You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Squad for sale - years to recover Rafa's damage

coop

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you read my post? The manager has to 'ok' those wages/signing on fees... I'd also suggest that he wasn't concerned by it at all considering the massive wages we see Degen and Plessis on.

What did Parry do then? Sign papers? What was the reason for Rafa wanting more control if he already had to OK wages? What does Purslow do now, when Hodgson refers all financial questions to him? Have Hodgson still OK things?

My understanding was that Rafa OKd the players, financial matters were first Parry's business, then Rafa got greater control. Now with Hodgson, they're back with the CEO. And stop worrying about Lamborghinis, they are seriously uncool...

I'd be gutted if we let Johnson go.

With centre backs who have a bit of paces, he'd be even better.

He's brillaint going forward so there'll be gaps when he does go forward, it's somone else's job to cover for him.

I agree Paul.

Considering the fact that we played 2 holding midfielders last season, you'd have thought Johnson would have had someone drop in to cover for him when he goes on his sorties into the oppositions final third.

We would have been completely one dimensional last season without him.

They sniped when he was here and it seems as though they ain't gonna stop now hes gone. Does this gobshite of a writer for goal.com not realise whats going on in the world? The club is in debt up to its eyeballs but apparently only a few players are safe from the managers axe because Rafa has left shite behind, utter bollocks.

That article could have been written about any club in the top flight who have just got a new manager.

Some of the shit slinging at the ex gaffer is fucking sad and pathetic. Hes gone now get over it.

If Roy succeeds it will be because Roy Hodgson has done his job brilliantly.

If Roy fails it will be because Roy Hodgson has not done his job properly, whilst also being hindered by the ownership situation admittedly.

It really is as simple as that for me. The ex manager needs to be taken out of the equation as regards anything Hodgson does.

Its Goal.com but still worth posting.

Goal.com Special Report: Nearly entire Liverpool squad up for sale - Goal.com

Only Gerrard, Carragher, Torres, Reina & Agger 'untouchable'

22 Jul 2010 09:24:00

EXCLUSIVE

By Wayne Veysey | Chief correspondent

Only a handful of Liverpool players are safe from the axe as the first-team squad faces its biggest cull in the club’s history.

A combination of the club’s £351 million debts and the inadequacies of the team that new manager Roy Hodgson has inherited from predecessor Rafael Benitez means that Liverpool are willing to listen to offers for more than half of the squad.

Lucas Leiva, David Ngog, Sotirios Kyrgiakos, Damien Plessis, Charles Itandje, Diego Cavalieri, Phillip Degen and Nabil El Zhar are all up for sale while Hodgson has not yet made up his mind on Dirk Kuyt, Ryan Babel, Martin Skrtel and Maxi Rodriguez.

Liverpool are also willing to allow Glen Johnson and £17m flop Alberto Aquilani to leave, although switches are unlikely this summer as the club accept they will not receive the fees they paid for the pair 12 months ago. A more realistic timeframe is for Aquilani to go back to Italy in January when he has had a run of games for the first team.

The only players who are deemed untouchable are Steven Gerrard, Fernando Torres, Jamie Carragher, Jose Reina, Daniel Agger and Javier Mascherano, although the Argentinian has made it clear that he wants to move to Inter Milan and link up with former boss Benitez.

With Yossi Benayoun and Fabio Aurelio having already moved on and Emiliano Insua and Albert Riera set to join them, an astonishing 18 senior players who were at Anfield at the end of last season have left, are leaving or face the prospect of being surplus to requirements.

“Everybody apart from Gerrard, Carragher, Torres and a few others are up for sale,” a Liverpool source told Goal.com UK. “Agents have been told to find new homes for all the fringe players and it is fairly obvious that big names will go too if they get the right offers.”

The astonishing rate of turnover among the Academy players is set to continue as the club seek to rectify some of the mistakes made after Benitez took full control of youth team affairs last summer.

The source added: “It will take years to repair the damage that Rafael Benitez has done at Liverpool in one way or another. If you look at the amount of money he spent, it is an absolute fortune. Some of the agents' fees are frightening. Five years of mismanagement has now come to fruition.”

Hodgson was told when he took the Liverpool job earlier this month that he would have a transfer pot of £15m plus whatever he could generate from player sales.

However, so grave are the club’s financial problems that Anfield sources are concerned that cash generated will be used to pay off the huge debt leveraged on the club by owners George Gillett and Tom Hicks.

Liverpool’s parent company Kop Holdings is £351m in the red with annual interest repayments of £40m while the club itself has debts of £237m.

Since the end of last season Liverpool have brought in four new players – Danny Wilson for an initial £2m, Jonjo Shelvey for £1.7m and Joe Cole and Milan Jovanovic on free transfers. The five-times Champions League winners have recouped £6m on Benayoun and are set to bring in another £9.2m by off-loading Insua and Riera to Fiorentina and Olympiakos, respectively.

Behind the scenes, there is confusion about who is actually sanctioning the incomings and outgoings. Managing director Christian Purslow and chief scout Eduardo Macia, Benitez’s former right-hand man and fellow Spaniard, who held the title of sporting director at Valencia, are understood to be heavily involved in decision-making as well as transfer negotiations.

“If Roy Hodgson is the person buying the players I will have far more confidence,” said the source. “Also, will he be allowed to use the money by the Americans? If Roy Hodgson gets it, he will use it well.”

I fail to see how anyone can claim benitez left us in a better position than Houllier did. And, the fact that so many of the first team squad is up for sale has little to do with the club's finances and much to do with benitez's shit buys!

Still, some blind fools will claim its a crock of shit and really, we are better off. Yeah, right.

Did you read my post? The manager has to 'ok' those wages/signing on fees... I'd also suggest that he wasn't concerned by it at all considering the massive wages we see Degen and Plessis on.

Did you read about his first meeting with a group from SOS when he described all players (including Carragher) as money grubbers - or some such phrase?

I think Benitez has been a disaster overall in the Transfer market, and deserved to lose his Job for the dealings since Yossi/Torres, but that article is poor.

Are you saying Maxi on a free, Kyriagos for sixpence (because there was no transfer funds), Johnson, Aquilani and the others were "disasters"? What about Wilson, Shelvey and Jovanovic - all of whom were selected by Rafa and approved by Hodgson? And what about all the other players Rafa bought whose values have increased significantly? And don't forget all the long and improved contracts he secured for Gerrard, Carragher, Torres, Mascherano, Agger, Skyrtel, Yossi and all the others putting the club in a good negotiating position if any of them were to be sold?

And Rafa's sales - wasn't 30-35 million pounds pretty good for Alonso considering the player had already had a deal to go to Real Madrid and had undertaken to help RM get him for less than 19 million?

Rafa was more restricted than any other top 7 manager with the funds he was given and the cock-eyed, late and unreliable manner in which the funds were made available. He did very well in building the squad from what it was under Houllier to what it is today and along the way he got to two CL finals, won the FA CUp, scored the highest number of goals and the highest number of PL points in LFC's history.

Your use of the word "disaster" is a little hysterical.

What bollocks. Was that Liverpool source Gerard Houllier by any chance? Fucking clown.

We had a shocker last season but any fan who knows his football will realise we have a good squad needing a few repairs and that's it. Last season Benitez created a destructive negativity which was more damaging than any transfer dealings he ever made. That was his undoing.

What squad was is better, the one Rafa left us with, or the one Houllier left us with?

Rafa's for me. So despite some monumental fuck ups in the transfer market, he has still left us with a very decent squad.

That said, I believe it was time for him and the club to move on.

LINKED?! LINKED?! We've been linked to roughly 60 players in the last few weeks. So, I guess that makes Roy's transfer policy very scattergunned? What the fuck... LINKED?! Fuck off with that, Benitaur. Seriously...

Anyway, you can point your fingers at our rivals and talk about their spending habits, but that doesn't excuse OUR spending habits. We are not them. They are not us.

It's a mutually exclusive situation... Benitez pissed money down the tubes with poor transfer targets based on a poor player information, and then signed them with very excessive wages and signing on fees. Apparently, our agent fees were absolutely insane, and stinks of dodgy dealings, as well. (Granted, I rest any dodgy dealings at the feet of Macia... not Benitez, but I don't think Benitez was ignorant of the situation)

We've also signed truly terrible youth/reserve players that had no business being brought to the club, and seeing shite like Damian Plessis driving through Liverpool in a Black Lamborghini tells the story very fucking clearly.

What I meant was Roy, by the reports so far, has NO say in transfer policy. All the players sold like Insua seem to be out of his hands. So too all the players bought.

Jovanovic and Shelvey were bought by Rafa. Wilson was linked to us before the world cup too. And Cole, as he himself said, joined the biggest club in England, and probably would have done so if Rafa was still in charge

Not surprisingly, it is not Roy, but Purslow who is in charge of convincing Torres to stay.

Looks like Roy has no role in transfers whatsoever except to convince Cole personally that he is a good coach.

There has been several articles on the way this worked by Rafa. He identifies the players, Parry goes and get them

That is why Rafa was so frustrated when we lost out on Barry, Simao etc. Rafa only had full control of fees and salary last season, when Parry left.

If not we would never have bought Johnson and maybe Aquilani. And we would probably have been fucked off for Alonso on the cheap by Real. This is why he was so frustrated when we didn't have the money for Silva. Because he was balancing the books, and on the books there was plenty of money left by trading Alonso and Arbeloa for Aqualani and Johnson

my god

have you ever played football?

this guy is a laughing stock with every other club. they rub their hands in delight when they see him on the team sheet.

"ok lads kuyt is playing, show him inside, get tight, we all know his touch is shit".......guess what......it worked for every game he has ever played against any team.....

now add to that the fact he cant link up with the full back......you have a blue print to beat liverpool.....

and many teams did.

how many clubs have offered for dirk since we bought him?

good player my ass.

Besides Messi, Ronaldo, Robben and Ribery, name me ONE "winger" in a top league (Spain, England or Italy) that scores more than Kuyt (10+ goals a season) every season?

Yes, he is not a fancy dan who dribbles past 10 players and hoofs a cross to the crowd

But consistently, he is only inferior to those above mentioned players.

He also always scores IMPORTANT goals too. Not the last goal in a 4-0 trashing, but the matchwinners or equalizers.

Look at his stats even in the world cup. How many would Sneider have scored if Kuyt didn't give the assist?

I think Benitez has been a disaster overall in the Transfer market, and deserved to lose his Job for the dealings since Yossi/Torres, but that article is poor.

But he's given me my best moment in a lifetimes support of LFC, if we relive the main moments of our lives before snuffing it think I'll remember Istanbull and Rafa, the likes of you on the other hand will remember him for Degen etc. Then again, never mind we've always got Purslow.

Looks like Roy has no role in transfers whatsoever except to convince Cole personally that he is a good coach.

Yeah because a manager would come to a club where he wouldn't have any control over transfers behave :whatever: it seems as if Roy isn't that sort of manager

Yeah because a manager would come to a club where he wouldn't have any control over transfers behave :whatever: it seems as if Roy isn't that sort of manager

Well, its true so far isn't it? You seem to be assuming alot from what you think a manager should be.

It isn't so, if not Rafa would not have to fight for control of the transfers, and it clearly isn't so based on Roy's comments so far in the papers

FFS Purslow is the one supposedly trying to convince Torres to stay, not Roy. For all we know he is telling Torres he has to go for the sake of the club's finances.

Considering since then, Rafa has had to operate his transfers for a net profit, thats pretty unfair isn't it?

Its not like he's Harry Redknapp (not even going to mention City of Chelsea) shopping like there's no tomorrow, then hopping clubs when it all goes tits up financially.

Hell the bitters have more to spend net than us the last few transfer seasons

Even this one. Yes there's lots of excitement about Joe Cole, and to a lesser extent maybe Milan, Shelvey and Wilson, but besides pay, what is the total outlay? Milan and Cole cost zero while Shelvey and Wilson cost less than 2 million each

The sale of Benayoun should cover that easily. But lets not cover up the fact that so far we spent less than zero net.

Yeah, league winning team on the cheap. Thats us

How do you know this is true. Maybe the manager has now identified the players he wants and the player he wants to keeps(Torres) and he asks the rat Purslow to go and DO HIS JOB and do what he has to do. Hodgson has to coach his players and see what he has. He hasnt got much time has he really to see what he has.

If you had the choice, what would you rather have?

1 - The manager flying out to Spain for 2 days to speak to his centre forward and then go to Argentina to speak to the mercenary cunt and not attend the training camps?

Or

2- The manager staying and getting the best out of his players he can. After all he has only 2 friendlies in between the 2 qualifying games before we play Arsenal in our first league game?

We can hate Purslow until were blue in the face but maybe he is doing what he is supposed to be doing. Something that Rick Parry wasnt very good at.

And all that 'maybe he is telling Torres to go' is a load fucking shit. Scaremongering and just sounds something like SOS progaganda.

I hate Purslow but sometimes some fans want to cause some kind of conspiracy theory and keep the negativity going for the sake of it.

I am just looking forward to the start of the season to watch some real football.