You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sounds like exactly what it was. A selection of seniors unlikely to get much game time in the season proper, together with youngsters in the same situation. Just as last summer, and the summer before that, and the summer...

The only pre-season where the players looked sharp and hungry was summer 2008. They went unbeaten throughout pre-season, even winning 4-0 at Rangers, and carried that unbeatable mentality into the season proper. It's one of the big reasons why the team lost so few games in 2008/09. Last summer was the reverse, but the effect was the same. Pre-season form and confidence (or lack thereof) carried into the season proper.

But let's not get too carried away.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even though the two games have been shite it's been good to see some reserve players I knew nothing of before them. If another two reserves games were being played with them in it next I'd watch them too, as I'd prefer to know more about each player. It always bugs me when a player makes a start for our first team and I have no clue who he is, so at least the chances of that happening have dropped quite a bit.

Am now wondering how Amoo, Eccleston and Ince would do if played with our first teamers. With a bit of decent service/better players on the end of passes they could do well. I don't buy the thing about all of them bar Kelly and Ayala/etc, being shit either. Haven't seen enough of Dalla Valle to say the same, but hopefully will do in future.

I didn't watch the game so how did Jovanovic play...

You couldn't really tell as supply to him was pretty much starved.

Based on the 2 pre seasons we have seen, i think there are kids that can add depth to our squad. Think for our Europa game if we can, play this.

============Cavalieri============

Degen=======Soto=====Ayala=====Kelly

Amoo=====Aquilani=====Lucas===Jovanovic

==========Ngog===Ecclestone=======

Based on the 2 pre seasons we have seen, i think there are kids that can add depth to our squad. Think for our Europa game if we can, play this.

============Cavalieri============

Degen=======Soto=====Ayala=====Kelly

Amoo=====Aquilani=====Lucas===Jovanovic

==========Ngog===Ecclestone=======

You seem to have made a fatal mistake... (the rest looks good though.)

Think we're unlikely to cup tie Degen if we're wanting to sell him.

Also think Roy will choose to go against the medical teams advice, and will play a few 1st teamers. Contrary to some opinion I think it's hugely unlikely that Roy will be allowed to even contemplate sacrificing The UEFA Cup for domestic comps.

Looking forward to this game.

Hopefully we'll get to see the debuts for Cole and Jovanovic.

Is this game only on E-season ticket on LFC TV?

no it wasnt i watched it live on foreign sat it was on a german channel astra sat 19 east ;)

and free to air

I'd just like to know why we were so negative in a friendly game like that? No one from the full back position or the centre of midfield looked to get forward, at all. I don't really give a fuck about individual performances. It would just be nice for a change to see a Liverpool side attacking the opposition from the off you know. Because if Roy is going to be this cautious in a meaningless friendly....? People want to see us start playing some football Roy. Not more of the same.

It'll get better, I know that, but even when we do have everyone back, I want to see us playing good, positive football.

Because if Roy is going to be this cautious in a meaningless friendly....?

When he's got the first team surely he'll be a lot less cautious as he'll have confidence in them. Being cautious in these games actually makes sense, because if not he could've had a rout on his hands. That's not exactly going to make people feel too good with him being new in the job.

Also think Roy will choose to go against the medical teams advice, and will play a few 1st teamers. Contrary to some opinion I think it's hugely unlikely that Roy will be allowed to even contemplate sacrificing The UEFA Cup for domestic comps.

Awk very true. Yeah simple error replace him with darby and put darby on the left.

Pretty boring gme but it was usual pre-season stuff, no need to over ract one way or the other. The few things that stuck out for me...Kelly looks almost the finished article already, Ince did ok when he came on. It took me till the 26th min to realize Jovanovich was even playing...and even in a team full of reserves and kids, Lucas looks like a shockingly bad player...

Its always disappointing to lose but it was good experience for the players and gives Roy a chance to see them in competitive action. Like it or not these players are the 2nd team. They need to gel and granted it may not be pretty at the moment but the season has to start somewhere. No points lost. End of.

Just finished watching the game after avoiding the result.

Not the worst of results. Sounds strange i know but it was our reserves against a bundesliga side. I thought before the game they'd do well to get a draw.

Some bright signs from the youngsters again. My only fault on it was seeing Ayala have a bit of a mare for a while, he recovered well enough from this though.

At the end of the day, it's all about fitness at this stage.

Well played again Woy, I am so excited about the exciting football were gonna see under you now Rafa has gone and after watching you with Fulham there's nothing that suggests we won't be playing like Brazil this season.

Ronnie 38 is that your age or IQ? It was basically a mix of reserves and youngsters nothing to get carried away about.

The most interesting thing for me was to see how Roy wants us to play. I think we are nailed on to go for a classic 4-4-2 which is also how he set up Fulham most often. I'm guessing that will see Kuyt partnering Torres unless we get someone better in, Maxi on the right and Gerrard in midfield with either Lucas, Aquilani or the replacement for Masch.

Yesterday we sat deep when defending and played very direct which is how Roy has set up his teams earlier in his career - at least in Copenhagen it was pretty much the same. I really hope that when we get the real first team out there, we get a bit more positive and ambitious both in possession and when pressing the opposition. Roy's comments after the game that we should have passed the ball better is encouraging in this regard.

There's nothing to suggest Hodgson will play attacking football. Don't know why people expect him to, when his other teams never did.

That was why I didn't want him in to begin with. But we can hope that having better players than the opposition in 90 percent of the games makes him a bit more willing to commit to attacking football.

I think its less likely we will sell him to a club playing in europe :D

seriously how bad has he looked in the last 2 friendlies? if we dont sell him/cant sell him i would consider buying his contract out and releasing him he offers nothing at all kelly/derby alot better options