You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Is everybody buying into the optimism generated by the Joe Cole signing?

LFC Ultra

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Given Cole’s appalling injury record, I just cannot see this happening. Injuries get worse as you get older, that’s a fact and I think Joe playing in 20 games is a more realistic target and at 90k a week that is not good enough.

A well-reasoned post. I don't agree with all your asides but your main point is solid. Cole has always been "promising" but has never fully delivered. Ferguson was his biggest admirer but never tried to buy him. His injury record is a worry. His 90,000 a week will start looking bad if he suffers another long injury.

But beggars can't be choosers. He is potentially better than Yoshi but only marginally so.

Cole's "LFC is the biggest club in the world" PR offensive is silly. He must think LFC supporters are so emotionally needy that they've lost their minds.

We've sold one player (Benayoun) and replaced him with a better one. One has to allow oneself some pleasure at this.

It was this simple principle that played a big part in our success during the 70s & 80s.

I think you are mistaking the 'wave of relief' for a 'tsunami of optimism'.

Such a bleak picture had been painted in some quarters by those who certainly don't suffer from an abundance of optimism, that some people are simply responding as if they had just been told they had a stay of execution. Is there any reason to be frustrated with another supporters perception of hope?

You wouldn't get these swings to be fair if some of the pessimists didn't over-egg the pudding in the first place.

"It was this simple principle that played a big part in our success during the 70s & 80s".

Maybe so, but fucknell get a grip, swap john moores for Hicks, Purslow for John Smith, Hodson for take your pick....

Things are a lot different Dorothy, were not in Kansas (Texas maybe) any more.

Why just for once wouldn't you look on the bright side? How can you claim that Maxi is past his past if he's 28 this is the age when footballer generally peak isn't it? I mean he was Atleti captain and a regular for Argentina so he can't be that bad. As for the rest, if Bayern and Inter can keep Robben and Sneijder fit for almost whole season and both had very successful season I'm pretty sure that a good medical staff/physio and fitness coaces at LFC can do that too.

I do agree with the overall point of the OP, but I think it's overly pessimistic. The club is clearly working very hard with it's PR this summer to try and make the fanbase more optimistic. We're not doomed though. Well not on the pitch anyway. Joe Cole is a great signing and Jovanovic looks decent enough. Arguably we'll miss Yossi, but Riera is no great loss. I think we're a better side for the changes that have been rung in so far.

Don't get the hostility in some of the responses.

For what it's worth I agree with your views on Cole. Never understood the hype, all I can remember is one goal in the World Cup. The injury record is shocking as well. With Torres, Aquilani, Cole and Gerrard's recent injury records, we're very fragile up front again.

Jovanovic, everytime I've seen him play has been just about average. Hopefully he'll raise his game with us, but I'm not excited about his signing.

So for me it's been about what I expected in terms of transfers. I'm a little bummed that we've let Insua go as well, as I feel he would have improved a lot after his travails last season.

Hopefully we'll get one top class player with the Mascherano money.

So no, I'm not sipping the kool aid at the moment either.

I pretty much agree with you on everything apart from your Insua argument. He was piss poor last season, looked like he used to eat 20 pies a day, and I'm glad we've seen the back of him.

I'm not very optimistic about Hodgson either. The PR machine has been at full swing and you'd think he's won us the title by the reactions of some on here. He's no Mourinho or Hiddink. He's just a journeyman who's had two seasons of success in a mediocre club. I just hope he'll be given some money to invest in the squad, seeing as our last three signings have been free.

At risk of alienating myself from the rest of the forum, I just cannot buy into this wave of optimism that has hit Anfield like a Tsunami. Our last 3 signings have been on a free. Rodriguez is well passed his sell buy date, Jovanovic potentially up there with the Voronin’s and Sean Dundee’s of the footballing world and now 28 year old enigma, Joe Cole. If your paying a footballer a colossal 90k a week, to be deemed a success you would expect him to play 30+ games a season. Given Cole’s appalling injury record, I just cannot see this happening. Injuries get worse as you get older, that’s a fact and I think Joe playing in 20 games is a more realistic target and at 90k a week that is not good enough. I am no soothsayer and haven’t got the benefit of hindsight, it’s just my humble opinion based on his past injury record.

The spin doctors have been at work all week and Joe Cole has obviously been well versed on what makes the fans tick, hence his pro ‘Liverpool history’ press release. He appears to be a decent lad who is making all the right noises.

Personally, I think Joe Cole has been over hyped for years, in fact right from the very start. I distinctly remember hearing that West Ham had a breaking out of the youth team player who was going to rate with Best and Gazza as the UKs greatest ever talent.

He has never been up there with them nor dozens of the overseas superstars. He is symptomatic of our talent drought since 1991 when Gazza wrecked himself. That we produce one player who relies on something other than ' a great engine' and hes the new Best. What toss.

He’s a better than average premiership player and not without talent, that’s for sure, but in my opinion he has never realised his full potential and at 28, I doubt he is about to. He can’t take a game by scruff of its neck and change a result a la Gazza. He’s not got Stevie G's dynamism and lung busting capacity ( when arsed), he doesn’t score like Scholes or Lampard and he is way off Hoddle or Le Tissier in terms of craft. Hes not a patch talent wise on 70s piss artists like Hudson, Worthington, Marsh, Currie, Bowles in fact Id say hes a very poor mans version of those guys, a bit of flair and guile but thats it .. a bit not an abundance.

More alarmingly, Chelsea, the current league champions didn’t want him. Don’t give me that nonsense about contracts. If they wanted him, they would have signed him, that’s for sure. The truth is, the manager didn’t fancy him, even when fit. Arsenal and Spurs wouldn’t pay him, Man City couldn’t guarantee him first team footie and West Ham was a backward step at this point in his career. Capello wouldn’t even pick him for the worst performing England team for many years. What is everybody else seeing that we are not, that is the million dollar question? We will find out this forthcoming season that is for sure.

Given our current status and the events of the past 12 months, optimism is long overdue at our club. But let’s not get carried away and make the same mistake of raising expectation levels as we have in the past. We have to get behind the manager and the players but don’t think Joe Cole is going to be the saviour or the missing piece of the jig-saw.

Liverpool can be top 4 but need the whole squad to operate for a full season completely unscathed, especially the elite player’s. We need a damn site more than Joe to challenge for the holy grail, though thus far MU haven’t improved last seasons side ( poor by their recent vintage) , CFC i don’t think are great either and Arsenal are the poor mans Spain all tasty touches but lacking the ruthless streak.

All in all I predict a pretty mediocre up coming season. Man City are maybe the side that could shake up the tedium and hopefully Liverpool can better 7th place and maybe, just maybe, challenge for top four. Fingers crossed and Yanks out!

what a load of bullshit this is.

its not jsut the fact we've signed joe cole, its the speed at which out new manager is making signings and getting rid of shit players that rafa left us with.

i have looked over some of your other posts and you are clearly a rafa lover and its obvious what your trying to do here.

almost all your posts defended rafa like he was a god and now your upset he's gone....just get behind roy hey?

or fuck off and go and support inter milan.

we have a new manager who is amking big changes and fast, and the knowledgeable liverpool fans are loving it, becuase they know it was needed.

by the way dont you fucking watch football? jovanovic looked awesome in the world cup yet you compare him to sean dundee?

go fuck yourself.

its not jsut the fact we've signed joe cole, its the speed at which out new manager is making signings and getting rid of shit players that rafa left us with.

i have looked over some of your other posts and you are clearly a rafa lover and its obvious what your trying to do here.

almost all your posts defended rafa like he was a god and now your upset he's gone....just get behind roy hey?

we have a new manager who is amking big changes and fast, and the knowledgeable liverpool fans are loving it, becuase they know it was needed.

by the way dont you fucking watch football? jovanovic looked awesome in the world cup yet you compare him to sean dundee?

go fuck yourself.

A couple of suggestions.

) Go back, read his post properly and respond in a manner that is not deemed 'Acting the Tool'

2) Kindly do one. You have in 40 posts, after waiting a year to start posting, put yourself at the top end of the table of gobshites. Well done.

Thank you for reading.

go fuck yourself.

Fucking hell. Did you lose your Phil Collins cd or something?

A couple of suggestions.

) Go back, read his post properly and respond in a manner that is not deemed 'Acting the Tool'

2) Kindly do one. You have in 40 posts, after waiting a year to start posting, put yourself at the top end of the table of gobshites. Well done.

Thank you for reading.

thank you for replying

i dont need to read his post the title said it all.

we have had enough doom and gloom and the moment we get a little lift we have some idiotic fans trying to bring it all down.

these same fans are the ones who got behind rafa like he was a saint, yet when a new guy comes in they dont have the same optimism?

makes no sense at all....

we are already ahead from the days of rafa's ego filled 5 years.

Fucking hell. Did you lose your Phil Collins cd or something?

lol

just pisses me off when i hear people being so negative towards what the new man is doing.

as liverpool fans we were all as low as we could have been for 12 months, this signing gave us all a life.....abit of hope.....

yet we have pricks trying to bring it all down....

thank you for replying

i dont need to read his post the title said it all.

we have had enough doom and gloom and the moment we get a little lift we have some idiotic fans trying to bring it all down.

just pisses me off when i hear people being so negative towards what the new man is doing.

as liverpool fans we were all as low as we could have been for 12 months, this signing gave us all a life.....abit of hope.....

yet we have pricks trying to bring it all down....

So basically, a fellow fans opinion that happens to disagree with yours is enough to kill your mood and bring it all down?

Should make for interesting viewing at the very least.

I'm certainly not convinced by the signing itself for reasons posted elsewhere, but it is positive that the club can attract someone of Cole's ilk IMO.

I'm certianly more positive than I was at the end of May but nothing to get carried away about...

Other positive is that at least we're finally getting rid of some dross too...

go fuck yourself.

The OP's position was reasonably argued. Your post is not, as has been the case with anything I've had the misfortune to read written by you.

Speaking of Joe Cole, I found this bitterness amusing:

Article - Blue Tinted - Unofficial Chelsea FC Website

Joe Cole moves to “Real Club” from Plastic one

Well, that is according to Neil “Razor” Ruddock, who stated as much on Radio 5 Live the morning after Joe Cole announced he was signing for Liverpool.

Razor has always shown signs of being limited intellectually, so I thought it might be worth thinking about how he defines a “Real Club”

Would it be one that has the excitement of the Europa Cup to look forward to next season?

Would it be one that hasn’t won the English Championship in the last 20 years?

Would it be one that hasn’t won a trophy of any description for 4 years? (Can you imagine how Chelsea fans would now be feeling if we hadn’t won a trophy in 4 years?)

If so, well, that is about as real as it gets.

In all seriousness, it irritates me that dimwits such as Ruddock can be allowed to spout such nonsense on National Radio, egged on by the scouse presenter. I know it’s just a loudmouth has been, desperate to get any media coverage he can, and shouldn’t be taken seriously, but, views spouted on National Radio can help reinforce such views as held by the man in the street, and generally cause me to have more arguments in my local boozer as a result!

Oh dear, and then Joe Cole falls into the “pay homage to Liverpool's fans” trap, their media (e.g. BBC) set for all new signings. Why is it that Liverpool fans demand they be told they are the best when a player signs? It’s like they are a stumbling toddler seeking approval for being able to walk in a straight line. My view is that it’s an insecurity thing, given their relative lack of success in the last 5 years or so, meaning they have to seek reassurance they are still a big club etc.

The pity is, and Joe probably isn’t sharp enough to realise this, that by implication he is saying the Stamford Bridge crowd isn’t up to the same standards. For a player that received the same level of adoration as Frank and JT and more than the likes of Didi, Big Pete, Makelele and Mickey Ess, despite his contribution being somewhat less than theirs, I feel he should have shown us a bit more respect, and certainly in my eyes he has blotted his copybook.

Another thing he should consider is how likely is it that when he retires, he will be able to look back at his career and say that his period at Liverpool was his most successful and satisfying? Three premier leagues titles, three FA Cups, two League Cups, a Champions League Final, and a Player of the Year award, all for the club he supported as a boy, is what he has achieved at Chelsea - in other words, phenomenal success.

For a 28 year old, Liverpool are going to have to improve drastically in a very short space of time for him to come anywhere near that level of achievement, and in all likelihood will fall some way short. I have no doubt in my mind that in 10 years time he will look back on his time at Chelsea, as the high point of his career, and Chelsea will be the club he will feel most associated with, especially as he was a boyhood supporter. Maybe he should think about that and choose his words more judiciously from here on in.

I won’t boo him when he returns to Stamford Bridge, but I am certainly not going to be singing his name either. Pity.

The Liquidator.