You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Squad for sale - years to recover Rafa's damage

coop

There isn't much we didn't know already although it is surprising to read most of the players are for sale.

There are some serious shite in this group:

Lucas Leiva, David Ngog, Sotirios Kyrgiakos, Damien Plessis, Charles Itandje, Diego Cavalieri, Phillip Degen, Nabil El Zhar, Babel, Skrtel.

We all know about Kuyt. Maxi will need some more time and god knows whether Aquilani is shite or good.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There isn't much we didn't know already although it is surprising to read most of the players are for sale.

There are some serious shite in this group:

Lucas Leiva, David Ngog, Sotirios Kyrgiakos, Damien Plessis, Charles Itandje, Diego Cavalieri, Phillip Degen, Nabil El Zhar, Babel, Skrtel.

We all know about Kuyt. Maxi will need some more time and god knows whether Aquilani is shite or good.

Ngog is a young lad who had to lead the line on his own in the absence of Torres, is he a world beater? No. Should he be at his age considering what we paid for him? No.

The Greek? £1.5m

Cavaleiri is a decent keeper and well get a few quid back on him.

Skrtl had a poor season. Neither as good or as bad as some will make him out to be.

Same for Lucas.

That leaves Babel, Plessis, Intandje, Dagan and El Zhar.

Take Babel out and what did they cost?

As much shite in your post as the original article.

Ngog is a young lad who had to lead the line on his own in the absence of Torres, is he a world beater? No. Should he be at his age considering what we paid for him? No.

The Greek? £1.5m

Cavaleiri is a decent keeper and well get a few quid back on him.

Skrtl had a poor season. Neither as good or as bad as some will make him out to be.

Same for Lucas.

That leaves Babel, Plessis, Intandje, Dagan and El Zhar.

Take Babel out and what did they cost?

As much shite in your post as the original article.

Keep believing Lucas, Cavaleiri, Kuyt, Babel etc are good enough for LFC. And if you include Aquilani and the purchase of Keane, we have thrown away serious amount of money.

But yeah, keep saying the truth is shite.

Yes, we're going to sell almost all of our squad, next season we're going to trial a cunning new 2-3-1 formation.

Goal.com, have they ever written anything that's turned out to be true? I'm still waiting for Joe Cole to finalise his transfer to Arsenal after they exclusively revealed he'd signed a pre-contract with them.

Does anyone really think a source at Liverpool spoke to Goal.com? It seems to me they've raided the internet forums for all the arguments going on, and just cobbled this together, with a slant against Benitez.

Me too.

funny thing is is if they just left it at most of the squad are up for sale i don't think anyone would have batted an eyelid. there's hardly a player on our books who hasn't been linked with a move away from the club this summer. while some if it might be unwanted attention for our better players, i would imagine most is generated by either our club, the clubs agents or agents representing the players. I've been saying a while, it's clear there's a lot up for sale - we won't sell them all, but I think there's been a decision made it doesn't really matter who we keep outside of the obvious half dozen. the rest are reasonably easily replaceable.

It makes some point, because Benitez made a lot of poor signings from 2007 onwards when it comes to the squad, but he was also hamstrung by the owners. I see there's little to no mention of that.

i don't know if this has been mentioned before but the owners did not hold a gun to Rafa's head to sign the likes of Lucas and Babel for example

Rafa's errors in the transfer market are all his own doing - regardless of funds made available

funny thing is is if they just left it at most of the squad are up for sale i don't think anyone would have batted an eyelid. there's hardly a player on our books who hasn't been linked with a move away from the club this summer. while some if it might be unwanted attention for our better players, i would imagine most is generated by either our club, the clubs agents or agents representing the players. I've been saying a while, it's clear there's a lot up for sale - we won't sell them all, but I think there's been a decision made it doesn't really matter who we keep outside of the obvious half dozen. the rest are reasonably easily replaceable.

Bingo. "rest are reasonably easily replaceable" really nails it.

Now, I'm far from a member of the Rafalutionary Guard, but even i can recognise that article is a pile of nonsense, to put it politely, that holds little basis in fact.

The only truth in it concerns the exorbitant fees we have been paying agents (although this only highlights the contradiction as to why Macia remains in post...)

I'm no Benitez fan but that article is wee bit unfair, but what i will say is in last two years of Rafa's reign he was nothing short of woeful in the transfer market and did blow money and we have been left with several average to below average players that are a drain of the clubs finances without being productive signings for the club. But yes article is bit one sided.

Keep believing Lucas, Cavaleiri, Kuyt, Babel etc are good enough for LFC. And if you include Aquilani and the purchase of Keane, we have thrown away serious amount of money.

But yeah, keep saying the truth is shite.

Keane is shite and I said so when we were first linked with him and when Rafa signed him. But I'd never have a bad word to say about the great one would I?!

Cavalieri is a far more decent back up keeper than 90% of the sides in the league.

Kuyt has been a 'good' player for us. Is he what I would ideally like? No. Can I appreciate his contribution to the club? Of course I can. Only a twat wouldn't.

That leaves Babel and Lucas.

Babel has been shite and Rafa's worst signing in my opinion.

Lucas is a scapegoat and neither as bad or as good as arguing parties try to make out.

Remember the phrase? 'He's gone' get over it'.

Is there anyone at all who takes anything on Goal.com slightly seriously? A source in Liverpool undoubtedly means they just asked one of their bloggers 25 miles away from Liverpool what they thought.

Goal.com once stated that Fray Bentos was the president of Cuba and that Milli Vanilli were to be the judges on the xfactor but one was already dead!

Make of that what you will

i don't know if this has been mentioned before but the owners did not hold a gun to Rafa's head to sign the likes of Lucas and Babel for example

Rafa's errors in the transfer market are all his own doing - regardless of funds made available

Yes, and at the same time, our rivals are spending 17 million each on players like Nani and Anderson

Are we competing for the same things, or aren't we?

Lucas and Babel were the top rated youngsters of Brazil and Holland when we bought them

Well... They are and they aren't... The overall problems aren't rafa's fault, but rafa wasted an incredible amount of money, and not just on shit transfers.

.... but still less than our rivals who did win the league.

I would love to see how cheap any manager can be and still win anything

BTW, all the players except for Cole that we have signed so far, were linked to us before Rafa was sacked. (Cole wasn't a free agent yet when Rafa was here)

So trying to play Roy as some sort of genius on the transfer market is premature, as most of the transfers so far have been out of his hands.

Remember the phrase? 'He's gone' get over it'.

Funny that, I haven't mentioned Rafa once but you did and then I need to "get over it".

At any case, I agree with you. He is gone and we have some shite in the squad.

Just for the record, I would have said the same thing if it was any other manager and not Rafa.