If he has a problem (that is still an if), it can be solved by signings that have been promised by our money men and owners.

Daily Fail at it as well:

Mourinho begs Real Madrid to make £30m bid for Gerrard | Mail Online

Mourinho begs Real to make £30million bid for Gerrard - and that could seal Torres fate

By BOB CASS and LEO SPALL Last updated at 11:29 PM on 24th July 2010

Jose Mourinho is ready to make one last-ditch attempt to sign Steven Gerrard.

The Real Madrid coach is trying to persuade the Bernabeu hierarchy to offer the £30million required to prise the England captain from Liverpool.

Spanish sources indicate that Mourinho is a long way from giving up on the midfielder and his renewed interest is another problem for Roy Hodgson, who admitted last night that he can do no more to keep striker Fernando Torres.

New boss Hodgson coaxed Gerrard into publicly committing his future to Liverpool last week, but he insists that issues with the debt-laden club are what have prevented Torres following suit.

Liverpool's ability to compete for trophies is at the heart of the problem and that is likely to be highlighted by Javier Mascherano, who is expected to demand a move to Inter Milan this week.

As the club's pre-season tour ended with a 1-0 defeat by Kaiserslautern in Germany yesterday, Hodgson is fighting fires that are not of his making. He has walked into the problems left by Rafael Benitez and his sacking, so it is ironic that the Spaniard's most bitter rival in English football should create another headache.

Mourinho, who repeatedly clashed with former Liverpool boss Benitez when he was in charge at Chelsea, has long been an admirer of Gerrard.

The Real Madrid manager's revived interest is almost a repeat of what happened six years ago, when an apparently disenchanted Gerrard looked set for a move to Chelsea.

But the England star decided to stay at Anfield after a discussion with Benitez who took over from Gerard Houllier.

Mourinho has again done nothing to quell speculation linking him with Gerrard, who tops his wish list.

He hopes to show Real president Florentino Perez the value of making Gerrard a notable exception to the Spanish club's normal practice of recruiting younger players.

If successful, it would be devastating to Hodgson, whose three-week reign has been beset by problems.

Gerrard is critical to Liverpool's chances of even moderate success because of the message it would send out if he was sold.

Hodgson would find it virtually impossible to replace the homegrown skipper and his sale would also certainly seal Torres's exit into the bargain.

'I've had a meeting with Fernando but there's not much more I can say,' said the former Fulham manager. 'If he has got problems with the club about things that happened in the past, then it's difficult for me to dismiss that.

'His situation has got nothing to do with me and he made that clear on the phone during the World Cup and when I met him face-to-face.

'I can't do much more than let him know that, like every Liverpool fan, I would like him to stay and would love to work with him.

'It's now for the club to satisfy him in whatever way they need to.'

Managing director Christian Purslow has been in Majorca trying to convince Torres and his representatives that the club did not oversell their ambitions last year when they persuaded him to sign a new deal until 2013.

Hodgson insists the meetings have been 'more positive than negative' but he also admitted that is no indication of the outcome.No wonder Hodgson insisted he had not yet lifted the air of gloom around Anfield last week.

He may have pulled off a coup by signing free agent Joe Cole on a free transfer from Chelsea but having uncertainty surrounding the futures of Torres, Mascherano and Gerrard again puts him on the backfoot.

Liverpool are also short of a recognised left-back three weeks before the start of the Premier League season, so the headache of having to play the season's first competitive game on Thursday is one Hodgson could do without.

Liverpool face a gruelling trip to Macedonia to play FK Rabotnicki in the third qualifying round of the Europa League and potential fatigue is sure to be a worry ahead of the domestic campaign.

i was honestly thinking that Gerrard declaring himself staying would persuade Torres to stay another season - but now i don't know

if Torres went to Chelsea that would be a proper sickener :(

Some people dont get it

This goes back to the European championships when Torres talked about signing a Mata or Silva and we ended up with Roy Keane, he obviously sought assurances when he signed the new contract which he was given go them only to turn out to be a pack of lies.

If I was Torres and not a born and bred LFC fan id be off and tell them where to stick it.

Some people dont get it

This goes back to the European championships when Torres talked about signing a Mata or Silva and we ended up with Roy Keane

Fuck me I've got to cut back on the drinking. we signed Roy Keane and I missed it!

Hmmm, well if the quotes from RH are being correctly reported then Torres is unhappy (understandably) and we are trying to persuade him to stay. Unfortunately a lot of the reasons SG would stay don't apply to Torres. This one is too hard to call - it could go either way at this stage.

I just hope if he leaves we will be able to make adequate signings in the remainder of the window. Bit worrying.

i don't want to come across as naive here but it has been said that investment is not far away, even Carra's brother has been shooting his mouth off saying it could happen as soon as next friday(probably bollocks).

I've also heard (again could be bollocks, who knows?) that purslow is not only in spain to chat with nando, but he's first and foremost there to talk to a club about a transfer of a player. Nobody i've spoken to has a clue about who that player may be but many seem to be convinced that it's Aguero.

They reckon Torres wants this deal to go through before he'll commit himself to staying.

sounds like a load of old gash to me but here's to hoping, eh?

i don't want to come across as naive here but it has been said that investment is not far away, even Carra's brother has been shooting his mouth off saying it could happen as soon as next friday(probably bollocks).

I've also heard (again could be bollocks, who knows?) that purslow is not only in spain to chat with nando, but he's first and foremost there to talk to a club about a transfer of a player. Nobody i've spoken to has a clue about who that player may be but many seem to be convinced that it's Aguero.

They reckon Torres wants this deal to go through before he'll commit himself to staying.

sounds like a load of old gash to me but here's to hoping, eh?

Where do you get stuff like that from? It sounds like bullshit. I wish it were true....