You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I was in Barbados in Februrary and did a tour of the Mount Gay distillery. Have a bottle upstairs that I haven't opened yet. 

I've been, too

Got 2 bottles of the Black barrel which I later smashed in a bout of drunken foolishness

If it hadn't been for the glass shards I would have licked the ground

You can fuck off as well. I started a thread about something noone has mentioned since 2000andfuckin8. and am being berated for it.

Good job I am mellow and sucking Rum baby because if this was a vodka thread I would be all over your arses.

Bacardi is boss.

• 8 months later...

Just bought a bottle of Admiral Mr J Cherry spiced rum. Smells a bit sweet and very much like a bottle of cherryade mixed with rum. 

Im off for two weeks from Tuesday so may report back. Or not depending on how it goes

7 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

Mount Gay is where it's at. 

Yeah no arguments from me. 

First proper rum I had. Had some Indian rum(old Monk) loved it. Came back home bought a bottle of mount gay and realise how fucking rough the Indian rim was

I love rum, me. It's a shame I can't drink much as we currently have half a dozen bottles in the house, mostly bought as gifts - including a Havana 7 and some sensational 20 year aged Dominican limited edition (can't remember the brand) that is so good it's only allowed out on special occasions for gently sipping or for making Old Fashioneds.

2 hours ago, Karl_b said:

I love rum, me. It's a shame I can't drink much as we currently have half a dozen bottles in the house, mostly bought as gifts - including a Havana 7 and some sensational 20 year aged Dominican limited edition (can't remember the brand) that is so good it's only allowed out on special occasions for gently sipping or for making Old Fashioneds.

I thought old fashioneds were made with Bourbon? 

The Dominican Republic one isn't called Pumpkin head is it? 

Not rum but I went las iguanas with my missus and she ordered a cocktail called smoking plums. It tasted like pure gasoline, I made her drink it all because it wasn't cheap and it was great, she was crying and taking deep breaths, holding her nose and whimpering "why isn't it going down" "I can't drink it.. I cant". " you bloody will that cost 12 quid!.... another brahma please"

Sometimes cocktails are worth the price.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Remmie said:

I thought old fashioneds were made with Bourbon? 

The Dominican Republic one isn't called Pumpkin head is it? 

Yes, a "proper" old fashioned is whisky/bourbon but rum is a suitable alternative.

No. It's some distillery's 'Gran Reserva'. I could go to the garage and look but I can't be arsed.

11 minutes ago, Karl_b said:

Yes, a "proper" old fashioned is whisky/bourbon but rum is a suitable alternative.

No. It's some distillery's 'Gran Reserva'. I could go to the garage and look but I can't be arsed.

Think I'd prefer your old fashioned to be fair. 

Think Pumpkin head might have been a 28 year aged rum now I come to think of it. Love rum. 

10 minutes ago, Nunavut Patrick said:

Brugal  perhaps.

Nope, it's not a commonly seen brand. I love Brugal though, the Anejo and 1888 editions are splendid. About 12 years ago my sister-in-law brought me a small bottle of a limited edition back from the Brugal distillery in the Dominican. Best rum I've ever tasted.